Tyres & pressures (again!)

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

ihadablackdog
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Tyres & pressures (again!)

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Deb keeps telling me she thinks her 1'er is handling dodgy, rear end twitchy on roundabouts, feels like its aquaplaning etc (all on dry roads). Not all the time, just occasionally. Always seems to be related to right-hand turns etc.

When I drive it, it never does it to me, despite going fast round roundabouts to try and make the back slide (probably crash if it did!). Could be my crap senses though...

Lots of problems need sorting:

Rear right wheel slowly looses pressure. I mean slow, but every 2 or 3 months the car will bong and the rear right is at something like 1.8 bar, when the other reads as 2.2 (and both were at 2.2 originally). This has happened a few times. (verified with a separate digital pressure gauge I have).

Keep telling her to take it in.....could be a tyre or valve issue.

Fronts - both are wearing on the outside edges to the extent that they are bald for the first 2 or 3 inches on the outside, left is a bit worse.

Another thing which may or may not help is both rears were replaced just over a year ago...then a week later she got a nail in the left rear. Apparently it was too close to the tyre wall for them to repair. 1 week apart, not a problem with differing wear rate. Then about a month ago...screw in the same left rear, when they took the tyre off, apparently they found two screws! I didn't see them take it off, so don't know if that was bull. Apparently, you can't do more than 1 repair on a runflat. Very suspicious over that, but the result is the left has more tread than the right. Is that likely to be contributing.

So, need two front tyres, rear right tyre/valve needs to be checked out. Alignment....is Hunter really worth it? Local Kwik Fit (who I go to and have always given me excellent service, even done work for free) have one, but I don't know if they actually do the full-job. Closest centre on Alignmycar is in Exeter, 50 miles away.

Part of me says do it all, and do it right to give the car the best chance of being "correct" hopefully solving the problems she experiences. But that is going to cost a lot, and the credit card will need to be raped.

Don't think I can do it in stages....no point replacing the fronts without sorting whats causing the uneven wear...and kinda no point sorting the alignment without changing the tyres, cos presumably the benefit wouldn't be felt?

Rock....Hard place?

So what am I (well, her card) looking at? Not sure of the tyre model, but was in the region of £180 I think for the rear one, so two fronts (2014 116d M-Sport with standard 18 inch wheels, rears are wider than fronts). £400 - £500?

marco_polo

Re: Tyres & pressures (again!)

Post by marco_polo » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Start by investigating that dodgy slow puncture.

If you know it's got a Slow, you should be checking the pressure every week really, not when the car starts handling dangerously every 3 months?! :shock:
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:30 pm

Forgot to say.....I'm lazy!

Will do the pressures tomorrow, definitely be interesting to see if that (temporarily) helps the handling issue.

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Did her pressures. As expected the rear right was low, so topped it up. The others hadn't moved.

Got it booked in this Saturday at a tyre place that does the Hunter alignment. Told them the two fronts need replacing, and the rear right has a sloooow puncture or dodgy valve, so will need looking at. He's ordered a tyre just in case.

The current tyres are all Bridgestone Potenza RE050a, fronts are 225/40/18 88y and rear 245/35/18 88y. He reckons Bridgestone have stopped doing Potenza RE050a for the fronts, but can get one for the rear. He tells me the front ones are now Driveguard?

The Potenza's are still advertised, so is he lying, or is it just old stock around?

They are Bridgestone, so will they be ok (i.e. drive guard on both front and potenza on both rear?). All are runflat.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:51 pm

there is still some dodgy old stock around the internet, I'd go with the newer generation on the front though, they should ride a little better.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:56 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:51 pm
there is still some dodgy old stock around the internet, I'd go with the newer generation on the front though, they should ride a little better.

"Newer generation" being the Driveguard tyres, or a different model of Potenza?

bertie_mollie

Post by bertie_mollie » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 pm

Sometimes the valves can leak a little. Had this on a car of mine previously. You can get metal valve caps with an o ring in that help if this happens.

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:14 pm

Had it all done last week. The tyre in question was on the limit so no point repairing it. He said there was a bit of corrosion on one of the “curb” marks so was gonna buff it and use sealer on the new tyre. The alignment was all out, more on the left. All green now, and I could feel a difference afterwards.

Will keep an eye on the valve. He had a diagnostic tool and could replace it for £90, but said it was a BMW job as its got extended warranty that might cover it, but that might not be the problem.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:18 pm

bertie_mollie wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 pm
Sometimes the valves can leak a little. Had this on a car of mine previously. You can get metal valve caps with an o ring in that help if this happens.
It's not recommended to fit metal valve caps to the new metal valves, they corrode on (near) permanently. This is why BMW stopped supplying metal caps in week 10 of 2014, and switched to the grey plastic versions.

bertie_mollie

Post by bertie_mollie » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:40 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:18 pm
bertie_mollie wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:54 pm
It's not recommended to fit metal valve caps to the new metal valves, they corrode on (near) permanently. This is why BMW stopped supplying metal caps in week 10 of 2014, and switched to the grey plastic versions.
I just googled this as I did't think it was serious, but your right.

Sorry, my bad.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”