Speeding - counting the cost

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Always in front

Post by Always in front » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Apologies realise this isn't particularly relevant to my car but thought it might be useful to put on here and share my experience as I've seen a few posts around how quick our M140's are and M2's embarrassing super cars. I was travelling on an A road the other day, the wife is sitting next to me with a 335 diesel in front coming off the roundabout he goes for it and he's pulling away. She turns around and says I can't believe that car is quicker than yours so challenge accepted I go for it as well. Long story short I went past him and slowed down, another 3 series unmarked in grey pulled right in behind me from nowhere and in front of the other 3 series which I thought was strange so I slowed right down to crawling speed. Unfortunately it was too late as he had already measured my speed above the limit and after a while the lights came on etc. A fixed penalty £100 and 3 points and although I did have a clean licence too fast for the speed awareness course. The officer showed me a chart showing 96mph or above is automatic visit to the Magistrates and prosecution, so watch out for bland looking 3 and 5 series and don't do 96 or above or it could be very costly.
On Order - M2
Current - M140i Manual
Gone - Celica, Celica T-Sport, TT Roadster, 350Z Coupe, 320D Touring

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Speeding - counting the cost

Post by marco_polo » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:26 pm

Always in front wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:20 pm
watch out for bland looking 3 and 5 series and don't do 96 or above or it could be very costly.
There's no rhyme nor reason to the mix of undercover cars they use around my area (Kent), in the last week I've seen two SEAT's, a Volvo, an Audi and Ford. All with blues and two's on.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Always in front

Post by Always in front » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:37 pm

Ah ok those makes and models shoot down my thinking in flames :) the best tip I heard was if you see a BMW using its indicators and driving at the speed limit or below its probably a law enforcement car. I'll expand my thinking to say saloon/estate and something pretty powerful to keep up with whatever it might need to catch.
On Order - M2
Current - M140i Manual

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:54 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:26 pm
Always in front wrote:
watch out for bland looking 3 and 5 series and don't do 96 or above or it could be very costly.
There's no rhyme nor reason to the mix of undercover cars they use around my area (Kent), in the last week I've seen two SEAT's, a Volvo, an Audi and Ford. All with blues and two's on.
It used to be that they were white, less than 3 years old and had aerials were they shouldnt. Then they stopped playing fair :(

4+ doors, 2 rear view mirrors and no dealer logos on car or numberplate is about the best I can see these days, they dont tend to lane hog, tailgate or go much quicker than 80 either. Good luck out there people :lol:

topuphere666
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by topuphere666 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:16 pm

I’ve seen them using s3’s local to me! As well as a4 estates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
F20 M135i - auto -mineral grey, heated leather, pro nav and a few other bits

Symo6791
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Symo6791 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Yeh , couple of S3’s on the A3 stretches around the M25 area. See them a couple of times a week. Black and a grey one.
M140 Shadow Edition 5 door
Estoril Blue
Pro Nav / Adaptive Suspension / Auto / Seat heating / Folding mirrors / Apple CarPlay

M Performance sills and MP side foils / Orbit Grey bumper blades / Maxton splitter and Maxton spoiler cap / AutoID mirror caps

Kerr

Post by Kerr » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:04 pm

Are you only getting done for speeding if he witnessed you racing?

The police have so many unmarked cars now. A 3 or 5 series are common choices.

Ashley1992
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ashley1992 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 pm

They’ve got S3, golf r, saloon Subaru near me. There hard to spot! 8/10 times the regs are MX in Manchester
Bmw M240i

jallen
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by jallen » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:14 pm

Always in front wrote:I was travelling on an A road the other day, the wife is sitting next to me with a 335 diesel in front coming off the roundabout he goes for it and he's pulling away. She turns around and says I can't believe that car is quicker than yours so challenge accepted I go for it
Are you 17?

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:18 pm

jallen wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:14 pm
Always in front wrote:I was travelling on an A road the other day, the wife is sitting next to me with a 335 diesel in front coming off the roundabout he goes for it and he's pulling away. She turns around and says I can't believe that car is quicker than yours so challenge accepted I go for it
Are you 17?

I’m 43 and I’d have done the same.

Don’t play the holier than thou card, we’ve all been there. :)
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Ashley1992
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ashley1992 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:24 pm

OneTwenty wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:18 pm
jallen wrote:
Are you 17?

I’m 43 and I’d have done the same.

Don’t play the holier than thou card, we’ve all been there. :)
My dads 54 and Just as bad as me 😂 he’s not lost a race yet as he’s got a E63S
Bmw M240i

Always in front

Post by Always in front » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:08 am

Kerr wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:04 pm
Are you only getting done for speeding if he witnessed you racing?

He basically said the other BMW caught his interest at first but he measured my speed over a mile I guess because I was in the fast lane and the other car had pulled into the slow lane. Luckily for me I backed off otherwise it could have been a whole lot worse. The other car sailed on by probably either thinking phew lucky escape or ha ha t0sser :lol:
On Order - M2
Current - M140i Manual

Always in front

Post by Always in front » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:10 am

jallen wrote:
Are you 17?

Nope but I clearly still drive as fast as I did when I was 17.
On Order - M2
Current - M140i Manual

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:14 am

Always in front wrote:
so watch out for bland looking 3 and 5 series and don't do 96 or above or it could be very costly.
Undercover police drive more than just 3 and 5 series.

I've seen them in White VW Caddy Vans, Black Ford S Max's, Black S3, Grey 1 Series, Grey 3 Series, all sorts.
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:19 pm

Skodas round here a lot too. And result on not getting nicked for street racing, Ive had mates jailed over that before, and its the only offence you can lose your license for life over :shock:

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”