Find out more about the BMW 1 Series F20, F21, F22 & F23
Manufactured from end of 2011

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Speedychuck
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Sport mode Vs Sport +

Post by Speedychuck » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:58 pm

Salad wrote:Come on fellas where your sense of fun and a little bit of danger...!?

Of course I'd be safe and considerate to other road users but what's the point of buying the only rear wheel drive in it's class If you can't hang the ass out... This is the point surely..,!???
I bought RWD with absolutely no intention whatsoever of drifting it. In fact, I wish a 4wd option had been around. I just love the car and much prefer RWD over FWD. Could never really understand the point of drifting. Surely if it was the fastest way round a track then the F1 drivers would be doing it. :?
'09 AW N54 135i - CIC - Logic 7 HiFi - MHD Stage2+ 98 - Wagner Evo 1 Performance I/C - VRSF Intakes - STC downpipes - 550i Clutch - BMWP Mirrors / Diffuser / Grilles / Skirts / Y-Pipe - SSDD Spoiler
12.9sec 1/4 mile @ 112mph - Santa Pod

Benis
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Benis » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:57 pm

When I bought my M135i from BMW the dealer told me to be careful because the car records the vehicle settings on a rolling 50 miles, which the insurer can request from the police/approved repairer. If they see you'd turned off all the nannies they can simply refuse to pay out.

Not sure if he was telling pork pies but doing so didn't seem to net him any benefit, thus I'm not inclined to disbelieve him!

Gimbal
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gimbal » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:34 pm

Benis wrote:When I bought my M135i from BMW the dealer told me to be careful because the car records the vehicle settings on a rolling 50 miles, which the insurer can request from the police/approved repairer. If they see you'd turned off all the nannies they can simply refuse to pay out.

Not sure if he was telling pork pies but doing so didn't seem to net him any benefit, thus I'm not inclined to disbelieve him!
That does seem weird though, I have never heard of an insurance company that states that you have to drive in certain modes. But I guess it's another thing if they can se that you have been driving waay over speed limit right before the accident.

Benis
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Benis » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:56 pm

I agree with you. I'm gonna read through my Ts and Cs tonight and see if there is anything in there that voids a policy if you disable safety features on public roads.

I can see it being a thing, unfortunately, much as I'd like it not to be. Insurers will use any excuse.

HammyUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HammyUK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:09 pm

If you really believe that the police investigation teams don't have access to technology equal and greater than that of the service centre then you really should hand your keys over and sit on the special bus with your bump cap on.
Your car records EVERYTHING whether you want it to or not.
They can, will and have prosecuted drivers after interrogating the ECU's of crashed vehicles.

If the OP wants to be a total f*ckwit on the road then he can jog on and do so - just stay the hell away from anywhere near where me, my friends and family are because he won't like the consequences when he gets it wrong.
Which he will.
F21 135i pre-lci, AW, 3dr, CR, HK and an ever increasing toy list :D

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Twenny » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:30 pm

He's got plenty wrong already.

Posting on a public forum for one.

Expecting us to be impressed that he can drive like a cnut for two.

Strange character. Oh well let's hope when he gets it wrong he hits a lamp post rather than someone's car or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

davidv111

Post by davidv111 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:37 pm

HammyUK wrote:If you really believe that the police investigation teams don't have access to technology equal and greater than that of the service centre then you really should hand your keys over and sit on the special bus with your bump cap on.
They can, will and have prosecuted drivers after interrogating the ECU's of crashed vehicles.

If the OP wants to be a total f*ckwit on the road then he can jog on and do so - just stay the hell away from anywhere near where me, my friends and family are because he won't like the consequences when he gets it wrong.
Which he will.
Exactly this. About a year or so there was a crash that involved a Range Rover in a 30mph limit, it hit a family and wiped them out, the police were able to tell that at the moment of the crash the ecu was recording 73mph - they can find what ever they want
Now: Snapper Rocks Blue 440i Auto; Dynamic & M Sport + packs, digital dash & more

Previous:
Estoril LCI M135i Manual
Thunder grey 2013 MINI JCW GP
Slate grey Porsche Cayman 2.7
Sapphire black E82 120d M Sport

Speedychuck
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Speedychuck » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:10 pm

davidv111 wrote:
HammyUK wrote:If you really believe that the police investigation teams don't have access to technology equal and greater than that of the service centre then you really should hand your keys over and sit on the special bus with your bump cap on.

Which he will.
Exactly this. About a year or so there was a crash that involved a Range Rover in a 30mph limit, it hit a family and wiped them out, the police were able to tell that at the moment of the crash the ecu was recording 73mph - they can find what ever they want
Some of this is true I'm sure. Some cars record a snapshot when the airbags are deployed. I seem to remember I could pull it up in my old S3 using VAGcom. Whether they record everything in normal driving conditions is another matter. There's a lot of data there and I simply don't think the car would be able to store it.
'09 AW N54 135i - CIC - Logic 7 HiFi - MHD Stage2+ 98 - Wagner Evo 1 Performance I/C - VRSF Intakes - STC downpipes - 550i Clutch - BMWP Mirrors / Diffuser / Grilles / Skirts / Y-Pipe - SSDD Spoiler

HammyUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HammyUK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Speedychuck wrote:
davidv111 wrote:

Which he will.
Some of this is true I'm sure. Some cars record a snapshot when the airbags are deployed. I seem to remember I could pull it up in my old S3 using VAGcom. Whether they record everything in normal driving conditions is another matter. There's a lot of data there and I simply don't think the car would be able to store it.
Think about how much information is stored on your phone.
32/64/128GB? More?
Then think about how small a microsSD card is.
Then think about how big an ECU is and how big the processing chips are and the processing power it has in comparison to your phone.
Then think again about just how much information it can store.

I've sat in the workshop at Broadcut whilst they "officially" wiped all the programming from my 330D M-Tech I bought from Hants Police.
They could go back over 30days to any point and see throttle position, speed, gear, etc, etc , etc.
That was a 54 plate.
I've been asked if I want the ECU "looking" at on the M135 to make sure its "ok ;) "

Speedychuck
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Speedychuck » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:30 pm

HammyUK wrote:
Speedychuck wrote:
davidv111 wrote:
32/64/128GB? More?
Then think about how big an ECU is and how big the processing chips are and the processing power it has in comparison to your phone.

I've sat in the workshop at Broadcut whilst they "officially" wiped all the programming from my 330D M-Tech I bought from Hants Police.
They could go back over 30days to any point and see throttle position, speed, gear, etc, etc , etc.
That was a 54 plate.
I've been asked if I want the ECU "looking" at on the M135 to make sure its "ok ;) "
Seems a bit invasive but I certainly can't prove you wrong so I can't disagree with what you say.

330D from the police must have been a weapon. My dad had an ex armed response met police E60 525d. I've never driven such a fast diesel. He wrote that off and just bought an F10 530d ex traffic car. Silly fast for such a big car.

sonnyx

Post by sonnyx » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Invisiblename wrote:
Salad wrote:Come on fellas where your sense of fun and a little bit of danger...!?

Of course I'd be safe and considerate to other road users but what's the point of buying the only rear wheel drive in it's class If you can't hang the ass out... This is the point surely..,!???
Which part of the country do you do most of your "fun"? I want to avoid you like the plague!!
haha i like this comment, nice one
Range Rover Vogue v8 17 Matt black 22" wheels
Red Alfa

HammyUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HammyUK » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Speedychuck wrote:
HammyUK wrote:
Speedychuck wrote:
32/64/128GB? More?

That was a 54 plate.
Seems a bit invasive but I certainly can't prove you wrong so I can't disagree with what you say.

330D from the police must have been a weapon. My dad had an ex armed response met police E60 525d. I've never driven such a fast diesel. He wrote that off and just bought an F10 530d ex traffic car. Silly fast for such a big car.
Was a monster! Was covert/armed response too.
Steptronic Touring auto with "about" 500nm. Their rolling road topped out at that then so they couldn't say the exact figure.
Bloody suspension was a fortune which is why it went in the end - everything had to come from the factory via germany.
Still did 40mpg though at 70 on cruise but ate rear tyres like the Cookie monster does cookies :D

I'm still in and out of there for various reasons hence them asking if I want mine "looking at" - without throwing money at the suspension first there's no way I want the sort of power their 335/535's are running yet.

neilmcl
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by neilmcl » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:27 pm

Benis wrote:When I bought my M135i from BMW the dealer told me to be careful because the car records the vehicle settings on a rolling 50 miles, which the insurer can request from the police/approved repairer. If they see you'd turned off all the nannies they can simply refuse to pay out.

I call BS on that I'm afraid.
Now: F20 LCI 120d M Sport, Alpine White, Driver & Interior Comfort Pack, Leather, Sun protection, Black panel display
Old: F20 120d xDrive M Sport, Alpine White, Comfort Pack, Xenons, Leather, Sun protection
Old: E87 118D M Sport Alpine White

Salad

Post by Salad » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Come on fella's there's no need to get so upset and if you don't mind me saying just a little bit paranoid. I don't plan to be hanging the ass out in the town centre just when it's safe to do so. Just near Sonnyx's house for example!!! Hee hee

And for that plank 'Twenny' who mentioned I shouldn't be mentioning it on a public forum...! You need to get out more mate!

My personal opinion is that the insurance companies wouldn't be checking an ECU unless there was a death caused.

Oh by the way, happy new year.

Invisiblename
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Invisiblename » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:01 pm

Salad wrote:Come on fella's there's no need to get so upset and if you don't mind me saying just a little bit paranoid. I don't plan to be hanging the ass out in the town centre just when it's safe to do so. Just near Sonnyx's house for example!!! Hee hee

And for that plank 'Twenny' who mentioned I shouldn't be mentioning it on a public forum...! You need to get out more mate!

My personal opinion is that the insurance companies wouldn't be checking an ECU unless there was a death caused.

Oh by the way, happy new year.
So, in your case, most likely!!
M140i Mineral Grey / Corel Red, auto, Adaptive Suspension, Pro Media, heated seats & wheel, Sunroof, reverse camera, assisted park (now THAT''S scary!), Harman Kardon, CarPlay
Previous E89 Z4 2.8i M sport

Return to “F20, F21, F22, F23 (2011 - tbd)”