Coffee Machines

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

Thrash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Coffee Machines

Post by Thrash » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:19 am

I have a Nespresso machine (I'm on my 2nd one) and I like it. I tend to only really use it on the weekend though.
I find the most annoying thing with Nespresso is actually buying the capsules; luckily I live fairly close to a number of boutiques so I can pop in and just buy a sleeve of 10 capsules otherwise if you order online you've got to buy in multiples of 100 and pay £5 for postage or something stupid. But with the amount of compatible pods available in supermarkets you don't even need to buy them from Nespresso these days.

A few weeks ago I tried one of the new machines which produces a big cup but I didn't really understand the point. The machines are huge, the pods are twice the size and twice the price. You'd be better off just using 2 normal capsules.

I'm sure there will be plenty of offers on coming up to black friday and until the end of January you can get the 'club reward' which is £45 on a regular machine or £75 on a machine with milk frother. The first machine I bought was on a lightning deal from Amazon and cost £49 but I got a club reward voucher for £75 worth of capsules or accessories.
2018 Mercedes-Benz C200 AMG Line Coupe Polar White
2017 BMW M140i Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats - gone!

talal
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by talal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:07 pm

i went from a nespresso machine about 3 years ago to moving onto something abit more sofisticated

started looking at bean to cup machines and they seem to be pretty good on the whole but i ended up for opting for the next step and bought a sage barista express.

it got excellent reviews so i got that and since then its been pretty incredible how good the cofee tastes compared almost all coffee shops with the exception of Monmouth which to my palate is the best coffee iv ever tasted.

the machine is excellent, it grinds the beans (based on your grind preference) into a portafilter and then its down to you to tamp the coffee and then pull the shot...

so its a good step up from bean to cup but stops you needing to buy your own grinder (the built in one is an analogue version of the sage grinder mentioned earlier) the machine is expensive but depending on what you want its worth it as the options for coffee are endless. I buy beans from hasbean and they roast them the day before they get posted to me, and so far they have been great

iv enjoyed learning so much and appreciate the good quality coffee it produces that when it eventually packs up (hopefully not for ages yet) i may go the whole hog and buy a Rancilio Silvia machine, and a high quality grinder...
BMW 440i - carbon black - great machine!
Audi S5 Sportback - Chav white - All the toys and massive red bucket seats - gone
Audi S4 Avant - Midnight blue - Lots of Toys (died)
BMW 130i LE No Mods Great as standard! - Now sadly gone...

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Peter9588 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:37 pm

HEAVYD wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:21 pm
I prefer my lavazza a modo mio machine over the tassimo machine, haven’t tried the nespresso coffee
I picked up on of these for £20 a couple of years ago. Love it.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Peter9588 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:39 pm

HEAVYD wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:21 pm
I prefer my lavazza a modo mio machine over the tassimo machine, haven’t tried the nespresso coffee
I picked up on of these for £20 a couple of years ago. Love it.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon

ihadablackdog
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:40 pm

Thrash wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:19 am
I have a Nespresso machine (I'm on my 2nd one) and I like it. I tend to only really use it on the weekend though.
I find the most annoying thing with Nespresso is actually buying the capsules; luckily I live fairly close to a number of boutiques so I can pop in and just buy a sleeve of 10 capsules otherwise if you order online you've got to buy in multiples of 100 and pay £5 for postage or something stupid. But with the amount of compatible pods available in supermarkets you don't even need to buy them from Nespresso these days.

A few weeks ago I tried one of the new machines which produces a big cup but I didn't really understand the point. The machines are huge, the pods are twice the size and twice the price. You'd be better off just using 2 normal capsules.

I'm sure there will be plenty of offers on coming up to black friday and until the end of January you can get the 'club reward' which is £45 on a regular machine or £75 on a machine with milk frother. The first machine I bought was on a lightning deal from Amazon and cost £49 but I got a club reward voucher for £75 worth of capsules or accessories.
Its multiples of 50 capsules (10 per sleave) and if you buy 200 at a time, it's free delivery (wow). I'm part of the Nespresso club and get free delivery on any order.

The compatible capsules don't work too well on the new Nespresso machines (my oldest is probably 2 years old now, and its not good with compatibles) because Nespresso changed the design of the "spikes" that puncture the capsule....they aren't as "beefy" as older machines, so don't always work well. I used to buy the Starbucks ones, £3 for 10, so 30p each. Originals are around that price (depending which blend you get), and as postage is free for me, I don't see the point buying compatibles.

I'm interested in your views on the new one, I want to test one out. I've got used to single serve espresso from my Nespresso and bean to cup monster, so not too fussed on big cups now (used to be).

Thrash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Thrash » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:51 am

ihadablackdog wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:40 pm
Its multiples of 50 capsules (10 per sleave) and if you buy 200 at a time, it's free delivery (wow). I'm part of the Nespresso club and get free delivery on any order.

The compatible capsules don't work too well on the new Nespresso machines (my oldest is probably 2 years old now, and its not good with compatibles) because Nespresso changed the design of the "spikes" that puncture the capsule....they aren't as "beefy" as older machines, so don't always work well. I used to buy the Starbucks ones, £3 for 10, so 30p each. Originals are around that price (depending which blend you get), and as postage is free for me, I don't see the point buying compatibles.

I'm interested in your views on the new one, I want to test one out. I've got used to single serve espresso from my Nespresso and bean to cup monster, so not too fussed on big cups now (used to be).
To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect from the new machines but I was a bit disappointed. The capsules are a lot bigger and seem to be closer to a Tassimo 'disc' with a barcode on; they probably have twice the coffee as a normal capsule but of course, this is reflected in the price as they are double that of a normal capsule. It's not something I've tried with my machine but I imagine the result would be no different if I just used two normal capsules and used double the amount of water.
I think if I owned the machine and was able to experiment a bit I could probably get a good result, I do prefer proper cups of coffee and with milk and these machines seems more suited to that. I just can't justify spending that much on the machine and capsules when I could probably do the same with my current one.
2017 BMW M140i Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats - gone!

LeChuck

Post by LeChuck » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 pm

I've been using a Gaggia Classic for the last 15 years or so and its been great. I don't really see how the pod machines have taken off as every time I have tried them they've been awful :(

If you really want quick and easy buy a stovetop espresso pot and a tin of espresso grind coffee...
2017 M240i LCI MG CR

Thrash
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Thrash » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:21 pm

LeChuck wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:12 pm
I've been using a Gaggia Classic for the last 15 years or so and its been great. I don't really see how the pod machines have taken off as every time I have tried them they've been awful :(

If you really want quick and easy buy a stovetop espresso pot and a tin of espresso grind coffee...
Convenience? If I put a capsule in my Nespresso machine I can have it made for me before I've even got downstairs.
No need to clean anything after, no coffee grounds to dispose of, no standing over it waiting for it to boil.

Gaznrx8
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gaznrx8 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:24 pm

I’ve been using a Dolce gusto machine for my cappuccinos
Can’t coment if it’s better than the others mentioned above cus I’ve never tried them.

If there’s a cheaper alternative that makes better cappuccinos and is simple to use like the Dolce gusto I’ll give it a try.

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:38 pm

LeChuck wrote:I've been using a Gaggia Classic for the last 15 years or so and its been great. I don't really see how the pod machines have taken off as every time I have tried them they've been awful :(

I gave away my Nespresso machine now that I have been exposed to proper coffee at home. Nespresso coffee is unbearably lightweight and bland in comparison.

Sorry to offend the Nespresso guys but at least I’ve owned one so speaking from experience.

By the way, another excellent home solution is the Aero Press. I’ve had one for a couple of years and with freshly ground beans makes a brilliant long black.

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

Semerka

Coffee Machines

Post by Semerka » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:22 pm

I use the De Longhi Magnifica bean to cup, bought it in a sale for £300 in the summer. Very simple, not many fancy functions. It is now also a smaller machine after the face lift. (Unlike cars that tend to get bigger) :lol: Coffee comes out much hotter than from the old De Longhi, I had for 8 years before decommissioning it.

It is very convenient in the mornings for making my take away coffee, which tastes good enough to me.

Minimal maintenance too.

I agree that the coffee capsule machines must be so popular for the sheer convenience.
Now:: Macan Turbo
Gone: 2016 Macan S Diesel; 2011 N55 135i coupe; 2009 123d M sport Coupe

topuphere666
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by topuphere666 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 pm

The costa one in the local garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F20 M135i - auto -mineral grey, heated leather, pro nav and a few other bits

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 pm

topuphere666 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:05 pm
The costa one in the local garage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:36 pm

Paul CS wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:38 pm
Sorry to offend the Nespresso guys but at least I’ve owned one so speaking from experience.
No offence taken, it's all subjective.

For me, bean to cup and capsule coffee is all about convenience (ok, you can't get more convenient than normal instant coffee) but these solutions offer me good coffee (in my opinion) at the press of a button. I normally just take it black, and Deb got me a double walled glass cup which keeps it hot for ages. I don't top it up with water. If I want a milky coffee, my bean to cup has an automatic steamer arm that takes care of the frothy stuff.

I got the Nespresso when I worked 12 hour shifts, cos I wanted something better than instant. People may think low of pod compared to other methods, but I can tell a big difference between pod and instant. I find the milk pods in other machines don't taste quite right, but I don't use my Nespresso for milk drinks.

I'm using it at home at the moment as the **SPAM** isn't finished in my new job...when it is, the Nespresso will be going to work again, and I'll be back to beans at home.

Convenience is key for me (read...lazy), I just know that if any effort was needed, I wouldn't use it every day.

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:42 pm

Thrash wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:51 am
To be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect from the new machines but I was a bit disappointed. The capsules are a lot bigger and seem to be closer to a Tassimo 'disc' with a barcode on; they probably have twice the coffee as a normal capsule but of course, this is reflected in the price as they are double that of a normal capsule. It's not something I've tried with my machine but I imagine the result would be no different if I just used two normal capsules and used double the amount of water.
I think if I owned the machine and was able to experiment a bit I could probably get a good result, I do prefer proper cups of coffee and with milk and these machines seems more suited to that. I just can't justify spending that much on the machine and capsules when I could probably do the same with my current one.
I didn't realise the capsules were twice as much. Normal pods are circa 30p so I wouldn't want to pay more (in my 12 hour shifts in my previous jobs I would probably have 4 or 5 coffees, which was still cheaper than the daily Costa in my job before that). Obviously I like the gimmicky rotating bit (not seen one in person though).

I used to have a full cup/mug of instant. Then I got the bean to cup at home and made an espresso and topped it up with water, but that sometimes seemed weak to me. When I got the Nespresso, I was gonna do the same, but a colleague at work just had the normal shot, so I tried and found it much stronger and lasted as long as its more sipping than gulping.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”