Converting Garage Into Home Cinema How?

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Converting Garage Into Home Cinema How?

Post by HaiderGill » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:29 pm

Absolutely there are limits to what can be achieved acoustically with regard to budget, what you can live with and the limitations of the building. My aim is making sure the speaker are in the correct locations are correct, soft furnishing to absorb reflections and some sound proofing so we can watch at night without waking the kids. It also a space for the kids to watch some Disney animations. Not looking to create the final word in movies and music. Now if I had a mansion like the picture above I would also have a dedicated cinema built. I'm also doing the rest of the house up too.
120d RS Steptronic 5 door in Sparkling Graphite, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit, black leather, 17inch V spoke rims, Professional Sat-Nav, Ipod, Bluetooth, custom speaker install, performance pedals:)

Red5
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Red5 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:50 pm

If you get all the details correct, it doesn't cost much more to achieve a proper little cinema :)

Don't alcove your speakers, as this can be detrimental. Fix each one in the correct spot on the wall, then fix foam around them and hover the screen proud / floating off the wall.
There are specific things you can do to make the LCR sound way better. % of wall above and below is important, as is distance from side walls in relation to seating location.
Asymmetry can also be used to great effect when you're hiding the speakers, as it can reduce standing waves and cancellations to a massive degree!

The hard part is knowing which dimensions to juggle in/out of exact spec, to better suit the shape, build and design of the room for each system / customer. I always subconsciously asses a rooms acoustics when I walk into them :oops:

Passive pic enhancement.....
A big part of achieving good image punch, is to have the room a warm, darker colour. The screen wall should be darker still.
This will feel cosy and snug and really relaxing at any time! Reading, listening to music and of course TV and films will all be better, for no additional costs.

Don't worry too much about exact THX speaker placement, as your room is not going to be totally THX-ish :wink:
None of the above costs money to get right. It might actually cost less :)

The rears will look a little dumb on wall brackets, but I'm sure I can suggest an better alternative, with the help of pics and diagrams.

Acoustic panels can be really affordable and carpet can be used to good effect in some ares too.

The Blue Sound I mentioned is a more affordable and expandable than the Meridian system. It will play Hi-Res files and of course CD quality rips and streams. Have a look at that.
Good audio circuits and dacs in these.
You'd want a Node2 to add to your AV amp.

The roof is what it is, but you can still improve things. Doing what you said is fine, but the big flat surface will be reflective and have a low resonant frequency, possibly ruining the bass!
I would suggest you divide the ceiling joists into three different areas. Then add some basic extra structural pieces / braces in almost random places. Use different gauges of material to do this. Offcuts will do.

Now, use something heavy and ramp it into the ceiling joists, as you need to glue and screw anything that rattles!

After that, use insulation as you mention, but two densities. Some sound block and some normal fire retardant. No real extra cost

Then add the following........
One layer of moisture proof plaster board over the whole ceiling. Stop 10mm from the edges.
One layer of acoustic boards over the entire ceiling. Stop 5mm from the edges.
Now fill the edges / gaps all the way round with an expanding foam.
Now add another layer of board, but only around the edge. 600-800mm wide.

The above does add a little cost (plaster board isn't too expensive) but will achieve a lot! Your ceiling will be less conductive, and a little more sound proof. It will have greater mass and almost negligible resonant frequency to mess up your LFE :)

All for cheaps 8)

Every single element that makes the room, can have similar detailed amendments, if you like?

Sorry if these post get a little rambly, as there is a lot of detail. I'm not gonna start editing them afterwards, or I might as well write a book :wink:
Gone
Very fast 135i

Red5 & Semerka's Stable
Carmine Red Cayman GTS + LSD, Man Box, Sports Chassis + more
Volcano Grey Macan SD + 20" Sport Design, PASM & cosy Red Leather

(Team Rob)

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HaiderGill » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:31 am

So I couldn't make an artificial wall with boxes in to put the LCR speakers like in the photo above. I don't mind if they protrude a bit as the pj screen would have gone in front
120d RS Steptronic 5 door in Sparkling Graphite, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit, black leather, 17inch V spoke rims, Professional Sat-Nav, Ipod, Bluetooth, custom speaker install, performance pedals:)

Red5

Post by Red5 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:50 pm

HaiderGill wrote:So I couldn't make an artificial wall with boxes in to put the LCR speakers like in the photo above. I don't mind if they protrude a bit as the pj screen would have gone in front
You really want a solid heavy wall there. Any alcoves you place the speakers into will make them sound less good. There are a few rules for oprimising this too.

If you build a stud wall there, then still a bad thing to do for many reasons.

Why do you want to recess the speakers?
Gone
Very fast 135i

Red5 & Semerka's Stable

(Team Rob)

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HaiderGill » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:12 pm

I just it thought it would looked better with speakers hidden. Now qns I have here is 1 if you're doing something for the first time you're likely to balls it up. If you been doing it all your life your less likely to balls it up and likely to do it quicker so where/how do u find someone with previous experience of this kind of building?

Red5

Post by Red5 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:28 pm

HaiderGill wrote:I just it thought it would looked better with speakers hidden. Now qns I have here is 1 if you're doing something for the first time you're likely to balls it up. If you been doing it all your life your less likely to balls it up and likely to do it quicker so where/how do u find someone with previous experience of this kind of building?
I did suggest hiding the speakers, but not recessing them. Wall mount, soround with foam and hover screen in front.

As for finding someone to do this sort of thing.....
The best in this industry can do this, but I don't like to pull my own chain too much :oops:
You might fine such a person in one in 20 AV of the more posh AV outlets.
The thing is though, it will cost you a profesional rate.

If you were engaging me as an end user, I would ask for a fee of around £800-£1600 to manage and maximise all of the things I've mentioned. If there is a consultant near you, I guess it wouldnbe similar.

This is why most modest projects are a bit half baked. The users don't know that though, as they don't know how much better things can be!

You can keep on asking me questions though and I'll keep answering :)
Gone
Very fast 135i

Red5 & Semerka's Stable

(Team Rob)

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Converting Garage Into Home Cinema How?

Post by HaiderGill » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:44 pm

No worries what I meant to get at was that you do the design and validation, setup and testing. Who gets their hands dirty and does the building. Would I have to find a builder or do u know builder who does this kind of stuff?

oliver

Post by oliver » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:10 pm

helpful advice to everyone Rob, nice one. :)

Red5

Post by Red5 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:01 pm

HaiderGill wrote:No worries what I meant to get at was that you do the design and validation, setup and testing. Who gets their hands dirty and does the building. Would I have to find a builder or do u know builder who does this kind of stuff?
Ah I see :)

Any builder you're happy with can do the work. The basics are the same as any building work, but with important little adaptions here and there.

I think it's important to have sombody prepared to work with this level of detail / interference. The hard part is finding a builder that would take on such a small job. Most of the general builders want to build bigger easy things, not overly complicated little projects, where each trade is only needed for a couple of days!

I think for a job this size, you should manage it yourself and just find the apropriate trades by recomendation as you need them.

It might take a fair bit longer, but that can actually be helpful. You'll then arrange the stages and lots of the things can be done by a good handyman type person on a day rate.
It's a bit easier to fine one of those chaps is interested in AV too.

Having a building firm bosh the job out in anfew days will cause issues.
There'll be too many things missed and your head will be spinning.

Here's where I can think of something to spend on!
You should really fit AC to the room, as it will be sealed off for hours at a time. The air can get quite stale and damp, with two or more people watching even one film.
It need not cost a fortune though, as the room is smallish.

If you get one with a heat pump too, you don't need to add to the central heating.
I have Fujitsu in mine and it's perfect. Really quiet and cools / heats the room in 2 minutes.
I'd not be without it, as it makes the room usable all year.
As you have a flat roof, it will be too hot in the summer, even at night. As there are not doors/windows at each end, you can't ventilate the place either.
Last edited by Red5 on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone
Very fast 135i

Red5 & Semerka's Stable

(Team Rob)

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HaiderGill » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Sorry couldn't get anything up this weekend, hardly got any time...

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”