Weekend car...

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

simo2007
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Weekend car...

Post by simo2007 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm intrigued to get some of your opinions. The time has come to buy something a bit naughty. I'm going to put it straight out there, my dream car is a Nissan GT-R, I have done the man maths and I can afford a MY09/10 very soon, or I can wait a further 12 months (MY12/13).

I'm also a bit torn, whilst it is my dream car, we're talking about potentially dropping £40k+ on something that is depreciating, albeit slowly. I've come to realise, however, life is short, and if I'm completely honest I would keep the car for the very foreseeable future (a decade plus). I also plan to do a 2/3 week tour of western Europe next year.

I had my heart set on a 135i coupe, but after test driving one at the weekend it didn't really excite me. I currently drive a 123d coupe (remapped) as my 'daily' and in stock form, the 135i certainly didn't feel special enough. I'm sure with a few bolt ons and the JB4 it would feel a lot more exciting but this is what's lead me to just thinking sod it- aim for the GT-R.

Are there any other cars, in your opinions, that I have potentially overlooked? What have people moved on from after the 123d/135i/M135i, or what do you use as your weekender if you have one?

I have considered the following:

E92 M3 - stunning car, but makes me think the M5 might be that bit more special
E60 M5 - wolf in sheeps clothing, but touring Europe would be draining having to fill up all the time (no pun intended)
Evo IX FQ - not many examples, and also potential rust issues already
Megane RS250 - everyone says it's the ultimate drivers car within financial reason, anyone vouch for that?
MKIV Supra TT6 - my second dream car, but try finding one!

A couple of friends have suggested the 2 seater convertible route, namely Honda S2000 or Z4M, but I'm more of a coupe/saloon guy.

Look forward to your responses.
E82 123d M Sport in Sedona Red. Mods: Bluetooth Retrofit, Shark Fin Aerial Retrofit, De-Chromed Window Surrounds, Ferric Grey Wheel Refurb, Removed Swirl Flaps, BMWP Twin Tailpipe. To do: BMWP Carbon Boot-Lip Spoiler.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Weekend car...

Post by marco_polo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:04 pm

Audi R8 / Porker 997 Turbo ?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Fritz
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Fritz » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:36 pm

Low mileage original e46 m3, can't get much more of a drivers car and you probably wouldn't loose money on it!

I know someone that did the whole 'screw it just buy it' route with a similar car to the GTR, he sold it about 3 months after buying it, didn't give him the pleasure he wanted from it and the fact it is was a very expensive car by everyday standard certainly played a part. Car parks become an even more scary place than usual and its obviously a nice target for thieves. Personally I would advise being really boring and really thinking on it for a while before spending a lot of dosh, I'd drive a couple and really look at it from a sensible point of view. The new car buzz will wear off and when it does, you want a car that will still excite :D Still a nice problem to have!

simo2007
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by simo2007 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:04 pm
Audi R8 / Porker 997 Turbo ?
I didn't even realise the R8's could be had in the £30k's now! 997 turbo is mid to high £40k's still, but what a pair of cars!
Fritz wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:36 pm
Low mileage original e46 m3, can't get much more of a drivers car and you probably wouldn't loose money on it!

I know someone that did the whole 'screw it just buy it' route with a similar car to the GTR, he sold it about 3 months after buying it, didn't give him the pleasure he wanted from it and the fact it is was a very expensive car by everyday standard certainly played a part. Car parks become an even more scary place than usual and its obviously a nice target for thieves. Personally I would advise being really boring and really thinking on it for a while before spending a lot of dosh, I'd drive a couple and really look at it from a sensible point of view. The new car buzz will wear off and when it does, you want a car that will still excite :D Still a nice problem to have!
I do come back to the E46 M3 quite a lot, I'm definitely keen to test drive one. Have you got first hand experience with one?
E82 123d M Sport in Sedona Red. Mods: Bluetooth Retrofit, Shark Fin Aerial Retrofit, De-Chromed Window Surrounds, Ferric Grey Wheel Refurb, Removed Swirl Flaps, BMWP Twin Tailpipe. To do: BMWP Carbon Boot-Lip Spoiler.

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Impreza P1?

These are starting to go up in value now. They were about £7k or so a few years back when I wanted one but are up around £12-13 now.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

binocular
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by binocular » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:33 pm

I know it’s only 2 seats but how many times are you going to use more? 981 Cayman S every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alpine White F20 M135i, auto, adaptive, MPE.

ihadablackdog

Post by ihadablackdog » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:39 pm

The Z4M isn't a convertible is it? Is it classed as a coupe?

They never did an e89 "M", although there are the 35i etc, don't know what they are like regards power.

Any Z4 variant isn't going to tick any "practical" boxes, but for a weekend car, thats not overly important, and you can get a surprising amount in the boot, even with the roof down. Enough for luggage if going on a journey.

Although as Twenny will vouch for, ANY car is an "M" car once you slap the badge on the back and front grill! Doesn't even need to be a BMW!

Blackroc

Post by Blackroc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:29 pm

TTRS?

R8 pace but cheaper to run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:37 am

1M
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

Sonic1506

Post by Sonic1506 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:57 am

ihadablackdog wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:39 pm
Yes coupe.

and79
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by and79 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Sonic1506 wrote:
ihadablackdog wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:39 pm
Yes coupe.

Z4M was available in both coupe and convertible guises.

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”