What would you do? Modify/m2/m2cs

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

D4vec
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: What would you do? Modify/m2/m2cs

Post by D4vec » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Diff, if I go down the bmw route is £2200 fitted, I would expect around £1000 back if I ever returned to standard.

Wheels, really is a how longs a piece of string but I would expect around £2000, with £1000 return.

Exhaust, with sports cat around £1800, with about £800 return.

Suspension and brakes I haven’t done any form of research at all.
M140i Melbourne Red-Coral, comfort + front pdc, media, Harmon Kardon, heated s wheel, heated seats, folding mirrors, hi-beam assist, smokers pack, speed limit display, adaptive suspension, sunroof, reverse camera, sun protection. Empty Bank.

DaleB90
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by DaleB90 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm

The M2 is definitely a marmite car as some people just don’t understand it. For me it’s a fun car that goes out on weekend blasts but can still do the odd mundane run. It has a lot of presence and draws quite a bit of attention.

My m135 was pretty well modified and had a fair list of chassis improvements too. It still doesn’t stack up to the oem chassis on the M2. I’m looking forward to modding the M2 to take that even further.
M2 LCI DCT

M135i 8AT - almost gone

Blind Pugh
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Blind Pugh » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:48 pm

DaleB90 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:39 pm
The M2 is definitely a marmite car as some people just don’t understand it. For me it’s a fun car that goes out on weekend blasts but can still do the odd mundane run. It has a lot of presence and draws quite a bit of attention.

My m135 was pretty well modified and had a fair list of chassis improvements too. It still doesn’t stack up to the oem chassis on the M2. I’m looking forward to modding the M2 to take that even further.
Agree 100%

Well put DB90 - from another m2 owner following on after a well-fettled m135i.....:thumbs:

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:06 pm

binocular wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 pm
Bit off topic but Interesting that you’ve managed to mod your E82 so successfully. How did you find the 1M? In what way was it lacking in your opinion? Just asking... it’s a car I’ve always coveted.
Its easier to say what a standard 135i is lacking over the 1M - the biggest difference is in chassis feedback, the 1M feels alive and is communicating with you even after the first 200 yards where the standard car just feels a bit dull.
It also feels a lot sharper and handles like a proper car should where a standard 135 is a bit uncontrolled and loves the understeer - this is down to different geometry and the LSD has a big part to play in it as well, the 1M throttle map and extra power makes for more smiles too.

Ive gone further and put on better suspension, messed with the geo to suit what I like, had the car cornerweighted and of course added power, mine is now well over 400hp and 500lb/ft. It has all of the feedback and enjoyment of the 1M but is ultimately faster and more capable.

Admittedly a lot of what Ive done you could do to a 1M as well but the point is that Ive got a car Id take 99 times out of a 100 over one and a chunk of cash in my pocket too, I cant see why you couldnt do it with an M2 as well ........ sure, everyone looking at it would know it wasnt but Im a function over form man every time :)

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm

wenklaw wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:59 pm
People want different things from cars, personally I think giving advice to someone to modify a NEW M140i isn't the best, its money down the pan
if I felt the need to modify a car past a remap and maybe exhaust to the tune of 4 or 5k I would just look at something else.
But the point is £4 or 5K wont buy you the "something else" you want, youre looking at more like £15K.

Man maths as it maybe, but taking into account resale value, a diff is £1000, dampers are £1000, F8* arms and ARBs are probably another £1K and a remap is maybe £600 - add another £1K for fitting and geometry and OK, its not the M car you wanted but youre a damn sight closer to an M2 and youve still got more than £10K left in your pocket, if you can live with a 1 year old car youve got £20K left in your pocket.

Yes it wont look like an M2 and the girls wont come running after you as you drive up the street but you can console yourself with all of your extra money :lol:

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:00 am

docwra wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:16 pm
wenklaw wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:59 pm
People want different things from cars, personally I think giving advice to someone to modify a NEW M140i isn't the best, its money down the pan
if I felt the need to modify a car past a remap and maybe exhaust to the tune of 4 or 5k I would just look at something else.
But the point is £4 or 5K wont buy you the "something else" you want, youre looking at more like £15K.

Man maths as it maybe, but taking into account resale value, a diff is £1000, dampers are £1000, F8* arms and ARBs are probably another £1K and a remap is maybe £600 - add another £1K for fitting and geometry and OK, its not the M car you wanted but youre a damn sight closer to an M2 and youve still got more than £10K left in your pocket, if you can live with a 1 year old car youve got £20K left in your pocket.

Yes it wont look like an M2 and the girls wont come running after you as you drive up the street but you can console yourself with all of your extra money :lol:
The point is simple modding is for some and not for others. It has its positives and it’s negatives. You obviously have spent a great deal of time and money on yours and I admire people like yourself who do that sort of thing. And that’s one of the downsides to me, time and effort.

D4vec
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by D4vec » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:41 pm

I’ve been thinking and I’ve decided to go for the diff first, I think it will make a huge improvement to what I’ve got.

I’m not completely ruling out the m2 yet, but I am for the foreseeable future until it’s clearer what the cs will be/cost. I have ruled out buying a weekend toy though, for what I could buy for £5k (plus storage, tax and insurance costs) I think the money would be better spent on the m140i.

The extra that I would be paying monthly for the m2 I’m putting to one side and can be a deposit for an m2 at a later date if needed.

Thanks for everyone’s input, it really has helped.
M140i Melbourne Red-Coral, comfort + front pdc, media, Harmon Kardon, heated s wheel, heated seats, folding mirrors, hi-beam assist, smokers pack, speed limit display, adaptive suspension, sunroof, reverse camera, sun protection. Empty Bank.

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:45 pm

D4vec wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:41 pm
I’ve been thinking and I’ve decided to go for the diff first, I think it will make a huge improvement to what I’ve got.

The extra that I would be paying monthly for the m2 I’m putting to one side and can be a deposit for an m2 at a later date if needed.

Thanks for everyone’s input, it really has helped.
Dave

Good choice to start with diff - enjoy !

Great man-maths logic too for future car purchases !

BP

mouse140i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by mouse140i » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:46 pm

LSD makes a massive difference and probably all the car needs for most people and most situations. Enjoy!

Bmw_ire_2012
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Bmw_ire_2012 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Take a look at this bad boy, I think this M2 looks great with a wide body.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paTwe7aPZyc
M240i Loaded With Options & M Performance Parts. Jb4 / Led M Performance Wheel / Bcs Full System - Sports Cat / BMW M Performance 624 Wheels :evil:

D4vec
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by D4vec » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:30 pm

Bp it’s man maths that created the fun budget in the first place lol

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”