Rumored changes to MOT?

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Rumored changes to MOT?

Post by marco_polo » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:56 pm

Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the proposals:
  • People who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct.
  • Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.
  • Brake pad warning lights are a major fail
  • Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.
  • Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. (Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.)
  • Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.
  • Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.
  • Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.
  • A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail
  • Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current MOT test limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as just 0.30 with the new rules. :shock:
These are just some of the bigger changes to the MOT test the average motorist is likely to be affected by. There are dozens, perhaps even over 100 proposed changes to the actual MOT test and to the way testers record tests on the MOT computer. Please remember these are all subject to change in the coming months....

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ssion-data
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

mikeyscott
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Rumored changes to MOT?

Post by mikeyscott » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:04 pm

Personally I don't disagree with any of the above, what I also want to see is tax scrapped and it put on fuel. You pay for what you use and if you're a tax dodging piece of sh*t, you'll still have to pay.
135i E82 2011 Alpine White, Birds B1, Michelin PSS
Volvo C30 D4 R - Daily
VW Golf MK5 R32 09 - Gone and miss the traction.
123d E87 59 - Gone
Volvo S40 T5 Polestar 08 - Gone - Missed as mega comfortable
Seat Leon Cupra 03 - Gone

BMWBrad
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by BMWBrad » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:14 pm

I don’t agree with adding more tax into fuel, there’s plenty already.
What about the old guy who doesn’t own a car, but has a Petrol mower?
What I do think is that these tax dodging w****rs should face heavier penalties. That way, us honest folk aren’t affected.

Back on topic, I agree with the MOT changes.
Pampered E81 130i
(Alpinweiss, Black Boston, CC, Adaptive Xenons, Pro HU w/BT & USB, F&R PDC)
BMWPE- BMWP SSK- BMWP Handbrake- BMWPV1 Steering Wheel- Alcantara Binnacle- Darklines- L7 Mids & Tweeters

Sam_M
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam_M » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 am

mikeyscott wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:04 pm
Personally I don't disagree with any of the above, what I also want to see is tax scrapped and it put on fuel. You pay for what you use and if you're a tax dodging piece of sh*t, you'll still have to pay.
Totally agree. Put third party insurance on it whilst your at it and kill two birds with one stone.

You can ban and fine them till the cows come home. Harsher penalties will not stop little c-nts driving.

CynicalRobot
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CynicalRobot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 am

Looking forward to all those with HID's getting them removed and i will no longer be blinded by random Clios!
2016 BMW M135i LCI

adam1990
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by adam1990 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:13 am

At last!!! No more bloody HID’s!

Would hate to own a diesel though when this comes into play with the lowered emissions, that could be a big problem for older higher millage cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009 E87 118D

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 am

Sam_M wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:12 am
mikeyscott wrote:
Totally agree. Put third party insurance on it whilst your at it and kill two birds with one stone.

You can ban and fine them till the cows come home. Harsher penalties will not stop little c-nts driving.
+1 for this, all road costs should go onto fuel, including an extra pothole/road care fund sidelined just for that purpose.

It's the only fair way of doing it, the more miles you do the more you pay, rather than those of us that do small miles having to pay the same as the sales reps etc.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Sam_M
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Sam_M » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:04 am

OneTwenty wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 am
Sam_M wrote:
mikeyscott wrote:

+1 for this, all road costs should go onto fuel, including an extra pothole/road care fund sidelined just for that purpose.

It's the only fair way of doing it, the more miles you do the more you pay, rather than those of us that do small miles having to pay the same as the sales reps etc.
You gotta wonder what the government is going to do once electric cars become more common. All that fuel duty lost.

Barney McGrew
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:10 am

The aftermarket HID/LED being a fail is long overdue. Too many idiots blinding everyone with lights not designed for the housing.

The only trouble is people will simply swap them back when they get back home, so it's not really going to solve anything unfortunately but might make a few think twice about fitting them if they don't want the hassle.
OneTwenty wrote:
The problem with this is haulage companies etc that do big miles simply put the price up on everything they ship, this then comes back to us. So all our goods that are delivered and sent round the country to shops etc will all go up to cover the costs. Taxi / bus fairs will go up. At the end of the day it's always Joe Public that will end up paying for these types of charging.

In theory it's a great idea though, people were saying this is how it should be decades ago so it's not a new idea. I barely do any mileage on some of my vehicles so it would be great for those, but for businesses it has a big knock on effect.

CynicalRobot
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CynicalRobot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:55 am

Sam_M wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:04 am
OneTwenty wrote:
Sam_M wrote:

You gotta wonder what the government is going to do once electric cars become more common. All that fuel duty lost.
They will start putting tax on the electric too, its the only way to keep the money rolling in?
2016 BMW M135i LCI

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:15 am

Barney McGrew wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:10 am
The aftermarket HID/LED being a fail is long overdue. Too many idiots blinding everyone with lights not designed for the housing.

The only trouble is people will simply swap them back when they get back home, so it's not really going to solve anything unfortunately but might make a few think twice about fitting them if they don't want the hassle.
OneTwenty wrote:
The problem with this is haulage companies etc that do big miles simply put the price up on everything they ship, this then comes back to us. So all our goods that are delivered and sent round the country to shops etc will all go up to cover the costs. Taxi / bus fairs will go up. At the end of the day it's always Joe Public that will end up paying for these types of charging.

In theory it's a great idea though, people were saying this is how it should be decades ago so it's not a new idea. I barely do any mileage on some of my vehicles so it would be great for those, but for businesses it has a big knock on effect.
I'm sure they could build in some movement for commercial use, cheaper fuel rates or tax rebates for business to keep costs down.

The gov't could even look at going back to rail deliveries and use the rail network to move stock around - imagine how good the motorways would be if they weren't clogged up with wagons trying to overtake each other at 1mph difference!! :lol:
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

CynicalRobot
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by CynicalRobot » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:23 am

I also wonder if this new MOT emissions rule for diesels will effect buses? there are a few on the local route around me and you cannot stay within 15ft of it there is so much smoke, it smells absolutely horrid! I see people covering their mouths when it pulls up to a bus stop :shock:
2016 BMW M135i LCI

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:15 pm

You have to wonder what the world will be like in 200, 300 or 500 years from now with regards transport!!

Will it be as it is in the sci-fi films, all electric, flying vehicles etc, or something totally different that we can't even imagine yet!!

Slightly sad sometimes that none of us will be around to see what happens.

R99
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by R99 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Great to see, particularly the points around DPF removal and the fitting of HID's! :mrgreen:
2016 F31 330d M Sport Touring
Individual Pure Blue | Oyster Leather | M3 Mirrors | MP Kidney Grilles | ID6 | Custom Steering Wheel |

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 pm

Good for HID's in Halogens, fishing dazzling things! Hate them with a passion.

Misaligned/dazzling headlights have to be the worst thing ever on the road!
| E87 M Sport | 116i LCI (2.0) | Titanium Silver | Airlift 3P | Zito 935/Ispiri CSR4/Compomotive TS701 | Pioneer/Gladen/JL Audio | Custom Exhaust/Steering Wheel | Much, much more |

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”