Speed Camera Flash

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

CynicalRobot
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Speed Camera Flash

Post by CynicalRobot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 am

Quick bit of advice.... get the Waze app and have it open constantly when driving. You don't have to put a route in to where you are going, just have it open.

It will alert you to the speed limits, some fixed cameras / popular police mobile camera spots / average cameras etc. It won't ever be 100% accurate so don't rely solely on it. However for that one new road you are on it may save you from thinking the speed limit is higher than it really is!
2016 BMW M135i LCI

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Speed Camera Flash

Post by Twenny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 am

CynicalRobot wrote:Quick bit of advice.... get the Waze app and have it open constantly when driving. You don't have to put a route in to where you are going, just have it open.

It will alert you to the speed limits, some fixed cameras / popular police mobile camera spots / average cameras etc. It won't ever be 100% accurate so don't rely solely on it. However for that one new road you are on it may save you from thinking the speed limit is higher than it really is!
This. Excellent advice.

Sounds corny but as in the advert - drive the roads you do like the ones you don’t.

I shall try to adopt this ideology.

I did say try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Twenny on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Twenny

Speed Camera Flash

Post by Twenny » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 am

Deleted.
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Peter9588 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am

CynicalRobot wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 am
Quick bit of advice.... get the Waze app and have it open constantly when driving. You don't have to put a route in to where you are going, just have it open.

I've already started doing exactly this. working well so far.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Peter9588 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:34 am

jallen wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:34 pm
Peter9588 wrote:
Barney McGrew wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:03 am

So the dual carriageway was a 30!

Was this one of those cases of a 'restricted road' - this happens a lot apparently. If you're in an 'urban' area with street lights, they don't need to signpost the speed limit as it defaults to 30, but people automatically expect a dual carriageway to be higher (I'd expect 40 as a minimum). There was a petition years ago to put 30 repeater signs up to warn people, but don't think it went anywhere. I think this is pretty bad when they then put speed camera's up.
Yep exactly this, there were no signs indicating the speed limit from when I turned onto the road until i got to the camera.

FYI it was the camera in bitterne Southampton, 3rd most prolific in the country.
The road you’re referring to is in a heavily built up area with housing and pavements on either side. I’m surprised you thought it would be 50mph. The lack of speed limit signs is a bit of a clue too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The numerous articles about these particular cameras suggest it is not completely obvious it is a 30.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/1063666 ... ed_camera/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england ... eed-camera
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon

Thrash
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Thrash » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:36 am

I must admit, I was a bit disappointed that the BMW nav (or business nav, at least) doesn't display speed limits at all. On my Mercedes, even the old Becker Map pilot system used to display the speed limit for the road your on, it didn't use any camera but I think it was built in to the system.
2018 Mercedes-Benz C200 AMG Line Coupe Polar White
2017 BMW M140i Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats - gone!

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:51 pm

My f@ck knows how old Tomtom displays the speed limit for the road you are on.

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:21 pm

My Pioneer AVIC-F80DAB shows speed limits & camera locations. It was an extra cost though!

0l0dom0l0

Post by 0l0dom0l0 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 am

We can all speculate but you just have to wait for it to come through the post.
2007 130i LE - BMWP Exhaust, Strut Brace, Air Filter, Short Shift kit and Handbrake.
B12 KIT with M3 LCA and TS.
Plus Cruise Control, Digital Speedo, CDV Delete, Camber Pin Mod, OEM LED Numberplate Lights, Brighter Non-dimming OEM Angel Eyes.

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:06 am

0l0dom0l0 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:57 am
We can all speculate but you just have to wait for it to come through the post.
It's over 14 days now so if it hasn't arrived it will be unenforceable now anyway (unless they've changed that rule as well).

ASB1960
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ASB1960 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:20 am

Not necessarily. It has always been the case that it is only the first nip that goes to the registered keeper needs to be within 14 days.

If it is on pcp that is likely to be BMW FS.
M135i 3 door, auto, mineral grey/oyster - black, bus nav, black panel, adaptive, driver comfort. Arrived 24th June 2014.

BillTheButcher
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BillTheButcher » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 am

ASB1960 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:20 am
Not necessarily. It has always been the case that it is only the first nip that goes to the registered keeper needs to be within 14 days.

It was my understanding that the NIP needs to have been issued within 14 days, not received. This allows for them getting lost or delayed in the post.

Also, if a car is on PCP the finance company is the owner but not necessarily the registered keeper. My 140 is on PCP with BMW FS. They are listed as the owners but I am the registered keeper.

Sam_M
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam_M » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am

BillTheButcher wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:30 am
ASB1960 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:20 am

It was my understanding that the NIP needs to have been issued within 14 days, not received. This allows for them getting lost or delayed in the post.

Nope, must be received within 14 days.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/lofiversion/i ... 45843.html
Letter delay man wins speed case

Mr Gidden was caught going at 85mph on the M180 motorway

A man charged with speeding has had his conviction quashed because a postal strike led to his notification letter being delivered too late.

Peter Gidden, 48, of Dodworth, South Yorkshire, received his letter two days late after a postal strike in 2007.

The law states that police must send notice of intention to prosecute within 14 days of an alleged offence.

On Thursday the High Court ruled that the conviction was not legal because the time limit had not been met.

Mr Gidden was caught on a speed camera doing 85mph (137km/h) on the M180 in Lincolnshire in October 2007.

But a backlog of mail caused by a postal strike at the time held up the letter sent by police.

'Matter of principle'

He received it after 16 days had passed.

Following his decision, Lord Justice Elias said the case was relevant to the current postal strikes and said the law may have to be revised to avoid similar issues in the future.

He said: "The authorities must adopt other means of warning, if they are to avoid the risk of late delivery.

"Alternatively, the remedy lies in the hands of Parliament by amending...the 1988 [Road Traffic Offenders] Act."

Mr Gidden had previously appealed against the conviction at Grimsby Crown Court and Scunthorpe Magistrates' Court.

The High Court quashed his conviction and set aside fines and legal costs totalling £680. They also wiped three penalty points from his licence.

His legal fees of £8,000 will be paid for from public funds.

"In a way this is a matter of principle", Mr Gidden said.

"Law enforcers have to work within the law to gain the respect of the general public."
I knew the guy, he worked on my old MR2 Turbo. He was lucky in that the postie that delivered the late NIP acted as a witness. I might be wrong but I don't believe the legislation referred to by the high court judge in the above article has been amended.

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:05 am

Sam_M wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:57 am
Nope, must be received within 14 days.
Yep, I think the wording in law is the NIP must be served to the registered keeper within 14 days.

This would mean receiving it in the post. If you claim you didn't receive it due to being on holiday etc then it wont wash, as the letter was still served to the keepers address.

Sam_M
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam_M » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:09 am

Indeed. I think the judge also commented that if the Police want to ensure delivery within 14 days, they should perhaps consider recorded delivery or some other courier method.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”