Adaptive LED headlights

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

d121710
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Adaptive LED headlights

Post by d121710 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:32 am

I have been looking at any final options I may want to add to my order before it is locked. Does anybody know if what the online configuration says about having the hexagonal full LED design (like LCI 2 series) is correct? If so I quite like that design so may add it. The video also explains how the adaptive element of the headlight works which seems quite good, has anyone got these on their LCI2 1 series?

Thanks!!
M140i Shadow Edition 5dr Auto - Estoril Blue, Pro Nav, Heated Seats, Adaptive Susp, Speed Limit Disp, Folding Ext Mirrors, Heated Steering Wheel

d121710
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Adaptive LED headlights

Post by d121710 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:55 am

Sorry meant to say (when I said adaptive element) than rather than the high beam assist switching off and back on, it separates the light dependant on the traffic situation (some tunnel effect), does this apply to the 1 series?

Thanks
M140i Shadow Edition 5dr Auto - Estoril Blue, Pro Nav, Heated Seats, Adaptive Susp, Speed Limit Disp, Folding Ext Mirrors, Heated Steering Wheel

McTrucky
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by McTrucky » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:40 am

My previous to lci2, 2017 model has adaptive. Seems to move each light around independent from the other, auto dips, widens or extends the beam depending on speed etc. Personally, not sure it is worth the extra cost.

Gimbal
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gimbal » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:47 am

But is it more light as in more Watt/more LEDS compared to non adaptive?

SkyJawa
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SkyJawa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:23 am

Unless it's changed on the lci 2 the 1er does not have the full beam splitting voodoo lights it's 2er and up only. Turning round corners is all the benefit you get iirc, not worth the cost over standard led.

Timewarp
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Timewarp » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:36 am

Adaptive leds turn the light direction with corners and also adjusts to speed.

Eg. At 30mph the beam is more spread, where at faster speeds you can see more into the distance.

High beam assist simply disables high beam when other cars are about or if there is adequate lighting already from street lights, etc. No voodoo unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

m140i... arrived!

Black / Black / Auto / Ad Sus / HK / Comfort Package / Sun Pro / Pro-Nav / Seat & Wheel Heating / Comfort Access / Rev Cam / Folding Mirrors / Mem Seats / T Load / Adaptive LEDs / HB Assist / Park Assist

Gimbal
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Gimbal » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:03 am

Are all four front lenses in use with adaptive lights?
My non adaptive only ever use two of the front lenses. The two other are empty I guess, I wonder if one could fit more LEDs in the empty lenses with some aftermarket product... :chin:

d121710
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by d121710 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:58 am

Thanks guys, looks like I'll stick with the standard LED's and save the money!! Shame they haven't brought it to the 1 as it looks quite a clever piece of kit!

Paul CS
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Paul CS » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:30 am

I had Adaptive on my last M140i and have ordered it on my M140i Shadow. If you drive on country roads it's absolutely fantastic.

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:40 am

The full "voodoo" lights were an option on the pre LCI 2 Series that had Xenon lights but I think the 1 Series lost that when the first LCI came along in ~2015 with the different headlight design and they went LED. Now that the 2 Series has gone LED I think they've also lost the "voodoo" beam splitting element of the adaptive package which is a shame because the few times I've used it since March it's really clever and lights up the sides of the road much better when following a car than normal split beam would

Crazy_Raesy

Post by Crazy_Raesy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Locoblade wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:40 am
The full "voodoo" lights were an option on the pre LCI 2 Series that had Xenon lights but I think the 1 Series lost that when the first LCI came along in ~2015 with the different headlight design and they went LED. Now that the 2 Series has gone LED I think they've also lost the "voodoo" beam splitting element of the adaptive package which is a shame because the few times I've used it since March it's really clever and lights up the sides of the road much better when following a car than normal split beam would
The adaptive LED lights with HBA on the LCI2 does have this voodoo effect. Both lights work independent of each other and will split around incoming traffic etc as well as all the other features such as a wider beam at 30 and narrower beam at say 70.

Crazy_Raesy

Post by Crazy_Raesy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:38 pm

Locoblade wrote:
Hopefully an owner of one can confirm as mine hasn't arrived yet, however the configurator online would suggest that the adaptive led lights with high beam assist on the M140 LCI2 have this feature.

SkyJawa
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SkyJawa » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Disagree with the above. Adaptive description on the 1er is:

"BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights with new hexagonal light design and full LED technology. Includes integrated LED turn indicators, low and high beam, as well as daytime running lights, cornering lights for safety and optimal illumination of the road. They generate a bright light resembling daylight and consume less energy than conventional light systems. The elongated LED front indicators have a dynamic feel and are positioned to the sides of the characteristic LED corona rings in the daytime running lights. High-beam Assistant and Adaptive Headlights with automatic height adjustment for driving in the city, on country roads or motorways in the dark provide significant improvements in visibility – for safe and relaxed driving, almost like during the day."

Whereas on the 3er it's:

"BMW Icon Adaptive LED Headlights are characterized by light distribution that automatically adjusts to the driving speed, dynamically illuminating the road ahead. In addition to indicators and daytime running lights, it includes the Adaptive Headlight function with variable city and motorway light distribution, cornering lights, as well as BMW Selective Beam (anti-dazzle high-beam assistant), which automatically switches between the low and high-beam lights. That allows the system to offer optimal road illumination under all conditions. In the dark, the moveable headlights allow the driver to see far into curves as soon as the wheel is turned. To improve short-range visibility, the cornering lights are automatically activated as soon as the turn indicator is switched on or the steering wheel is turned – even when the vehicle is at a standstill. The Adaptive Headlights ensure optimum illumination on the road, significantly increasing active safety. BMW Selective Beam allows the driver to leave the high-beams on whenever they are needed, facilitating optimal visual conditions at night. The system monitors the presence of vehicles in front or oncoming traffic and adjusts the high-beam lights to avoid dazzling other road users."

The latter specifically mentions the voodoo, so the 1er does not have it. Our Octavia has bendy lights and change of spread pattern and it's not better than my standard led m140, so without the voodoo (which I had on my 330d) it's a very expensive option with little gain.

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:43 pm

SkyJawa's description above is the same for the 2 Series LCI and I agree with him that the voodoo element isn't mentioned, it just says adaptive adjusts and HBA height and width of beam automatically based on speed etc, not intelligently wrapping round based on cars in front etc. However if you watch the video within the option description (which features a 3 series) it does show full voodoo effects so hopefully for you LCI guys the video is correct.

Crazy_Raesy wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:34 pm
Locoblade wrote:
The adaptive LED lights with HBA on the LCI2 does have this voodoo effect. Both lights work independent of each other and will split around incoming traffic etc as well as all the other features such as a wider beam at 30 and narrower beam at say 70.

Glund91
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Glund91 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:56 pm

Other than functionality do the adaptive lights look different to the standard?

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”