Sub £100 wireless router

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

Matthaus
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Sub £100 wireless router

Post by Matthaus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47 am

There is no need to replace the entire WIFI router / modem side of things. In some ways it offers you more choice an better devices if you dont do this.

I have Sky and use their device for the 'connection' side of it then output the WAN port to a TP-LINK Wireless router which offers 802.11AC and so on - then just turn off WIFI on the Sky unit.

It makes *such* a huge difference to WIFI in the house - any off the shelf device from BT/Sky/Virgin/Anyone is utter sh*t.

I know people would like an all in one unit, but that is not really the best way to go. And more expensive (probably)
BMW 135i Coupe - Sold
BMW M240i Coupe - Finally arrived!

mouse140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by mouse140i » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:10 pm

The one thing stopping me from replacing the Sky router is that I'll loose the wireless repeating offered with the mini Sky Q box.

As best I can work out the only way you have the mini Sky Q repeating the signal is by using the Sky router.

ihadablackdog
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Sub £100 wireless router

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Matthaus wrote:There is no need to replace the entire WIFI router / modem side of things. In some ways it offers you more choice an better devices if you dont do this.

I have Sky and use their device for the 'connection' side of it then output the WAN port to a TP-LINK Wireless router which offers 802.11AC and so on - then just turn off WIFI on the Sky unit.

It makes *such* a huge difference to WIFI in the house - any off the shelf device from BT/Sky/Virgin/Anyone is utter sh*t.

I know people would like an all in one unit, but that is not really the best way to go. And more expensive (probably)
Thats how it currently is....Openreach vdsl modem into airport extreme wireless router.

I wanted to replace both as i’m not convinced they are working right and I wanted a single box. I know some people use modem, router, access points etc but I didnt want this level of setup - I want a single box solution. For my needs (and equipment) I don’t beed blazing fast ping times etc.

£79.99 is a good price for what I want, fits my needs exactly.

Matthaus
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Matthaus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm

ihadablackdog wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:54 pm
Matthaus wrote:There is no need to replace the entire WIFI router / modem side of things. In some ways it offers you more choice an better devices if you dont do this.

Thats how it currently is....Openreach vdsl modem into airport extreme wireless router.

I wanted to replace both as i’m not convinced they are working right and I wanted a single box. I know some people use modem, router, access points etc but I didnt want this level of setup - I want a single box solution. For my needs (and equipment) I don’t beed blazing fast ping times etc.

You are lucky you are with an ISP that allow you to use a 'modem' that is not theirs.

You'll do fine with the TP-Link stuff I should think - used their kit for years and it has always been the best bang for buck.
BMW 135i Coupe - Sold
BMW M240i Coupe - Finally arrived!

ChrisOllie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChrisOllie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:32 am

ihadablackdog wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:54 pm

Yeah I considered using the HH5 as just the modem and buying a cheaper router to function as only the wifi, but tbh that's just asking for more issues for not a massive saving when you consider the TP Link just as an example is £80. Also 2 boxes running at the same time instead of 1, just gave me the fear of increased fire hazzard / mess / clutter etc etc

A few more days on and the TP Link still going strong, still maxing out what's possible from my line and no connection issues whatsoever
Mercedes E Class / Previously - M135 Manual / Alfa 159 Ti

Ackers
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ackers » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:11 am

When you say your current set up is a bit flaky, is that because it keeps dropping out or you just want to get better speed?
That 30mbs is that what your measuring over wifi? pretty much all i'd expect over 2.4ghz wifi signal?

Have you tried changing the WiFi channel. I can see around 8 neighbours routers in my street, if they are all on the default ch11 that most routers choose that could be an issue?

I have a Virgin 100Mbs service, I put their (not so) superhub 2 into modem only and then plugged in my own D-Link DIR880 dual band AC router to broadcast the signal, using both 2.4 and 5ghz channels. The 2.4 is better for range, the 5 is better for speed/uninterrupted signal, get around 80mbs around the house. :)
2008 123d auto M-Sport

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:36 am

Reliability. Speed is good (ADSL was only 2Mbps), so i'm happy with 30+, although I do wonder if I am missing out on newer standards as my stuff is so old.

It drops out now and then, and stalls quite often, although that could be my laptop, cos sometimes my phone is ok.

Changed channel to least congested a few months ago. Admittedly, I haven't checked again.

So i'm not confident the equipment is working as it should, hence the change. It might make no difference, but for £80 its worth a go.

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:11 pm

Easy to return to Amazon if it doesn't improve things. All the blurb says improvements so if it doesn't then send it back :)
M140i, Mineral Grey

robsaboy
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by robsaboy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:54 pm

ihadablackdog wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:36 am
Reliability. Speed is good (ADSL was only 2Mbps), so i'm happy with 30+, although I do wonder if I am missing out on newer standards as my stuff is so old.

It drops out now and then, and stalls quite often, although that could be my laptop, cos sometimes my phone is ok.

Changed channel to least congested a few months ago. Admittedly, I haven't checked again.

So i'm not confident the equipment is working as it should, hence the change. It might make no difference, but for £80 its worth a go.
Have you got the new router set up yet?
M140i, Mineral Grey

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:41 am

robsaboy wrote:
ihadablackdog wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:36 am

Have you got the new router set up yet?
Not yet, it came earlier in the week, but I haven’t had a chance to do it yet, and i’m busy tomorrow. We might get snowed in on Sunday so that will be a good time to do it.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”