Any photography enthusiasts?

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Thrash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Any photography enthusiasts?

Post by Thrash » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:09 pm

I used to be into photography but lack of time and such has meant I've fell out of touch a bit.

It's true that you buy into a system, the lenses don't age but the bodies do, although nowadays I think things have slowed down quite a lot. I think you should look at one of the beginner DSLRs from recent years, it doesn't have to be the newest one. If you buy secondhand then you won't lose much if/when you decide to sell it on if you want to upgrade or just find it's not for you.
I have owned Nikon and Canon DSLRs in the past when I was starting out and you can't go wrong with either, both make great lenses and bodies.

I use a Fuji X100S and before that had a Fuji X100 which was probably the best camera I've ever owned. It definitely had some unique characteristics but the images it produces are stunning, can't beat those Fuji colours.
M140i // Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats

R5_RXK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by R5_RXK » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:45 pm

ILikeJam wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:16 pm
R5_RXK wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:05 pm
Paul W wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:55 am
If you are going DX I highly recommend the Tokina range for wide - 12-24 or the newer 12-28

The tokina are ex Nikon engineers who started themselves so have very good optics and are built like a tank - almost as good as the Nikon Pro - full metal housing etc

The only slight downside is that they are heavy and also do not have VR so shooting low light can be tricky without a tripod

You can get Nikon or cannon fit for around 300 - 400 - I never had it off my D7000

When comparing bodies should i be looking out for other areas apart from just Pixel count?

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d3400/spec.htm

Given you're just starting out I wouldn't get too hung up on the pixel count. For example the £400 D3400 has a 24mp sensor while my (now) £1500 5dMkIII has 22mp - but the 5dIII's photos will look much better (from a technical perspective) for various reasons, most ostensibly the fact it has a full frame sensor. (I won't bore you to tears with theory, but basically: larger sensor = better images)

If you're never going to make large prints of images then pixel count really doesn't matter at all. Think of a 1920x1080 20" screen - a 2mp picture would completely fill that screen. Whereas if you wanted to print an image of the same physical size you'd need 6mp to 'fill' the sheet of paper.

I'd also be looking at processors and focus mechanisms, but again there's maybe no need for you to worry about that yet.

topman this has made a big difference and thank you for putting it in simple terms :lol: . I think what I'm going to do is get a basic older model second hand for say £100 or so to have a play around on first so it doesnt cost me the earth. Hopefully then this way I will pick up the basics quite quickly and then from there I may know what lenses / body to go for!
Owner of BMW E81 Sparkling Graphite M Sport 3 Door Hatchback

ILikeJam
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ILikeJam » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:06 am

R5_RXK wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:45 pm
ILikeJam wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:16 pm
R5_RXK wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:05 pm

When comparing bodies should i be looking out for other areas apart from just Pixel count?

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7000/

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d3400/spec.htm

Given you're just starting out I wouldn't get too hung up on the pixel count. For example the £400 D3400 has a 24mp sensor while my (now) £1500 5dMkIII has 22mp - but the 5dIII's photos will look much better (from a technical perspective) for various reasons, most ostensibly the fact it has a full frame sensor. (I won't bore you to tears with theory, but basically: larger sensor = better images)

If you're never going to make large prints of images then pixel count really doesn't matter at all. Think of a 1920x1080 20" screen - a 2mp picture would completely fill that screen. Whereas if you wanted to print an image of the same physical size you'd need 6mp to 'fill' the sheet of paper.

I'd also be looking at processors and focus mechanisms, but again there's maybe no need for you to worry about that yet.

topman this has made a big difference and thank you for putting it in simple terms :lol: . I think what I'm going to do is get a basic older model second hand for say £100 or so to have a play around on first so it doesnt cost me the earth. Hopefully then this way I will pick up the basics quite quickly and then from there I may know what lenses / body to go for!

That's exactly what I would recommend in a nutshell. Spend your money on great lenses that will outlast the camera body as the lenses are what really make the difference.

I recommended a 24-70 as if you're only going to have one lens then that range is pretty much the sweet spot for everything from landscapes to portraits. Get one with a fixed aperture through the range (f2.8 or wider ideally). Having used the Sigma* professionally I defy anyone to find a better lens at the price they're going for on eBay. The Canon L version is better, but it's £1800 new vs £600 new for the Sigma.

If you're going more for 'portrait' style shots of cars rather than action shots I'd recommend you also get a wider lens as well - that'll give you the option of more 'funky' stylised shots and will help when shooting car interiors.

* Specifically, the lens is the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 IF EX DG HSM (assuming it works as well on Nikon/others as well as it worked on my Canon)
Gone - F20 116i M Sport Pre-LCI
Now - An official Audi driving c0ckwomble

ihadablackdog
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:24 pm

Just an observation, not a criticism....

It would be good to explain aperture to the OP and what "wide" means with regards to lenses, because if he doesn't understand what this is, then "2.8 or wider" could lead him thinking a higher number is better, i.e. 4 etc...

Obviously, if the OP understands this, then ignore me.

....I won't try to explain it. Although I "think" I know, I'm sure some of you can explain it much better.

Itsteagle

Post by Itsteagle » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:22 pm

Once you start to get your head around lightroom switch to the RAW format, it stores far more detail than jpeg and allows you to tweak your exposure and get extra and detail in the shadows and highlights.
2005 130i

ILikeJam
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ILikeJam » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:12 pm

ihadablackdog wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:24 pm
Just an observation, not a criticism....

It would be good to explain aperture to the OP and what "wide" means with regards to lenses, because if he doesn't understand what this is, then "2.8 or wider" could lead him thinking a higher number is better, i.e. 4 etc...

Obviously, if the OP understands this, then ignore me.

....I won't try to explain it. Although I "think" I know, I'm sure some of you can explain it much better.

Fair point - especially considering I used "wider" twice in my post to mean two different things! :lol: I was assuming a basic appreciation of aperture and focal length.

There's loads of tutorials on Youtube. If you're not up to speed the starting point is understanding aperture, shutter speed and ISO - what each of them are, how they affect the image and how manipulating one affects the others.

as Itsteagle says - shoot RAW if possible to record and preserve as much data in the image as possible. The downside being storage space (at circa 25mb per image) and processing the file (buying and learning to use Lightroom and potentially Photoshop depending how serious you want to take it)
Gone - F20 116i M Sport Pre-LCI
Now - An official Audi driving c0ckwomble

sootyvrs

Post by sootyvrs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:38 pm

I enjoy my landscape photography and do the odd pics of my cars too..

I have moved away from D-SLR some years back to mirrorless (Sony but used to be Panasonic M43) but that is more to do with size than anything else..

All the brands that have been mentioned all make good cameras but if I was starting out I personally would choose a brand (as they are all good enough) based on what lenses you think you will need for the photography you're into...

Landscape photography traditionally ultra wide angle lenses are used and the ultra wide Canon EF-S 10-18mm is much cheaper than it's rivals and it's a pretty good lens to boot.. This reason alone is why I would choose the Canon brand if I was starting out... They also have the largest lenses (and many budget ones) from all the manufacturers and also an easy upgrade path if you decide to advance..

Car photography I traditionally use an 85mm (around 50mm on a APS-C sensored camera) lens as I like to crop in to focus mainly on the car rather than the background plus wider lenses tend to distort the shape of the car hence why I see a lot of babybmw pics looking very poor as the 1 series is not a particularly good looking car and any distortion only exagerates it's cosmetic flaws (flame suit on ;))

I would also like to add that although fast lenses (f/2.8 or lower) are usually better in low light... Landscape and static car photography, most tend to use a smaller aperture (f/8 or above) to get more in focus and also a sweet spot for max. sharpness.. As long as there is enough light there not usually a problem and high ISO noise performance seems pretty good on most consumer digital cameras these days... Tripod is another great photographers friend when taking static shots..

Fast lenses (f/2.8 or lower) tend to be more expensive and also heavier than the f/4 or above lenses.. Most of my lenses are slowish (sold all my fast lenses e.g. 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4 etc.. due to not using them in landscapes or car shots) 12mm f/5.6, 16-21mm f/4, 35mm f/2.8 & 85mm f/2.8 used on full frame
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”