Baby BMW Forum banner

Nav map updates

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  stag74 
#1 ·
Is there a specific month bmw release new maps? The most up to date one for my cars is 2018-1 so far, hoping to get the next release before my 3series subscription ends in September..

#5 ·
In my case I had to download bmw download manager then had to download a ~30gb file to USB and then plug USB into car. Its an absolute ball ache especially as I drive about 4miles a day so it takes an age to download into the car. My car(s) are business nav ..

#6 ·
I had to do the manual download with the BMW download software too. It took ages (36 hours!) to download the file and verify it, but I just left my pc on in my office. After that a compiled file was transferred to a memory stick which was downloaded via the usb in the car. Job done.
It might have taken a long time but no real effort required from me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
moulin12 said:
Goon said:
Any idea how these updates are installed?
If you're inside the 3 years subscription that comes as standard with the car, then automatically via the embedded sim. It will usually ask you if you want to update, though I have a feeling that it does it automatically if you don't respond.
I've never had an automatic update, always had to manually update mine.

#9 ·
If you have a Connected Drive subscription, then the UK maps should automatically download and update. You may see a notification on the car's nav screen. The refresh doesn't seem to follow any regular schedule. The PC-based download is only necessary if you need to update the rest of Europe, which isn't automatically updated in the car. Or if you want to get the UK updates a bit ahead of the automatic downloads.

The long download time is usually a sign that you need to move the default download folder off a system folder (like /WINDOWS), cloud drive or network drive. Long downloads are also prone to transmission errors which will make the update file fail the integrity check on the PC or in the car. On a decent link, the download time should be around 45 minutes. I'd recommend a direct Ethernet cable link to your router rather than WiFi.

So if you have a long download time, take the option to name a substitute download folder destination that isn't a system, cloud, or network drive. It should tell you straight away the estimated download time once it starts the process.

I've profiled the download over my wired fibre-to-the-house 500Mbps link and it's quite odd - the network graph never hits maximum bandwidth. It has a 'sawtooth' pattern with quite long phases of only average download volumes. In all, I think the process is limited by the upstream BMW server/network capacity so you'll never get faster than a 45 min download because of the BMW end, however good your link may be,

#11 ·
msej449 said:
If you have a Connected Drive subscription, then the UK maps should automatically download and update.
Should but not always the case. Like I said I've never had an auto update since I got the car.

#12 ·
neilmcl said:
Like I said I've never had an auto update since I got the car.
Umm. Well, if you have a Connected Drive subscription, then you should get automated, in-car updates for the UK. Have you logged-in to your CD account? If it looks like it's active for map updates, then you may have to talk to BMW to sort it out their end.

Really, this is something dealers should shift their a**es on and sort out before you collect the car. They should just ask you for an email address to use and set it up. But they can't be bothered. BMW don't see themselves as a digital product supplier, but so much of the owner's experience is reliant on the digital bits working smoothly.

#13 ·
When I called into my local dealer to pick up a pair of black kidneys, they asked me if they could have my key to check for any updates, problems with the car, including sat nav updates.
They were probably more interested if it was due to be booked in for a service however!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.