UK Car Sales

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

UK Car Sales

Post by moulin12 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:32 am

UK car sales down by 9.3% on a yearly basis. Good news for residuals?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/li ... iness-live
F22 M240i 8AT

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: UK Car Sales

Post by Kerr » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:44 am

Petrol sales down by 1.2%, electric/hybrid sales up 40% and diesel sales down by 21.7% compared to last September.

It's just another sign of the diesel market drying up in my opinion.
Last edited by Kerr on Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meerkat
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Meerkat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:50 pm

VED changes probably haven't helped matters either. Diesel has had a poor show in the media recently. I would also think a lot of business/fleet cars are changing over to hybrid/full eleccy as you can get more generous tax reliefs compared to "normal" fueled cars now!

Paul W
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Paul W » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:02 pm

we have gone the oppostie on hybrids and full eleccy

they have removed almost of them as people were to getting the claimed MPG so calculating pence per mile for business mileage has become a huge ball ache for the compnay who do our fuel cards etc as its costing employees money to travel on business

the VED bands have really pushed up BIK payments I believe - I am due to change my car next year so just waiting for my list to appear and see what the increase is
Follow me on twitter @pwhittingham22 and flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/93528820@N05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2016 M135i,White, red leather,Comfort pack,sun protection,heated seats
2014 A6 BE,White,lots of extras

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:05 pm

The collapse of diesel sales appears to be a significant factor.

The corollary of which is that there are some stunning deals on new diesel vehicles out there :)
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Thrash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Thrash » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm

This is down to the uncertainty that's being created by the government, a lot of people who would've changed cars are now probably holding on to see what happens. A 40% increase on hybrid/EVs is probably made up of a lot of company car buyers who otherwise would've gone for diesel.
I don't see any issues with going for a diesel at the minute, GFVs are still holding strong on PCP offerings. If anything major was going to be levied on new diesels then the finance companies could potentially lose millions.
M140i // Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:30 pm

Diesel powered vehicles are never going to be outlawed.
The engine technology will be improved to lower emissions.

Cows produce massive amounts of methane gas but they haven’t been slautered.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:36 am

Octavius wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:30 pm
Diesel powered vehicles are never going to be outlawed.
The engine technology will be improved to lower emissions.

Cows produce massive amounts of methane gas but they haven’t been slautered.
So no cow has ever been slaughtered? :roll:.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Sam_M
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam_M » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:43 am

Regardless of slaughter, raising cattle(the cattle themselves, feed, transport etc) accounts for a huge proportion of all CO2 output, not to mention the deforestation that goes on to give them grazing space.

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:16 am

I'd rather have a burger than a diesel car. :lol:

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 am

Thrash wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:34 pm
This is down to the uncertainty that's being created by the government, a lot of people who would've changed cars are now probably holding on to see what happens. A 40% increase on hybrid/EVs is probably made up of a lot of company car buyers who otherwise would've gone for diesel.
I don't see any issues with going for a diesel at the minute, GFVs are still holding strong on PCP offerings. If anything major was going to be levied on new diesels then the finance companies could potentially lose millions.
I think this will be a big factor, we are due to change the E91 but with so much uncertainty I am holding off for a few years to see what happens as I don't know what fuel to go for as a replacement.

Whilst I don't think they will ban diesel vehicles as such, they will make it more expensive to run them which will negate the slight running cost benefit they now have over efficient petrol cars.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Thrash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Thrash » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:50 am

OneTwenty wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32 am
I think this will be a big factor, we are due to change the E91 but with so much uncertainty I am holding off for a few years to see what happens as I don't know what fuel to go for as a replacement.

Whilst I don't think they will ban diesel vehicles as such, they will make it more expensive to run them which will negate the slight running cost benefit they now have over efficient petrol cars.
I guess it depends how you plan to buy it and how long you intend to keep it. If I remember rightly, when looking at PCP examples for a VW Golf GTI and a GTD, the GFV on the GTD was higher, so the industry is still confident.

This was a very interesting test between a 8 year old diesel and a 20 something year old petrol: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt ... ar_exhaust
It would've been better if they compared a more modern petrol engine too but I think the most surprising bit of info was this around real world driving:
Renault Megane Experience (1461cc) produces 0.991g/km of NOx - 12 times the limit (made in 2016, tested in January 2017)
Fiat 500X CityLook Popstar (1598cc) produces 1.153g/km of NOx - 14 times the limit (made in 2015, tested in December 2015)
Qashqai N-Connecta DCI CVT (1598cc) produces 1.46g/km of NOx. 18 times Europe's 0.08g/km limit.
Mercedes C250 AMG Line Premium DA produces 0.080g/km of NOx in real-world driving, so it complies with the regulations outside the lab as well as inside.
These lab tests they use to determine these Euro ratings is clearly massively flawed and this is what the focus needs to be on, comparing the Qashqai to the Merc, which both have the same Euro classification but clearly one is hugely worse than the other.

I also forgot to mention the diesel scrappage scheme, obviously devised to get everyone out there buying new cars and boosting the economy but with all this uncertainty, its backfired massively and people are obviously holding onto their cars longer.
My dads C220d agreement ends in the coming months and I asked him what he was planning on going for and he confidently said another diesel. He does up to 20,000 miles per year and in the C220d he can get up to 70mpg on a trip. If he made the switch to petrol, for similar performance he'd be lucky to get half that.
I guess he'd end up paying a hell of a lot more tax on petrol though, maybe that's what its all about :wink:
Last edited by Thrash on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
M140i // Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:52 am

I think diesel vehicles will stop being produced by manufacturers due to the costs involved to reduce emissions even further

Small petrol turbo vehicles and electric /hybrids will be the norm and it will happen very quickly

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:45 pm

rob180bhp wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:52 am
I think diesel vehicles will stop being produced by manufacturers due to the costs involved to reduce emissions even further

Small petrol turbo vehicles and electric /hybrids will be the norm and it will happen very quickly

Volvo have already said they will stop making diesels in a couple of years.

rob180bhp

Post by rob180bhp » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Kerr wrote:
rob180bhp wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:52 am

Volvo have already said they will stop making diesels in a couple of years.
I know the rest will follow

E82 wide135i MHD stage 2/f30 brakes/meisterR/m3 everything / Vrsf
Instagram "rob180bhp"

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”