Baby BMW Forum banner

Replacement Key

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Uncle Tupelo 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I would like a 3rd key for my 125D, is it possible to purchase a 2nd hand key and program this myself at home? Or are used ekys not able to be re-used on another vehicle? I am not in need of the physical key part.

Wayne

#2 ·
wlmoate said:
I would like a 3rd key for my 125D, is it possible to purchase a 2nd hand key and program this myself at home?
Given all the furore in recent years about BMW keys being reprogrammed and used to steal cars, I (along with most other owners) very much hope not!

You'll need to buy it from your dealer and get them to code it to your car. Even if it is still possible to code a key yourself - and I really, *really* hope BMW have learned their lesson on that - the price of the kit needed to do it will be far more than the price of a key from your dealer.

#3 ·
I would also be interested in finding out if there is anywhere cheaper than the dealership to get this done.

Unbelievably, I bought the car from a private trader who advised it came with 2 keys however the battery was flat in 1 of the keys which is obviously a simple fix. Having replaced the battery a few weeks later I was confused as to why it wouldn't start the car using the stop start button. I then tried the actual key to open the door manually and realised the key is not for my car!!

So I now only have 1 key fob for my car as well as another for a completely different car. Is a new key fob from the dealership my only option? I believe they charge around £250.

#4 ·
fez_7 said:
Is a new key fob from the dealership my only option? I believe they charge around £250.
No, my preferred option would be to go back to the dealer who sold the car (advertised with 2 keys) and insit on the key you were sold. Is it possible they have mixed up the keys and the wrong one you have is for another of their cars?

#5 ·
Tried this. At first my calls and texts were ignored. Eventually I spoke to him and he is adamant it was only sold with 1 key, despite giving me 2. I'm currently waiting for AutoTrader to get back to me with a copy of the advert. I'm sure it was advertised with 2 keys so I'm thinking of possibly putting in a money claim if I have to for the cost of a replacement key.

#9 ·
Uncle Tupelo said:
fez_7 said:
Is a new key fob from the dealership my only option? I believe they charge around £250.
No, my preferred option would be to go back to the dealer who sold the car (advertised with 2 keys) and insit on the key you were sold. Is it possible they have mixed up the keys and the wrong one you have is for another of their cars?
Delighted to confirm this has now been resolved! After threatening court proceedings and him referring my letter to his solicitor, he has now paid BMW directly for my replacement key which should arrive tomorrow!

Thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.