Anyone in IT contracting game here

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

mikeyscott
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Anyone in IT contracting game here

Post by mikeyscott » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:05 am

Mulling contracting in the infrastructure space after a bad move to a new company.

Options at mo
Return to previous company
Dip toe into contract market, but how boyant is it..

Just a typical infra guy, Wintel, vmware, Netapp, networking - Jack of all, master of none etc

I’d prob start umbrella if I did it
135i E82 2011 AW, Birds B1 Dynamics Package, MPSS
Volvo C30 D4 R - Daily
VW Golf MK5 R32 09 - Gone and miss the traction.
123d E87 59 - Gone
Volvo S40 T5 Polestar 08 - Gone - Missed as mega comfortable
Seat Leon Cupra 03 - Gone

Nottsknots
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Anyone in IT contracting game here

Post by Nottsknots » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:42 pm

Theres definately a few of us on here.

Whether you give it a go is down to personal circumstances; there's always a market, just rates can go down as well as up.

If you have a short notice period, then why not; you dont have much to loose, and if it turns out not to be for you, just get a permy role again. Hirers tend to want someone "now" (thats part of the point of contracting - they get the right skills when they need em, and you move on when they're done).

It is important to try to have some skill thats in demand, even if you pay for training.

My personal advice, try to build up a 6 month financial buffer - you shouldnt have to go that long without income, but it can take several months, and it doesnt take much to have a delay, followed by a bad client, followed by a broken ankle.

Are you willing to travel? That increases the options many-fold, but can also increase costs for accommodation or commuting so watch out. Living away is not for everyone.

For infra, consider how long you need a career; there are a LOT of folks moving to hosted infra these days, and its set to carry on. Get skilled in AWS or similar, and there will be demand beyond the core tin. Once folks move to hosted infra, then networks (big, beefy and secure ones) become more important. Even if you dont have those types of skills now, you can invest in yourself.

I would highly recommend browsing the IPSE site (used to be called the Professional Contractors Group, botn out of Shout 99, when HMRC got their mits on IR35). Lots of useful info and resources for contractors, and there may be some local groups you can begin networking with - just knowing local folks in the same game give you someone to relate to. Self-employment is nothing like employment; no HR department, buy your own IT, do your own sales (many IT folks 'aint natural salesmen, but comtractors have to be, at least in the beginning) etc.

I could go on for hours. I wont. Good luck whichever way you decide :)
E87 118d, stock, plus PDC control unit drain, Parrot, debadged, Mothercare baby shades (but no babies), and occassionally a good layer of wax. Instantly forgettable, and thats the way I like it.

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Depending on your location and skill set, it could be beneficial. I worked for a large international law firm, hated it and the management in my eyes where clueless.

I lasted about 4 years in the place before I could take no more, I moved from a investment bank and I'd rather deal with a trader any day of the week over a lawyer.

I managed to get a job with a I.T Service Management firm, I love it. It's not contract work but we look after about seven different sites all remotely. I deal with SCCM on a regular basis, wsus, hyper v to name a few.

I'd say if you can learn SCCM if you don't already know it, you'd be able to walk into any contracting job and be on good money. I'm a certified MCSE and my new employer put me on the ITIL course. That's another qualification you should consider. I hope to take the SCCM crourse soon also just to have the qualification along with the experience.

Good luck.
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

mikeyscott
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by mikeyscott » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:19 pm

Very nice. My previous employer had a zero training policy. FTSE250 firm.

I deployed SCCM 2007 a numbers of years ago, but not touched it for years. Was supposed to do 2012 at my last place, but they gave it all to a 3rd party :( like most things. Even when they configure core switch wrong at a site I got moaned out for making them look stupid.

I see lots of people making a very good living from contracting, but then think perm mmm.

Got some feelers out re MOD contracts, but MOD’s IT is just old and shambolic.
135i E82 2011 AW, Birds B1 Dynamics Package, MPSS
Volvo C30 D4 R - Daily
VW Golf MK5 R32 09 - Gone and miss the traction.
123d E87 59 - Gone
Volvo S40 T5 Polestar 08 - Gone - Missed as mega comfortable
Seat Leon Cupra 03 - Gone

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”