Reversed into the front of my M135i - opinion on damage

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster

robmoon

Reversed into the front of my M135i - opinion on damage

Post by robmoon » Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Some kind soul decided to reverse into my stationary car at a petrol station yesterday. Ruined the tyre (big gash down the side - went flat within 10 seconds), scuffed/scraped the front left part of the front bumper and dinged the wheel arch panel. It's currently with BMW after emergency assistance dropped it off this morning. The lady admitted liability immediately and a lovely chap fuelling his car (in a nice RS I might add) watched the entire thing so he offered me his details.

Just out of interest, any idea what kind of repair and costs are involved here? Presumably it's going to be a new tyre, bumper respray/smart repair and whatever is involved to sort the ding out above the arch. I'm 99% sure there is no damage to the wheel or headlight (as my hazards were working fine). Pictures below:

Lady wants to go down the non-insurance route which is all well and good, especially since I would rather not suffer an increased premium due to a non-fault claim. However, I think her attitude may change when a daft repair bill from BMW lands at her door.

Any ideas?
2015 M135i LCI Estoril Blue Auto: Adaptive M Suspension, Pro Media Package, Heated Seats, PDC, Storage Package, Remote & Concierge Services

alexyyyy

Re: Reversed into the front of my M135i - opinion on damage

Post by alexyyyy » Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Not sure on the repair costs but go through your insurance its not worth getting your pollicy cancelled imo.

Sonic1506
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Sonic1506 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 pm

robmoon wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm
I would rather not suffer an increased premium due to a non-fault claim.
Not all non faults increase your policy. I have two non faults and when I had my 1 Series, my renewals did not increase due to non fault accidents.

robmoon

Post by robmoon » Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm

alexyyyy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:19 pm
Not sure on the repair costs but go through your insurance its not worth getting your pollicy cancelled imo.
I've already spoken to my insurer and registered a claim. They are happy for the cost to be covered privately, rather than reclaiming the money back from her insurer, as long as the repair is up to the right standard - which it should be as it's going through BMW directly. The claim is currently on hold until I confirm whether she is willing to pay privately. If not - i.e. she can't afford it or refuses, then I can proceed with the claim as normal.

Enterprise dropping a hire car off shortly (through BMW emergency assistance) - interested to know what turns up!
Sonic1506 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:21 pm
Not all non faults increase your policy. I have two non faults and when I had my 1 Series, my renewals did not increase due to non fault accidents.
Interesting - thanks for putting my mind at ease. I've read quite a few horror stories about it going up, simply because some insurers still view you as higher risk and more likely to now be in a fault claim within the next 3 years.
2015 M135i LCI Estoril Blue Auto: Adaptive M Suspension, Pro Media Package, Heated Seats, PDC, Storage Package, Remote & Concierge Services

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x » Wed May 16, 2018 3:52 pm

robmoon wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:27 pm

I've already spoken to my insurer and registered a claim. They are happy for the cost to be covered privately, rather than reclaiming the money back from her insurer, as long as the repair is up to the right standard - which it should be as it's going through BMW directly. The claim is currently on hold until I confirm whether she is willing to pay privately. If not - i.e. she can't afford it or refuses, then I can proceed with the claim as normal.

Enterprise dropping a hire car off shortly (through BMW emergency assistance) - interested to know what turns up!

There is no way she is settling this privately if the repairs are going through BMW. It's going to cost her a fortune for the repair and her insurance have been/will be notified of the incident anyway. You might as well get the ball rolling with your insurance, but of course let her know your intentions.

Have you gotten a quote yet?

I have a scrape to my bumper and BMW want £1100 (repair the bumper) - £1400 (replacement bumper).

Two weeks on and I am still waiting for insurance to approve the repairs.

My courtesy car is also coming from Enterprise and I have a choice of:

BMW 440i
Mercedes SL (not sure which one)
Mercedes E350
Porsche 718 Boxster

robmoon

Post by robmoon » Wed May 16, 2018 4:06 pm

HN1989x wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:52 pm
There is no way she is settling this privately if the repairs are going through BMW. It's going to cost her a fortune for the repair and her insurance have been/will be notified of the incident anyway. You might as well get the ball rolling with your insurance, but of course let her know your intentions.

Have you gotten a quote yet?

I have a scrape to my bumper and BMW want £1100 (repair the bumper) - £1400 (replacement bumper).

Two weeks on and I am still waiting for insurance to approve the repairs.

My courtesy car is also coming from Enterprise and I have a choice of:

BMW 440i
Mercedes SL (not sure which one)
Mercedes E350
Porsche 718 Boxster
Not seen a quote yet, BMW said an estimate will be ready today or tomorrow at the latest. I'm not in a hurry to get the car back as I've got a hire car for two days enabling me to get to the office this week. I can work from home Mon + Tues next week and then i'm out of the country for the remainder, so it gives them over a week to sort the repair.

How come you're still waiting? I'm guessing since your car is still usable it's not as high of a priority?

I suspect your right. It's not just a bit of paint and a new ditchfinder - add on BMW labour and it's going to get expensive. I've already started the ball rolling with my insurance, it's just on hold until I have an estimate back and have the dreaded conversation with her. I want it to go through BMW simply because I want it done right and don't want to invalidate my warranty - which makes sense right?

Great list of cars! I wasn't offered a choice, just that it's part of the 'premium' category which is meant to be like for like. I'm guessing it'll just turn out to be a 116i or something similar.

HN1989x
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by HN1989x » Wed May 16, 2018 4:25 pm

robmoon wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:06 pm
Not seen a quote yet, BMW said an estimate will be ready today or tomorrow at the latest. I'm not in a hurry to get the car back as I've got a hire car for two days enabling me to get to the office this week. I can work from home Mon + Tues next week and then i'm out of the country for the remainder, so it gives them over a week to sort the repair.

How come you're still waiting? I'm guessing since your car is still usable it's not as high of a priority?

I suspect your right. It's not just a bit of paint and a new ditchfinder - add on BMW labour and it's going to get expensive. I've already started the ball rolling with my insurance, it's just on hold until I have an estimate back and have the dreaded conversation with her. I want it to go through BMW simply because I want it done right and don't want to invalidate my warranty - which makes sense right?

Great list of cars! I wasn't offered a choice, just that it's part of the 'premium' category which is meant to be like for like. I'm guessing it'll just turn out to be a 116i or something similar.

That's right! The damage isn't as bad as yours.. it was a very low speed collision but because the guy is now denying that he was at fault, his insurance want time to "investigate" even though I've already sent them footage of him driving into me from behind! So make sure you keep the witness' details handy as your claim could go the exact same way!

Hopefully you will get the quote soon. I emailed BMW (Stephen James) directly and they responded with the quotes within a matter of hours. I agree, I also want BMW to carry out the works as they offer a lifetime guarantee on the paint/repair.

Nice choice of cars but I still prefer my car :)

Blind Pugh

Post by Blind Pugh » Wed May 16, 2018 4:39 pm

I was rear ended by someone who, like you, admitted liability, saw witnesses giving me their details and wanted to go out with their insurer.

When I took my then nearly brand new car to BMW for a quote, they asked me whether or not it was an insurance quote. I said not and got a reasonable proforma quote that I sent to the other party and their coughed up the cash and I booked it in and the car was fixed and I got a loaner from the dealership for the week they had my car.

I quizzed the bodyshop manager about why he asked me about going thru insurance claim. He said for an insurance quote, they provide a series of job activities and parts codes to allow insurers to price up the repair to then decide to OK repair or write off the car.
Fettled M135i EB AT - gone but not forgotten !
AW M2 DCT

robmoon

Post by robmoon » Wed May 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Just had the estimate through... ooooof £2845.90 including VAT.

Parts / Panels Requiring Renewal
L.F WHEEL
L.F RDC SENSOR
L.F TYRE
GRILLE BADGE
L.F WING
L.F SIDE PANEL BADGE
L.F BUMPER INSERT
L.F WING MOUNT

Parts / Panels Requiring Repair
REPAIR FRONT BUMPER

Associated Work Required
CHECK Pre BMW Reset
CHECK Post BMW Reset
CHECK QC and Valet
CHECK Tech. Info
CHECK KDS Alignment

Parts / Panels Requiring Painting
L/F WING NEW PART PAINTING
FRONT BUMPER REPAIR PAINT PLASTIC
LEFT FRONT DOOR SURFACE PAINT

Additional Items

EPA Charge

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Wed May 16, 2018 5:11 pm

I would want a new bumper
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

robmoon

Post by robmoon » Wed May 16, 2018 6:02 pm

Octavius wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:11 pm
Probably going to ask for this to be honest and also query why the wheel needs replacing - it looked fine to me. If it does need to be replaced, I'll request to keep the old one - never know when it might come in handy!

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Wed May 16, 2018 6:06 pm

robmoon wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 6:02 pm
Octavius wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 5:11 pm
Probably going to ask for this to be honest and also query why the wheel needs replacing - it looked fine to me. If it does need to be replaced, I'll request to keep the old one - never know when it might come in handy!
The impact could have weakened the wheel or buckled it.
MY SIGNATURE STOPPED WORKING AFTER AN UPDATE.

Simon Site Manager
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Simon Site Manager » Wed May 16, 2018 7:36 pm

Nearly 3 grand FFS!!!! :-), can't see her coughing up that much. Nice to see it's being done properly tho'.

Tubes
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Tubes » Wed May 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Simon Site Manager wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:36 pm
Nearly 3 grand FFS!!!! :-), can't see her coughing up that much. Nice to see it's being done properly tho'.
The only thing getting done here is the TPs insurers and the rest is us paying inflated premiums. That’s quite frankly disgusting from BMW!

jimBabyBMW
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by jimBabyBMW » Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Jesus Christ. We're a country full of tossers aren't we.

I'd just go to my local bodyshop and get it sorted for a few hundred, new tyre, job done.

Of course BMW will replace everything that's touched.

Stiff her mate, nice one.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”