Baby BMW Forum banner

Metal dust cap is stuck on tyre valve

16K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  spl23 
#1 ·
I know it's well known but I wasn't aware that the metal dust caps can seize. Apparently you're supposed to lubricate the valve before putting the metal ones on.

I've used a load of WD40 and left it to soak and even tried two pliers with one valve and one on actual dust cap. I don't want to use any more force in case it breaks the valve. Has anyone got any other tips for getting this blasted dust cap off? My pressure warning has just started going off.

BMW have offered to help if I book an appointment but I imagine that'll cost a lot.

Regards,

Yao

#6 ·
Oh bugger, I have some metal BMW caps I bought on holiday and they've been on for 6 months. :eek2:

#7 ·
they've been on for 6 months
you've not checked your tyre pressures in 6 months !!!

#8 ·
tweeky said:
Actually, yes I have and I never noticed them being hard to remove so they should be OK.

#9 ·
OneTwenty said:
tweeky said:
Actually, yes I have and I never noticed them being hard to remove so they should be OK.
Just a little wee bit of copper slip/grease on the thread when putting the metal caps back on and they'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Twenny said:
OneTwenty said:
tweeky said:
Just a little wee bit of copper slip/grease on the thread when putting the metal caps back on and they'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed.

What's a bit of lube between friends? :lol2:

#15 ·
identti said:
Mine did this on 2 wheels!

Took it to my local Kwik Fit across the road. They tried to get them off and they ended up breaking into bits before they came off!

They replaced the valves on two tyres and put plastic ones on all round for free :spotman:
Did they programme the sensors too?

#17 ·
marco_polo said:
Blades1977 said:
Did they programme the sensors too?
Eh? Stock sensors never need programming.
Interesting, had tyres on the drive around yesterday to change all 4 tyres. I bought a new sensor as passenger rear is stuck. So the guy said to me that he didn't want to try to take the tyre off and replace the sensor as if anything happened I'd be left without a car. He left me the tyre and the plan is to take the new tyre and sensor to bmw Rochdale tomorrow...confused!

#18 ·
Blades1977 said:
Interesting, had tyres on the drive around yesterday to change all 4 tyres. I bought a new sensor as passenger rear is stuck. So the guy said to me that he didn't want to try to take the tyre off and replace the sensor as if anything happened I'd be left without a car. He left me the tyre and the plan is to take the new tyre and sensor to bmw Rochdale tomorrow...confused!
You just bought a repair kit presumably? No need to replace the electronics at all, if it's just a stuck valve cap?

#19 ·
marco_polo said:
Blades1977 said:
You just bought a repair kit presumably? No need to replace the electronics at all, if it's just a stuck valve cap?

Yeah that's it

#23 ·
Thanks for the warning about this! I fitted both my summer and winter wheels with metal dust caps when I got my F20 (as that is how the wheels for my E87 were supplied - never had any problems on that). On reading this, I thought I'd better go and check the caps on my winter wheels, as I tend to rely on the TPMS values and not be quite as diligent about checking pressures manually, so the caps have been on for a couple of months. Two came off easily; one required a pair of pliers and a small amount of force, but the fourth was welded in place. I tried hot water from a kettle, a blowtorch, WD40, pliers and mole grips - nothing would budge it. In the end I resorted to cutting it off with a hacksaw; this was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be, but in the process I damaged the threads on the valve, so I have had to buy a valve repair kit (£19 from your local dealer parts counter), and will be taking it to my friendly local fast-fit this evening.

I'll remove the metal caps from my summer wheels before they go back on the car, as well. You live and learn - never again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.