Car park exit ramp damage, advice please

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

hampshire
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Car park exit ramp damage, advice please

Post by hampshire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:32 am

My local hospital has installed one of those speed ramps with about 8" long metal spikes on it to avoid people going in the wrong way or reversing back.

Drove over it very slowly yesterday for the first time and the noise under the car was shocking, sounded like all the spikes hit in to the bottom of the car.

I checked when I got home and one of the under trays seems to have taken the brunt from the spikes. Its close to the front of the car caused by the wheels going up and over the speed bump they spikes were on.

Spoke to the car park operator who said to send in pictures but I would have to get my insurance company to contact them to look at options, I can see where this will go which is my paying for the damage.

Before I start getting BMW to look at it and the pain of insurance etc, does anyone know what is under this cover and if the damage really matters. The car goes back in 7 months and is a personal lease car, suspect they wouldn't look under it on collection.

The damaged are is about 2" square.

Advice welcomed
1.jpg
1.jpg (201.78 KiB) Viewed 1150 times
2016 - M235i coupe, Sports automatic gearbox, Mineral grey, Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium trim with black finisher, Professional media pack, Comfort pack, Harmon kardon, Electric seats with driver memory & Heated seats

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Car park exit ramp damage, advice please

Post by NISFAN » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:05 am

Those things are feckin annoying.

Is it the flap part dangling down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

50pence
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by 50pence » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:10 am

On face value the car park operator is liable, though you either need to prove that the "spike" did the damage, or they need to admit liability. Then there is no need to involve your insurer (which could hike you premiums even if the claim is not against your insurance), simply get a parts and labour quote, send it to the operator requesting payment within 14 days.
F20 M135i LCi, auto, adaptive suspension, adaptive LED + HB assist, h/seats, c/pack, elec folding & auto dimming mirrors, sun protection glass ...
E81 123d LCi M-Sport, manual ... (sold)
E87 120i Sport, manual ...

hampshire
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by hampshire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:17 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:05 am
Those things are feckin annoying.

Is it the flap part dangling down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep the flap it about 2” square tear the unde rtray in that area seems to be made of thin material almost like thick cardboard

If this is just cosmetic then I will leave it as the car goes back in 7 months and pretty sure they won’t look underneath
2016 - M235i coupe, Sports automatic gearbox, Mineral grey, Black Dakota leather, Brushed aluminium trim with black finisher, Professional media pack, Comfort pack, Harmon kardon, Electric seats with driver memory & Heated seats

hampshire
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by hampshire » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:19 pm

50pence wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:10 am
On face value the car park operator is liable, though you either need to prove that the "spike" did the damage, or they need to admit liability. Then there is no need to involve your insurer (which could hike you premiums even if the claim is not against your insurance), simply get a parts and labour quote, send it to the operator requesting payment within 14 days.

Car park operator came back on email and said it has to be done via my insurance company to them directly.

As per my other post if it’s just cosmetic I might just push it backso it almost level and forget about it.

fufty1
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by fufty1 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:56 pm

hampshire wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:19 pm
50pence wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:10 am

Car park operator came back on email and said it has to be done via my insurance company to them directly.

As per my other post if it’s just cosmetic I might just push it backso it almost level and forget about it.
This is bullsh*t.

If you crash into me, my insurance company don't need to be involved. I may need to advise them but the settlement has nothing to do with them.
There are plenty of templates online for this sort of thing. Do what you have done and say you have 14 days to pay to account x or you will be contacting a solicitor and resolving via small claims court.

Probably go and take a picture of the spikes.
Current: M240i manual EB with cognac.
Gone: m135i auto MG

Dan116i
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Dan116i » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:56 pm

Can I ask which hospital it is?

The car park operator isn’t always liable. Especially if it was the land owner (and not the car park operator) who actually installed it to meet H&S concerns.
Now: 2006 130i with even more goodies ;)
Gone: 2008 116i with goodies :)

hampshire
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by hampshire » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:02 pm

Its Basingstoke hospital the main visitors car park. I went back today in the wifes 4 x4 and can see why its so dangerous for low cars. The spikes only retract when the weight of the vehicle pushes them down and only the one pressed NOT all of them. So as the car goes up and over the spikes are still up so low cars will get hit. The force to make them retract is also significant.

Off to BMW tomorrow to see what is has done then will decide if I should involve any kind of legal team etc.

It doesn't look too menacing in the pictures and for most cars its probably not too bad but there is quite a bit of pain removed from the spikes.
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (215.86 KiB) Viewed 630 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (228.01 KiB) Viewed 630 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (202.68 KiB) Viewed 630 times

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:06 pm

That looks absolutely retarded. Have never seen those in Australia.
What's wrong with a boom gate? Yes, more expensive to set up, but then again, it's not retarded like those spiked humps look to be.
Aussie M140i 5 door
Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back (boost flap deleted - electric actuator flap retrofitted)

BMW M Lite Owners Group AU & NZ
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

andydavy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andydavy » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:59 pm

Having worked with these ramps the ramp is broken / faulty. When one spike is pushed down by a tyre they should ALL retract!!

hampshire
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by hampshire » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:08 pm

andydavy wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:59 pm
Having worked with these ramps the ramp is broken / faulty. When one spike is pushed down by a tyre they should ALL retract!!
That’s what I thought too but going over in the wife’s heavy 4x4 only the spikes that were driven over retracted. Thinking I should go back and video the other staying up

Dan116i

Post by Dan116i » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:37 pm

andydavy wrote:
This is only the case if they’re not “modula”, where by each unit works individually. Also they’ll only press down when the wheels are in contact (so when half way over, the wheels won’t be there to hold it down anymore)

OP: is your car lowered/modified? That could be their excuse if the case. Easiest way to find the operator is by the “front of house” sign. Either located at the entrance of the hospital or parking zone. Within the T&C’s will be the operators head office details. It’s not my company (thankfully) :lol:

hampshire
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by hampshire » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 pm

Dan116i wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:37 pm
andydavy wrote:
This is only the case if they’re not “modula”, where by each unit works individually. Also they’ll only press down when the wheels are in contact (so when half way over, the wheels won’t be there to hold it down anymore)

OP: is your car lowered/modified? That could be their excuse if the case. Easiest way to find the operator is by the “front of house” sign. Either located at the entrance of the hospital or parking zone. Within the T&C’s will be the operators head office details. It’s not my company (thankfully) :lol:

Spoken to car park operator who said they have had other cases and it ups to insurance/legal teams to contact them. Will use legal support from work and see what happens they are free and highly effective

Dan116i

Post by Dan116i » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:53 pm

Have you got it in writing that there has been other cases involving these? As that would be really useful

hampshire
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by hampshire » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Dan116i wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:37 pm
andydavy wrote:

No car is totally standard, just the design of the shi66y speed ramp

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”