Dash cam information

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

ricky3
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Dash cam information

Post by ricky3 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:53 am

I know there are many threads about this out there, but wanted some feedback on what dash cam i should get for my e92.

Here are the main features that i want it to have. If you think there are other important features that i'm missing please tell me, never had a dashcam before but i am in need of one after many unfortunate accidents and reckless behaviour that i'm seeing around me.

1080P or more
Parking mode
Captures sound
Show speed
Video quality day and night very good
No need of GPS
Small camera, not visible for driver preferably
Easily un mounted

Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Dash cam information

Post by Stegosaurus » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:00 pm

Best bet would likely be a Nextbase camera, but which model is really up to you.
Current: 2017 M140i F20 in Estoril Blue 'Lydia'
Many options

Gone: F20 118d M Sport in Estoril Blue 'Bex'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 136mph achieved (autobahn), 48k miles covered

ricky3
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ricky3 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:31 pm

Going on their website, there isn't much information about their dashcams. https://www.nextbase.co.uk/dash-cams/

ihadablackdog
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:17 pm

I'm pretty sure you need GPS in order to get speed, some have it built in and some have it external.

I've got a Streetguardian SG9665GC (mines v2, they now have v3). It looks like the A119 type camera's cos it uses the same housing, but the internals are far superior.

It has a thin mount that sticks to the glass, and then the camera can slide on/off etc. With some creative thinking it can be installed to be very stealthy from the outside. Can't see mine from the drivers seat as the rear view mirror blocks it.

It doesn't have parking mode, but you can get power banks that power it when the engine is off, although not as good as one that senses the movement of a collision when parked etc.

ricky3
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ricky3 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 am

I can't get the idea of having a dashcam without being on 24/7. If i park my car outside and someone scratch it (it happened before) i will never now who the asshole was. The dashcam looks really nice and stealthy (exactly how i want it). Will ask about this power bank and see if it's good for me.

Lambster
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lambster » Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:05 pm

I was using a Nextbase 312GW which ticked most of the boxes you're after. However, it's recently been returned to Amazon as the unit just died. Nextbase were terrible dealing with the issue and in fact flat out refused to fix it under warranty (details here). They're not terrible for the price, but they're very average. There are better cams out there but not many that tick all the boxes around the same kind of price.
M140i: Man., 3 door, EB, HK, Adaptive Suspension, Adaptive LED w/ HB assist, Privacy Glass, Heated Seats, Driver Comfort pack, Media Pro, Folding mirrors

Please help the Mods by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 pm

It's true that having the camera on 24/7 would be nice, but I don't think that's practical, although there might be solutions that allow it.

I know there are camera's that have g-force sensors in them, so will detect if someone nudges you etc, and will start recording....but then you've missed the actual moment that they hit you. There are some that will do the same, but are also recording all the time, and will add to the file of being nudged a bit of time before, thereby capturing the moment.

But to be fully covered you'd need front, back and side cameras. In the case of some scrote scratching the car, again, you wouldn't be guaranteed to be able to identify them.

I see what you're saying, but in my case I want it to record an "incident" whilst driving. I only have a front one, so aren't covered from behind. Some systems have 2 camera's that record to 1 device, so easier to manage than 2 separate camera;s.

Have you looked at techmoan.com? He has reviewed lots of camera's (don't know if he's done any recently) but it will give you an idea of whats available, as will dashcamtalk.com

ricky3
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ricky3 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:27 pm

Lambster wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:05 pm
I was using a Nextbase 312GW which ticked most of the boxes you're after. However, it's recently been returned to Amazon as the unit just died. Nextbase were terrible dealing with the issue and in fact flat out refused to fix it under warranty (details here). They're not terrible for the price, but they're very average. There are better cams out there but not many that tick all the boxes around the same kind of price.
Will check it out thanks
ihadablackdog wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:33 pm
It's true that having the camera on 24/7 would be nice, but I don't think that's practical, although there might be solutions that allow it.

I know there are camera's that have g-force sensors in them, so will detect if someone nudges you etc, and will start recording....but then you've missed the actual moment that they hit you. There are some that will do the same, but are also recording all the time, and will add to the file of being nudged a bit of time before, thereby capturing the moment.

But to be fully covered you'd need front, back and side cameras. In the case of some scrote scratching the car, again, you wouldn't be guaranteed to be able to identify them.

I see what you're saying, but in my case I want it to record an "incident" whilst driving. I only have a front one, so aren't covered from behind. Some systems have 2 camera's that record to 1 device, so easier to manage than 2 separate camera;s.

Have you looked at techmoan.com? He has reviewed lots of camera's (don't know if he's done any recently) but it will give you an idea of whats available, as will dashcamtalk.com
I will just go with 1 camera, in the future will get one for rear. Will look for those websites so that i finally decide, thanks. My only dog was black too, i miss him :cry:

ihadablackdog

Dash cam information

Post by ihadablackdog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:03 pm

Haha, my username has a different meaning, and I hope my black dog has well and truly f@cked off! (but I know what you mean, pets are like family members).

If you get a dashcam, make me a promise: you wont be one of those twats that mounts it in the middle of the windscreen (fighting for position with the satnav) that has the screen on constantly! Fecking eeeeejits windscreens are lit up so much its a wonder they can see out at nighttime.

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:03 am

F22 M240i 8AT

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”