Any other watch fans on here? - part 2

Start and join discussions that are not related to BMW. Talk about anything that takes your fancy: jokes, cars, music, anything......

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Mbateman
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Any other watch fans on here? - part 2

Post by Mbateman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:14 am

Peter.V wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 am

My wife was looking at the same Rolex, but she ended up going for this:

Apparently it goes with more things, so I'd have a look if I was you! I must admit, the dial really pops in any light, it's beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did look at the DateJust. Its an extra £1k over the Oyster Perpetual and is a smaller watch at 28mm (Osyter is 31mm)

Mbateman
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mbateman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:16 am

marco_polo wrote:Lets see the white one? Does she like diamonds and bling?
This is the white face. I wasn't keen on the blue numeralsImage

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:19 am

Hmmm. The Omega is much prettier, but a Rolex is a Rolex....
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Paul W
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Paul W » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:24 am

personally go rolex - although special occasion, better investment

OMEGA's do not hold value and for me a Rolex is a Rolex

I would suggest however trying them on as some rolex can feel cheap (they are not but can feel that way)
Follow me on twitter @pwhittingham22 and flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/93528820@N05/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2016 M135i,White, red leather,Comfort pack,sun protection,heated seats
2014 A6 BE,White,lots of extras

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:28 am

Paul W wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:24 am

I would suggest however trying them on as some rolex can feel cheap (they are not but can feel that way)
Aggreed, I think this one Mbateman posted is in that category. It doesn't feel as special as other Rolexes. If the price is a deterrent, I'd go for the Omega this time... A woman probably cares less for the name and the value, more about what it looks like and the diamond bling. :D
Peter
M140i 5-door, Auto, MG with oyster and fineline + Bilstein B12 coilover kit

Mbateman
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mbateman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:48 am

Peter.V wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:28 am
Paul W wrote:

Aggreed, I think this one Mbateman posted is in that category. It doesn't feel as special as other Rolexes. If the price is a deterrent, I'd go for the Omega this time... A woman probably cares less for the name and the value, more about what it looks like and the diamond bling. :D
Cheers for the feed back guys.
I also looked at the Oyster Perpetual 28, which did feel a bit "cheap", which is why i preferred the 31mm.

I would like to go for the pink Datejust posted above by Peter.V but we are talking £1900 more than the Omega and £1k more than the Rolex Oyster Perpetual. £1k for the date function seems a lot!

Matt

JohnKimble
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by JohnKimble » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:21 am

It's a special occasion so are you likely to be worried about selling it on?

I'd be buying the Date-Just, it is more special IMO. It's 900 more but then it is a Rolex and it's also an auto where the Omega is quartz of course.
F20 M140i Shadow manual
Was - E81 130i

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HaiderGill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:27 am

Hmmm Rolex is too common, a luxury brand should be exclusive. The designs are too boring.

Does your wife like watches, Have you thought about diamond studs?
120d RS (RoadSport) Steptronic 5 door in Sparkling Graphite, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit, black leather, BMWP Style 269, PS4, Professional Sat-Nav, iPod integration kit, Bluetooth, custom speaker install, performance pedals:)

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:17 pm

JohnKimble wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:21 am
It's a special occasion so are you likely to be worried about selling it on?

I'd be buying the Date-Just, it is more special IMO. It's 900 more but then it is a Rolex and it's also an auto where the Omega is quartz of course.
Jesus, that's daylight robbery for a quartz watch!
Peter

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Mbateman wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:48 am
Peter.V wrote:
Paul W wrote:

I also looked at the Oyster Perpetual 28, which did feel a bit "cheap", which is why i preferred the 31mm.

I would like to go for the pink Datejust posted above by Peter.V but we are talking £1900 more than the Omega and £1k more than the Rolex Oyster Perpetual. £1k for the date function seems a lot!

Matt
The Datejust will always be worth that much more if you ever come to sell it.
Have you been to look at them in the shop? You'll know which one is right once you hold them in your hands.
Peter

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HaiderGill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Peter.V wrote:
Mbateman wrote:
Peter.V wrote:

Matt
Have you been to look at them in the shop? You'll know which one is right once you hold them in your hands.
Better off buying crypto currencies if you looking at making money. If you're buying a watch go with your heart. Rolex have well laid out logically designed easy to service movements. Have a friend who is horologist, got the qualifications to work with all Swiss watch makers, they are dying breed lack of fresh blood coming in. Prices to service mechanical watches are going through the roof. Baume Mercier quoted me £425 to service Capeland S Valjoux 7750. Valjoux been bought by ETA who are owned by the Swatch group.

The French watch makers Breguet are the oldest around, along with Patek Phillipe have the pedigree. Rolex are fine watches nothing special, Frank Muller, Ullysee Nardin etc...those are the bulge bracket premier league luxury watches

120d RS (RoadSport) Steptronic 5 door in Sparkling Graphite, Koni FSDs, Eibach Pro Kit, black leather, BMWP Style 269, PS4, Professional Sat-Nav, iPod integration kit, Bluetooth, custom speaker install, performance pedals:)

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:10 pm

HaiderGill wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:44 pm
Peter.V wrote:
Mbateman wrote:

Matt
Better off buying crypto currencies if you looking at making money. If you're buying a watch go with your heart. Rolex have well laid out logically designed easy to service movements. Have a friend who is horologist, got the qualifications to work with all Swiss watch makers, they are dying breed lack of fresh blood coming in. Prices to service mechanical watches are going through the roof. Baume Mercier quoted me £425 to service Capeland S Valjoux 7750. Valjoux been bought by ETA who are owned by the Swatch group.

The French watch makers Breguet are the oldest around, along with Patek Phillipe have the pedigree. Rolex are fine watches nothing special, Frank Muller, Ullysee Nardin etc...those are the bulge bracket premier league luxury watches
i understand, but the dry fact is that Rolex watches don't tend to drop too much in value as they age. Whether that's artificially induced by Rolex not pumping out the volumes or just due to the image attached to the brand is a different conversation.

What you're saying is also totally irrelevant in this conversation, as the OP already decided to get (not just a watch, but) an Omega or a Rolex and as much as I like some of the UN watches, 99% of the people have never heard of them. (OP's wife probably included, I know my wife hasn't)
Rolex and Omega are well known amongst people who don't necessarily care for Horology and have designs that appeal for a very wide audience. You can buy better quality, you can buy cheaper, but Rolex is always going to be Rolex I'm afraid.

Re servicing: if you can afford a £4K+ watch, hopefully £500 for servicing every 8 years is not going to be a deal breaker. Especially considering the state the timepiece comes back to you. (You can hardly tell it's not brand new)
Peter

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Any other watch fans on here? - part 2

Post by HaiderGill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 pm

In my old job, graduate intake would buy a Rolex. We would shake our head and say 'yoof of today'. That means they are fresh of the boat, bit wet behind the ears. The more senior people would have a better understanding of these things, not horologists but more acquainted. Granted it was a trading floor in an investment bank. I suppose it comes down to your bubble.

The reverence to Rolex in here harks back to my childhood, in the early 80 people used to 'It's a Ghia that' and if you had Ford Granada Ghia, it was oooooh but BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, RR, Bentley etc all existed.

JohnKimble
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by JohnKimble » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:46 pm

HaiderGill wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:32 pm
The reverence to Rolex in here harks back to my childhood, in the early 80 people used to 'It's a Ghia that' and if you had Ford Granada Ghia, it was oooooh but BMW, Mercedes, Jaguar, RR, Bentley etc all existed.
As long as you enjoy it I don't really see the problem. Personally I buy a half decent watch because I enjoy it, not for what anyone else thinks. Yes the Rolls Royces of the watch world exist but a Vacheron Constantin etc is an order of magnitude more expensive and an entirely different proposition.

A Granada Ghia in the mid 80s was a great car for the vast majority of people. Same applies for a Rolex. To poo poo it for what its not seems a bit snobbish tbh.
F20 M140i Shadow manual
Was - E81 130i

HaiderGill
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HaiderGill » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:03 pm

Rolex is good watch but it's not a special watch. An Omega Seamaster or a Speedmaster is just as good. It's (Rolex) not better watch it's just different, that's nothing to do with snobbery just like the BMW's timing chains are no better than a Skoda's

Return to “General Chit Chat (Off Topic)”