Switching to Virgin

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Thrash
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Switching to Virgin

Post by Thrash » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:43 pm

Hi guys

So some of you might remember the issues I had with BT when I joined them 6 months ago. Well, they're now increasing their prices which means I can exit the contract without penalty :fest:
So straight to Virgin I go - I rang them up the other day and they said I couldn't be connected and they'd need to speak to the new build team. Well today I got a call saying it can go ahead and to speak to the sales team.

So I rang them up and there was no hard sell or any pressure at all, I told them my current deal with BT (which is actually fairly good) but they said their price cannot move at all. They offered to throw in 3 months of extra bits (movies and phone calls) but I still don't feel like I'm getting the best deal.

As it's so new, I cannot buy online which also means I miss out on Quidco of like £70 (£5.83 per month) which is a bit annoying.

Anyone got any ideas or tactics? Most of the haggling seems to be for existing customers, how much negotiation is possible for new customers?

Thanks in advance!
2018 Mercedes-Benz C200 AMG Line Coupe Polar White
2017 BMW M140i Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats - gone!

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Switching to Virgin

Post by Octavius » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:10 pm

BT price increase ? When and how much ?
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

M140estoril
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by M140estoril » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 pm

I am with virgin only because they are the only company that can supply sky sports and BT sport. The online deals are rarely beaten by those occasionally seen in shopping centres etc. Sometimes they offer freebies, ( I got a 32” Samsung tv which I flogged on e bay).currently they are offering 6 moths free on Netflicks).Virgin had a price hike 2 months ago (they all seem to do it just after you join).I was exempt from the increase but if I stay with them I will pay from July 18.Overall all things considered VM are better than most given the broadband speed up to 200mBs. There are others out there Plus Net for example who may not be national. Have you looked into Now Tv to see what they provide? I think you have to buy a box but I think it’s No Contract so you can move on without cancellation charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thrash
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Thrash » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Octavius wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:10 pm
BT price increase ? When and how much ?
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/news/ ... ed_to_know

Not a huge amount but I just want to get out of the contract.
M140estoril wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:28 pm
I am with virgin only because they are the only company that can supply sky sports and BT sport. The online deals are rarely beaten by those occasionally seen in shopping centres etc. Sometimes they offer freebies, ( I got a 32” Samsung tv which I flogged on e bay).currently they are offering 6 moths free on Netflicks).Virgin had a price hike 2 months ago (they all seem to do it just after you join).I was exempt from the increase but if I stay with them I will pay from July 18.Overall all things considered VM are better than most given the broadband speed up to 200mBs. There are others out there Plus Net for example who may not be national. Have you looked into Now Tv to see what they provide? I think you have to buy a box but I think it’s No Contract so you can move on without cancellation charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did have a look at Now TV but the missus insists we must be able to record and I don't think you can with those boxes. The only other thing I would consider is getting the cheap Virgin package for £30 a month and then a Now TV box with the entertainment package but seems a lot of hassle to save a few quid.
2018 Mercedes-Benz C200 AMG Line Coupe Polar White
2017 BMW M140i Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats - gone!

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:56 pm

When I was looking to renew earlier in the year I was considering Plusnet and TalkTalk etc. The TalkTalk package price was very good.

Managed to haggle my existing BT price down so stayed with them. Glad I did, and won't look elsewhere again.

Can't get Virgin down here.

Mother in law with TalkTalk and service has been sh1t and customer service even sh1tter!

Then last week (or the week before) they had an outage (affected large parts of the country) whereby anyone phoning a talk talk number got some American saying the number was not available, and they couldn't dial out! Ridiculous for such a large company.

TalkTalk will go bust in 2019 when they have to give auto-refunds for service outages etc!

Cupster
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Cupster » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 am

I had a few probs with the initial hardwiring/preinstall stage as the guys were a joke but been faultless since then to be fair.

I must be on some kind of test connection as i see 360 to 380mbps download and 20ish upload with a 11ms ping.
On order: Devils Juice 2018 VW Tiguan R Line. :(

SOLD: 130i MSport, Xenons, BMWP Exhaust, Darklines, BMWP Hybrid Grills, Smoked Repeaters, Aero spoiler, Burger 12&15mm spacers, LED Halos.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”