'Reborn Carbon' eBay spoiler and mirror caps install

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

M--O--L--E
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

'Reborn Carbon' eBay spoiler and mirror caps install

Post by M--O--L--E » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:30 am

Help needed. I've searched the forums and only dug up guides on the official M Performance bits.

I ordered a 'genuine' Carbon spoiler off eBay (Reborn Carbon) and it's just arrived today. But what's the best way to fit it? Most people say 3M sticky tape but I have my doubts doing anything above 70mph; don't want £165 worth of plastic, ahem Carbon, flying off and going through someone's windscreen.

Also the mirror caps don't have any clips or screw holes, how the hell are they fixed in place? Again there's DIYs on the official BMW parts but they have screw holes to mount it on.

There was no tape/pads in the packaging btw.

I've attached photos below of the rears of both the spoiler and mirror caps.

Any help appreciated!
Instagram: mole51. M135i 3dr 64-plate Mineral Grey Metallic, Coral Red leather, Auto, Nav Pro, H/K, Heated seats, Tinted rear glass, Ambient lighting.

kylemacca01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: 'Reborn Carbon' eBay spoiler and mirror caps install

Post by kylemacca01 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:38 am

I stuck my spoiler on with evo stick seriously strong stuff. Its more flush than tape and a lot more solid.

The mirrors look like the stick over type rather than the direct replacement.

chester
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chester » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:22 pm

I've used this in the past and its spot on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Beta-link- ... SwB09YCP8O

Be interested to see pics of the spoiler fitted and how good the fitment is as its the only one I've seen that looks decent.

The mirror caps as said go over the existing and not replacements.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

Scottish69

Post by Scottish69 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:28 pm

I've ordered the M4 like caps and the larger 3d spoiler from the same (reborn) place on ebay.

I hope they aren't stick over caps as ill be sending it back - thought they were "replacement"! FFS.

Ill be watching this thread to see how you fit your spoiler - looks like the smaller one they do?

M--O--L--E
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by M--O--L--E » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Scottish69 wrote:I've ordered the M4 like caps and the larger 3d spoiler from the same (reborn) place on ebay.

I hope they aren't stick over caps as ill be sending it back - thought they were "replacement"! FFS.

Ill be watching this thread to see how you fit your spoiler - looks like the smaller one they do?
Ironically I ordered the AC Shchnitzer version, but he sent the larger 3D one (not the small lip one either). To be honest I'm quite pleased with the 3D, it's much bigger than it looks on pictures.

Yeah I thought the mirror caps were replacements too, will upload a pic once on.
Instagram: mole51. M135i 3dr 64-plate Mineral Grey Metallic, Coral Red leather, Auto, Nav Pro, H/K, Heated seats, Tinted rear glass, Ambient lighting.

M--O--L--E
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by M--O--L--E » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:33 pm

chester wrote:I've used this in the past and its spot on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Beta-link- ... SwB09YCP8O

Be interested to see pics of the spoiler fitted and how good the fitment is as its the only one I've seen that looks decent.

My only concern on that stuff is how hard is it to take off and does it ruin the paint underneath?

I'm not 100% sold on the carbon finish and may want to take the spoiler off in the future to replace with gloss black.

I've just bought this stuff along with some meth spirit from Robot Dies (got ID'd for the spirit wtf Image), do you reckon that'll be strong enough, and again will it ruin the paint underneath?

Scottish69

Post by Scottish69 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:34 pm

You can always return them i think, its a return address in the UK i believe. There are some other proper ones on for £115.

M--O--L--E
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by M--O--L--E » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:36 pm

Scottish69 wrote:You can always return them i think, its a return address in the UK i believe. There are some other proper ones on for £115.
To be fair these were only £45, I've just practice aligned them and they do fit on top quite well and don't look too tacky with no silver visible underneath. Will post a pic when fitted.

GeoffCollins
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeoffCollins » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:54 pm

Intrigued to see fitment, maybe put a link to the spoiler? :)
M135i (2014 Manual)
Nissan Skyline R33 GTST (1995) - Now sold :(

Wheelwell Profile - https://www.wheelwell.com/geoff-collins ... etail_page

M--O--L--E
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by M--O--L--E » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:04 pm

GeoffCollins wrote:Intrigued to see fitment, maybe put a link to the spoiler? :)
The spiller I ordered was this one;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122462017028

The spoiler I received is this one (which looks really chunky and big);

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122462014856

MrPocketRocket

Post by MrPocketRocket » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:10 pm

I've ordered the 3D design spoiler from Reborn too. Will be interested in how your install gets on. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nlrbmw
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by nlrbmw » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:38 pm

Interesting! I've just received my 3D replica spoiler from China. I ordered it directly through ali-express and was here in 10 days. Wasn't a fan of the Ida of the carbon fibre, but suits the MG really well and matches the MPE tips! Fitment very good and sticks well with 3M tape

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M140i MPE JB4 QLSD

Nebuchadnezzar

Post by Nebuchadnezzar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:10 pm

I'm waiting for the 3D Design style spoiler and the £45 mirror caps too. Ebay is showing them as delivered but they haven't turned up yet. I too will be disappointed if the mirror caps are just stuck on covers, they'll be going back with a recommendation that Reborn changes their description of the product? I just hope the spoiler is of decent quality as I've been putting off fitting the Kerscher carbon splitter and black kidney grilles until everything arrives?
M140i 5dr MG/Coral hex/gloss black, auto, adaptive, HK, sun-pro glass, heated seats/steering wheel, lumbar support, dimming r-view mirror, rev camera, f&r sensors, illuminated sills, 3dr under brace, Carbon splitter, carbon mirror caps&spoiler

M--O--L--E
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by M--O--L--E » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Cheers guys for the replies.

I've now got both UniBond no more nails tape and also a bottle of Tiger Seal, which would 1) work best at sticking on the big spoiler and 2) be the easiest to remove?

I'm concerned about removal as I would want to remove this spoiler before selling the car in the future.

SkyJawa
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SkyJawa » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:14 pm

chester wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:22 pm
I've used this in the past and its spot on http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Beta-link- ... SwB09YCP8O

Don't use that stuff if you want to take it back off easily again! Its what BMW use to apply M Performance splitters. This is what happens when you take it off again:

"◦If you had a previous lip attached by a dealer, most likely, they will have used beta-link to attach the Lip to the bumper. Its nasty stuff, that’s almost impossible to take off. Use a plastic trim tool to carefully remove the old glue, being careful not to scratch the bumper, but try to take off as much as possible. You’ll want a clean, smooth bumper to allow the double-sided tape to adhere properly to the surface of the bumper’s apron. Use of Goo Gone and 70% Isopropyl Alcohol is also useful to clean area of old glue, tape residue, and any/all other debris that could interfere with the double-sided tape you will be applying here. "

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”