Meltdown and Spectre

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Meltdown and Spectre

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Any other SYS Admins balls being broke over this, can't apply any updates unless the below reg key is present since we use McAfee.

RegKey="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat"
Value Name ="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc"
Type="REG_DWORD"
Data="0x00000000"

Machines won't update unless the above key is present, we don't manage the EPO for McAfee so have to chase the EPO team to get this done. Patch Tuesday was yesterday. This is going to be a ball buster for all SYS Admins, I've not pushed updates to my testers until I've tested this myself.
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

Ja50nK
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Meltdown and Spectre

Post by Ja50nK » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:14 pm

Related?

https://www.neowin.net/news/future-wind ... t-properly

Edit: Seems that is exactly the issue - see mcafee website here:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?p ... id=KB90167

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Ja50nK on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sunset Orange LCI2 M140i, Auto, 5 Door, MPE

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:18 pm

I don't know about the Reg key as noted as I'm not a fan of McAfee but if your machines have AMD chips there's a bug in one of the latest MS updates which results in a boot loop.

Consequently, MS will probably slow down any other updates until they've sorted the issue.
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:08 pm

I no the fixes and what needs to be done, just a ball buster. We also run bit locker, so more things to be done before I can push updates out. We only run Intel chips so won't have the boot loops.

Also had the HP keylogger to deal with last month and issues with the tpm chip vulnerability. It haven't been a good few months to be a sys administrator.

Haven't had a drink in over four years, I think one or two will be called for after this is all sorted.

How's all you guys getting on with things.
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”