Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: What lights am I getting??

Post by msej449 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:33 pm

My 2016 M235i with the same Adaptive and Full Beam Assist has the full functionality. My recollection is that the M135i at the time did not, so this causes some confusion. When you press the 'A=' button on the left stalk and have 'A=' set on the headlight dial, it will go into full beams if it's dark ahead, then 1. dip the driver's side beam when it detects oncoming headlights (but not the passenger side - very useful on country roads) 2. 'box' a car in front with a dark rectangle using the red tail lights and move the 'box' up/down and left/right dynamically as the car's position changes and 3. drop full beam in well-lit areas and when the car lights ahead are ambiguous. I'm told that it also flattens the dipped beam a bit to help illuminate cyclists ahead, but if it does, it's not noticeably different to me.

My experience is that it's about as fast as me in responding to oncoming car lights. This can make it seem a bit slower than you might expect for an electronic sensor. But unlike a human, it's not distracted: so if you're concentrating on the road, steering, gearchange etc. it'll act, when a human would be slower or not get 'round to dipping the beam at all. I found it took a while for me to become confident it would do the job all the time.

What it can't do, obviously, is work out that a light in the distance on a road you know well means a car will suddenly appear 'round the next corner. Despite this I love the tech and became a convert on my previous 3 Series - I wouldn't be without it now. Be aware that when you go abroad with the Xenons, you can't use the Adaptive ('A=') settings and have to engage/drop full beam yourself, manually. This is because it's semi-mechanical and the LHD and RHD components are different, so there's no way to switch the lights to the opposite side.

The other reason for going Adaptive and FBA is that in my opinion, the BMW designers seem to have set up the Xenons to be used in conjunction with these two: the basic setup is a flat beam that is set quite low. There are threads about how to raise this higher - some people find it's too short a throw if they only have a manual full beam. But if you have Adaptive+FBA then you run A= and full beam by default and you always have full beam on the left side unless it's not needed.

There is also a lot of confusion caused because at one time, you could order Adaptive and FBA separately. Given dealer confusion, this meant that some owners got cars with one option but not the other. As mentioned, for a while, what was called Adaptive wasn't the same on the 1 and 2. And it also seems that early LCDs didn't have the full functionality either, again with dealers getting confused and people wishing they'd gone for the Xenons.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

Chubbs369

Post by Chubbs369 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:04 am

spl23 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:24 pm
Chubbs369 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:44 pm
I don't think the sensors are smart enough to tell condition of oil...
Yes, they do - the same sensor which measures the oil level also measures the electrical conductivity of the oil, which is used to determine how much life it has left. See http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E64/oil-sensors.pdf
Chubbs369 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:44 pm
Only 20k miles on the car so within their recommendations.
[/

Thanks for the info, didn’t realise how sophisticated the sensors are now.

I was up at the dealer on Saturday and it doesn’t have full matrix, just auto dip and they will turn round corners.

Expect to buy this week following an inspection from my mechanic.

Thanks all

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 pm

Airblade550 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 pm

These Xenon Adaptives will not have the same ability as the LED Full Adaptive system that dips and moves each beam independently such as appearing to split when a car comes towards you, or have one lamp on dip and one on full. That is only on the LED adaptive system fitted to later cars.
That's incorrect advice. Possibly you're confusing the series 2 adaptive xenons setup with that on the m140i. As has been said, the m240i with adaptive xexons comes with split beam, which was also available on other cars higher up the range (I have split beams on mine, and what jolly good fun they are). The question is whether this function was available on the 2014 m235i.
F22 M240i 8AT

Chubbs369

Post by Chubbs369 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:47 pm

moulin12 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 pm
Airblade550 wrote:

These Xenon Adaptives will not have the same ability as the LED Full Adaptive system that dips and moves each beam independently such as appearing to split when a car comes towards you, or have one lamp on dip and one on full. That is only on the LED adaptive system fitted to later cars.
That's incorrect advice. Possibly you're confusing the series 2 adaptive xenons setup with that on the m140i. As has been said, the m240i with adaptive xexons comes with split beam, which was also available on other cars higher up the range (I have split beams on mine, and what jolly good fun they are). The question is whether this function was available on the 2014 m235i.
For others future reference...

Bought the car a week or so ago, some of you may have seen my post Disaster on day 1...

First time in the dark last night and was like a kid at Christmas. The beam moved around corners, auto up and down as expected, but also dipped RHS for oncoming vehicles whilst maintaining full beam on LHS. It didn't just dip the RHS either, it actually followed the oncoming vehicle and shaped the beam around it. I didn't end up following any cars so cant say if it will go around them / do the box thing but I'm chuffed with what I have.
2014 AW M235i, m performance body kit, carbon wings and spoiler, 624m 19"

Previous cars - F10 525d, 1999 Passat, 2004 Rover 75 Tourer

Chubbs369

Post by Chubbs369 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:52 pm

barneyrubble wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:38 pm
services are generally done by mileage or every 2 years. SO at 4 years it would be due its second oil and second brake fluid service.

Edit: just looked it up and the brake fluid might be every 3 now.
Regardless, it's due something :lol: :lol:
Ended up buying the car and whilst there was only one main service, it had been in 2 other times recorded on the idrive, once for brake fluid and I cant remember the other one, so much more content

Thanks for the advice
2014 AW M235i, m performance body kit, carbon wings and spoiler, 624m 19"

Previous cars - F10 525d, 1999 Passat, 2004 Rover 75 Tourer

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Chubbs369 wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:47 pm
moulin12 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:57 pm
Airblade550 wrote:

For others future reference...

Bought the car a week or so ago, some of you may have seen my post Disaster on day 1...

First time in the dark last night and was like a kid at Christmas. The beam moved around corners, auto up and down as expected, but also dipped RHS for oncoming vehicles whilst maintaining full beam on LHS. It didn't just dip the RHS either, it actually followed the oncoming vehicle and shaped the beam around it. I didn't end up following any cars so cant say if it will go around them / do the box thing but I'm chuffed with what I have.
Fun isn't it? :-) It will be the 'box' thing. As I recall (don't do much night driving), it's best seen when on a straight, dimly lit road (like a straight A road between conurbations.
F22 M240i 8AT

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”