123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Welcome to ecotune, home of the economy and performance remap. At ecotune we specialise in performance and economy upgrades for cars and commercial vehicles.

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196, ecotuneuk

strixas
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:25 am

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by strixas » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Bought twin plunger pump what u do with long m6 bolt? Is no thread in new pump

User avatar
typergaz
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 am

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by typergaz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:19 pm

I personally drilled and tapped the cp4.2 pump to accept the bolt but others i know have just left it out

E82 123d 338bhp 485ftlbs Ecotune stage3 Now sold :(


E82 123d @ 338bhp 485ftlbs Ecotune Stage3 :twisted:

strixas
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:25 am

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by strixas » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:18 pm

typergaz wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:19 pm
I personally drilled and tapped the cp4.2 pump to accept the bolt but others i know have just left it out

E82 123d 338bhp 485ftlbs Ecotune stage3 Now sold :(

Thanks :)

andrewuk1990
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by andrewuk1990 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:09 pm

I've got my car booked in to have the pump and rail fitted, manifold cleaned and swirl flaps removed at Darren Woods in Stockport next week.

Booked in for a remap at RS Tuning in Leeds by Paul start of May (kindly recommended to me by Jason at BWChiptune).

Stock my car put out 208bhp on their dyno this morning so all seems healthy. Hoping to hit 300bhp and 420+ lbft with the mods, already have the other bits needed.

Does anyone know what sort of boost is required on the big turbo for 300+bhp? Is it around 2.7bar? Was thinking this sounds quite high if it is!

User avatar
typergaz
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 am

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by typergaz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Mine made 298.9 @2.6 bar thats with stock hpfp just a external regulator to increase the hpfp internal pressure and to keep the pressure in the pump a bit longer before it dumps it back to tank. Best thing to do with these is the cp4.2 pump

E82 123d 338bhp 485ftlbs Ecotune stage3 Now sold :(

Now 2016 mk7 golf gtd.......

E82 123d @ 338bhp 485ftlbs Ecotune Stage3 :twisted:

User avatar
typergaz
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 am

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by typergaz » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:32 pm

My old 123d was boosting @ 2.9 bar for the 338 bhp anymore boost and it lost power even though the turbos can handle 3.2 bar they physically cant flow enough air volume at that pressure

E82 123d 338bhp 485ftlbs Ecotune stage3 Now sold :(

Now 2016 mk7 golf gtd.......

E82 123d @ 338bhp 485ftlbs Ecotune Stage3 :twisted:

User avatar
Adie123d
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by Adie123d » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Fitted the CP4.2 pump on the weekend,
Here's a few pictures of the job.
Image
I bought a 2016 model CP4.2 pump on Ebay woth only 6000 miles on it but has one outlet facing the opposite direction, This worked out very well though as there is nothing in the way on the rearward facing outlet plus it means you don't have to move the glow plug control unit out the way like you do with the model which has both outlets facing forward.
Image
I also bought the two fuel lines that come with this pump, one is a direct fit and the other I bent so that it is routed under the inlet manifold and looks tidy. Image
I also bought two fuel rails the same as standard fit and had them cut and welded. Image
Image
By using the same 4 cylinder rail all the standard rail to injector pipes are reused plus it sticks out far less from the front of the rocker cover than the 6 cylinder one. Image
I bought another EGR pipe too, so that I could have it capped and ready to 'beat up' when the operation commenced. The egr is electronically deleted but I had the intake end welded just incase it didn't seat properly in the head... but it did and now it doesn't protrude into the throttle passage either to cause any obstruction to the intake air.
Image
All done, No leaks and the cover fits fine
Image

Don't forget to get a pump removal tool.
E81 M-sport 123D 305bhp 455lbft Ecotune stage2++ Core2 IC. sports cat DP. M3 Lca's, top pin mod. Powerflex Black sub inserts. Goodridge hoses, DS2500 pads.Redline MTL. Cdv- swirlFlaps-

jgalea324
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1636
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:15 pm
Location: Malta

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by jgalea324 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Adie123d wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:28 pm
Fitted the CP4.2 pump on the weekend,
Here's a few pictures of the job.
Image
I bought a 2016 model CP4.2 pump on Ebay woth only 6000 miles on it but has one outlet facing the opposite direction, This worked out very well though as there is nothing in the way on the rearward facing outlet plus it means you don't have to move the glow plug control unit out the way like you do with the model which has both outlets facing forward.
Image
I also bought the two fuel lines that come with this pump, one is a direct fit and the other I bent so that it is routed under the inlet manifold and looks tidy. Image
I also bought two fuel rails the same as standard fit and had them cut and welded. Image
Image
By using the same 4 cylinder rail all the standard rail to injector pipes are reused plus it sticks out far less from the front of the rocker cover than the 6 cylinder one. Image
I bought another EGR pipe too, so that I could have it capped and ready to 'beat up' when the operation commenced. The egr is electronically deleted but I had the intake end welded just incase it didn't seat properly in the head... but it did and now it doesn't protrude into the throttle passage either to cause any obstruction to the intake air.
Image
All done, No leaks and the cover fits fine
Image

Don't forget to get a pump removal tool.
Super write-up! Many thanks for this :) who did your stage 3 remap? Or has it not been done yet?
2010 E87 123d Msport - BMWP Body Kit, Front E9x M3 LCAs, Powerflex rear inserts, E81 chassis brace, Brembo brakes, 280 bhp/480nm torque (BMWP IC/DPF Delete) - viewtopic.php?f=19&t=70528


Image

holendru
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by holendru » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Verry good write up...!!!
Got my parts laying around still no time for mounting.
Did you take the air out of the lines before starting the engine?
What are the results..??? :roll:

User avatar
Adie123d
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by Adie123d » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:54 pm

It's booked in with Ecotune at the end of may to get remapped stage2+ for the new mods
So I'll post results when it's done.

And when it got it all kind of back together I just let it build up some fuel pressure with the ignition switched on, then cranked it for about 10 seconds and it started.
Was well happy as it was 1am in the morning and I was goosed.
It's running fine though So looks like I did an okay job with no leaks etc
Can't wait for the dyno time now
E81 M-sport 123D 305bhp 455lbft Ecotune stage2++ Core2 IC. sports cat DP. M3 Lca's, top pin mod. Powerflex Black sub inserts. Goodridge hoses, DS2500 pads.Redline MTL. Cdv- swirlFlaps-

User avatar
typergaz
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 am

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by typergaz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am

Adie123d wrote:It's booked in with Ecotune at the end of may to get remapped stage2+ for the new mods
So I'll post results when it's done.

And when it got it all kind of back together I just let it build up some fuel pressure with the ignition switched on, then cranked it for about 10 seconds and it started.
Was well happy as it was 1am in the morning and I was goosed.
It's running fine though So looks like I did an okay job with no leaks etc
Can't wait for the dyno time now
Have you checked your fuel pressure because all you need is going to ecotune and your fuel pressure is like this blue line is requested rail pressure and green is actual pressure. Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

E82 123d @ 338bhp 485ftlbs Ecotune Stage3 :twisted:

andrewuk1990
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by andrewuk1990 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:08 pm

typergaz wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am
Adie123d wrote:It's booked in with Ecotune at the end of may to get remapped stage2+ for the new mods
So I'll post results when it's done.

And when it got it all kind of back together I just let it build up some fuel pressure with the ignition switched on, then cranked it for about 10 seconds and it started.
Was well happy as it was 1am in the morning and I was goosed.
It's running fine though So looks like I did an okay job with no leaks etc
Can't wait for the dyno time now
Have you checked your fuel pressure because all you need is going to ecotune and your fuel pressure is like this blue line is requested rail pressure and green is actual pressure. Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Gaz please can you shed some light on why that graph is like that? I presume we would actually want the provided pressure to very closely match the requested, ie. Not like the graph!

Good write up and Pictures btw Adie! I have also just had mine fitted (by Mike123d at Darren Woods). He had the 6Cy rail cut, welded and fitted it for me complete with a set of fuel pipes bent as required. The pump I have has both nossles facing the same direction but this didn't seem to cause any problems on installation. He also blanked my EGR valve and I have had it mapped out electronically to boot.

https://goo.gl/photos/idywPK2E2fYCRL7EA

It runs perfectly just as it did before the mods, all I am waiting for now is what RS Tuning in Leeds can achieve on 9th May when it goes in for a custom remap.

User avatar
typergaz
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 498
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:33 am

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by typergaz » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:35 pm

andrewuk1990 wrote:
typergaz wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:17 am
Adie123d wrote:It's booked in with Ecotune at the end of may to get remapped stage2+ for the new mods
So I'll post results when it's done.

And when it got it all kind of back together I just let it build up some fuel pressure with the ignition switched on, then cranked it for about 10 seconds and it started.
Was well happy as it was 1am in the morning and I was goosed.
It's running fine though So looks like I did an okay job with no leaks etc
Can't wait for the dyno time now
Have you checked your fuel pressure because all you need is going to ecotune and your fuel pressure is like this blue line is requested rail pressure and green is actual pressure. Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Gaz please can you shed some light on why that graph is like that? I presume we would actually want the provided pressure to very closely match the requested, ie. Not like the graph!

Good write up and Pictures btw Adie! I have also just had mine fitted (by Mike123d at Darren Woods). He had the 6Cy rail cut, welded and fitted it for me complete with a set of fuel pipes bent as required. The pump I have has both nossles facing the same direction but this didn't seem to cause any problems on installation. He also blanked my EGR valve and I have had it mapped out electronically to boot.

https://goo.gl/photos/idywPK2E2fYCRL7EA

It runs perfectly just as it did before the mods, all I am waiting for now is what RS Tuning in Leeds can achieve on 9th May when it goes in for a custom remap.
The car will run perfectly with the fuel pressure all over the place if its only at stage 1 or stock!!, it would struggle to supply enough fuel like that if it was at stage2+ like i was at before the cp4.2 install. I for one nearly gave up on the 4.2 because it was worse at first than the modded 4.1 for fuel. If you do get fuel pressure fluctuations like that first thing to do is using DIS or similar perform a full fuel system bleed procedure. (This should be done before the initial start because turning the fuel pump without fuel in can cause premature internal wear because the diesel is the lubrication for the pump) Bleed procedure takes around 10-15 mins then you need to run a fuel pressure regulator adaption. Once they are done in that order the fuel system should be all good and hold 2000 bar solid

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

E82 123d @ 338bhp 485ftlbs Ecotune Stage3 :twisted:

andrewuk1990
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by andrewuk1990 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:09 pm

Cheers Gaz. Appreciate the advice.

I ran a quick check this morning with Torque Pro graphing fuel rail pressure at WOT through 3rd and 4th gear. It seemed to build to 2k bar quickly and held it there perfectly stable so should be good to go fingers crossed.

andrewuk1990
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Re: 123d Intercooler & Fuel Pump Upgrade!!!

Post by andrewuk1990 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:41 pm

My car went to RS Tuning in Leeds on Wednesday and achieved a genuine 290bhp & 435ftlb! This was on stock turbos and V-power diesel which I believe may reduce power slightly due to addition of cleaning additives etc. The turbos seemed to hit maximum air flow at a pressure of 2.4 bar, beyond which there was no advantage. No meth or water injection used to achieve the above so good for everyday workhorse use and track blasting which is exactly what I was after. The fuel pressure held nicely as requested by ECU so props to Mike123d for fitting the pump & rail for me as well.

Still having some trouble mapping out the EGR valve completely but Paul at RS hopes to have that sorted by next week. Other than that there's been no problems and it seems happy to pull with no clutch slip (yet)!

Have to mention Jason at BW Chiptune for referring me to Paul at RS Tuning in Leeds, I would happily recommend either tuner to anyone else looking for a good quality remap.

For anyone interested, the original Stage 2 map shown in red on the below graph was done by Elite Remaps in Leeds and it was a simple ECU remap on stock hardware. Their claimed BHP was 255-270... Not surprisingly it achieved less, 248bhp.

Image

Post Reply

Return to “Ecotune”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest