Coffee Machines

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

BMWBrad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Coffee Machines

Post by BMWBrad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:03 pm

So I’m thinking of buying a Coffee Machine.
Trouble is there’s so many options. The obvious one is a Nespresso, and the essenza seems to tick the boxes for me.
Are there any fellow coffee lovers that can recommend which one to go for for circa £100
Pampered E81 130i
(Alpinweiss, Black Boston, CC, Adaptive Xenons, Pro HU w/BT & USB, F&R PDC)
BMWPE- BMWP SSK- BMWP Handbrake- BMWPV1 Steering Wheel- Alcantara Binnacle- Darklines- L7 Mids & Tweeters

Kerr
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Coffee Machines

Post by Kerr » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:08 pm

Wait a few weeks and most of them end up half price for Christmas.

BMWBrad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BMWBrad » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Good shout Kerr, I keep forgetting Christmas’s is creeping up
Pampered E81 130i
BMWPE- BMWP SSK- BMWP Handbrake- BMWPV1 Steering Wheel- Alcantara Binnacle- Darklines- L7 Mids & Tweeters

HEAVYD
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by HEAVYD » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:21 pm

I prefer my lavazza a modo mio machine over the tassimo machine, haven’t tried the nespresso coffee

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Whatever you get. Get bean to cup. There is no substitute :)

I have Krupp's.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

HammyUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HammyUK » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:45 pm

Don't touch bloody Nespresso/whatevertheychoosetocalltheshoitenext rubbish.

Get a proper Gaggia Classic - make sure its the older pre-Philips - in fact Mrbean2cup will make you a new from from the older spec parts so it doesn't suffer the problems the Philips one do.
MDF grinder or the Sage Pro and there's nothing better.
Laziness will mean a bean 2 cup might suit you better but it will not taste as good. Fact.
An older Baby (original not 2 or 3rd gen) will be almost as good as a Classic but there is no way to adjust the pressure down to 9bar without opening them up and adding the later valve (worth doing though).
Later portafilter 3 cup or open and you'll get shots as good if not better than any shop bought.

Have a 1977 Baby and matching MDF at the house in wales and the pre-philips Classic and MDF here.
First time in months I've had a coffee out was today as a client wanted a meeting out of the office.
F21 135i pre-lci, AW, 3dr, CR, HK and an ever increasing toy list :D

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:50 pm

Make sure the one you buy makes a hot drink not just warm.
Pre heating the machine okay but warming the cups and still only warm is not good.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

BMWBrad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BMWBrad » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 am

Thanks for the advice guys, food for thought (excuse the pun).
Pampered E81 130i

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 am

Decide if you need convenience or quality, and appreciate there is a compromise.

I've got a Krups bean to cup...its a monster, fully automatic, also froths milk if you want and makes latte's etc. I got it for convenience, it self cleans and means a cup before work is as easy as a cup of instant.

Also got a Nespresso for work, where, again, convenience is key.

Others will go for he whole manual setup, fresh beans, ground manually, pull the shot manually etc etc.

Depends if you want a cup often, or want to "craft" a cup...think of it like this...do you want to wash your car...or detail it!

This may taste better, but my bean to cup and even the nespresso taste much much better than instant, so I'm happy.

So, you have....instant, pod, automatic grind and brew or fully manual etc. Also there is good old filter coffee, but thats just messy (or at least, is for me).

HammyUK
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HammyUK » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:38 pm

I don't make latte's or any other type of poncey crap with mine.
Its espresso, espresso or espresso.
Well you can have a cortado too if I really like you....
F21 135i pre-lci, AW, 3dr, CR, HK and an ever increasing toy list :D

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:08 pm

HammyUK wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:38 pm
I don't make latte's or any other type of poncey crap with mine.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BMWBrad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BMWBrad » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:47 pm

I suppose I want convenience, but more sophisticated than a normal instant coffee.
That’s why I thought a Nespresso fitted the bill, having tasted one of their coffees before.
I’m a coffee “amateur” so to speak :lol:
Pampered E81 130i

Barney McGrew
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:55 pm

I have a Nespresso and they're fine. If you're a proper coffee snob then they don't hit the spot, but i'm the same, just want something more like a 'real' coffee compared to instant but with total convenience and the Nespresso fits the bill.

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:59 am

HammyUK wrote:Don't touch bloody Nespresso/whatevertheychoosetocalltheshoitenext rubbish.

Get a proper Gaggia Classic - make sure its the older pre-Philips - in fact Mrbean2cup will make you a new from from the older spec parts so it doesn't suffer the problems the Philips one do.
MDF grinder or the Sage Pro and there's nothing better.
Laziness will mean a bean 2 cup might suit you better but it will not taste as good. Fact.
An older Baby (original not 2 or 3rd gen) will be almost as good as a Classic but there is no way to adjust the pressure down to 9bar without opening them up and adding the later valve (worth doing though).
Later portafilter 3 cup or open and you'll get shots as good if not better than any shop bought.

Have a 1977 Baby and matching MDF at the house in wales and the pre-philips Classic and MDF here.
First time in months I've had a coffee out was today as a client wanted a meeting out of the office.

OMG! I did exactly the above 2 weeks ago and got a mint 2003 Gaggia Classic and I hand grind fresh beans with a Hario burr grinder.

HammyUK is spot on. It’s a different world but only if you put the effort in to learn the right technique (not hard but very satisfying).

I was looking at a bean to cup machine but after consulting lots of coffee experts, it became clear a bean to cup machine, regardless of cost, would be a waste of money because they would not get close to the Gaggia Classic with the right technique. It a bit like comparing an all in one HiFi compared to carefully matched separates, i.e, a real HiFi not a pretend one.

Honestly, one the the best things I have bought. I really look forward to my perfect double espresso every morning!

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

ChrisOllie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChrisOllie » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:14 pm

We had a Tassimo machine for a few years, but the cost of the pods and the general slightly metallic taste made us fed up after a while. We started looking out for proper bean to cup machines going on offer. Amazon tend to have the Delonghi Magnifica on offer for around £200 which gets great write ups. We lucked out when Debenhams / John lewis did the next one up - The Autentica - on offer for £250 so got that and haven't looked back. Still havent tweaked it perfectly but the coffee is miles better and beans are much cheaper etc, so win win all round. I'd recommend looking into these.
Mercedes E Class / Previously - M135 Manual / Alfa 159 Ti

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”