Baby BMW Forum banner

The exhaust thread.

5K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Mr Kirk 
#1 ·
Thought this might help people in future and indeed me now! Could people with exhausts that differ from standard please post what they have, what it cost and what it is like in terms of noise over standard. A PPI claim refund has me shopping and there are soooo many threads that come up in searches I'm loosing track of what I've read!

Make

Cost

Noise

#2 ·
BCS Cat Back, £1080 with ceramic black tailpipes inc fitting, noise is nothing intrusive when trundling about but omits a loud roar when full boost is engaged....perfect balance IMO. Also the tailpipes look great!

#3 ·
Make
BMW performance exhaust with BCS mid pipes

Cost
~£600 for the exhaust from Costwald BMW and fit my self (about 10 minutes after I got the car home)
£270 for the BCS mid pipe from a forum member and also fit myself

Noise
Sport: absolutely perfect! good pops on lift off and shift down and notably louder all round with larger bangs on high rpm lift off when hot and also a pop/a45 fart on up shift.
Comfort/Eco Pro: slightly louder than stock with minimal pops when hot

Tips
Standard BMW performance chrome tips for now but looking for some 67mm inlet 101mm outlet slash tips to buy..... that DONT say akrapovic on them!

#4 ·
Work in progress at the moment.....

Standard M2 - 2/3rds exhaust £90
Standard front section to second resonator. £50 delivered.

Exhaust hanger brackets M235i £60

Standard rear bumper insert, for the moment, cut round quads. £30

Exhaust shop weld the top two together. £80

Grand total £310

Should sound a little deeper and louder than stock. Whilst still retaining the valve.

Later if all ok sound wise, will convert quads to duals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Car Model 2014 BMW M135i - Pre LCI (N55 Engine)

Make Custom Y Pipe from Style Dynamics - Hayes

Cost £350

Noise How I feel the car should have come from the factory, there is a slight drone at 3k revs, but I believe this is due to the solid mounts that I asked them to fit. When you get on it the sound is incredible, sounds like a proper M car, if not better IMO. Also the pops and bangs are unreal, quite tame when put back into comfort mode - but who drives in that mode anyway!?

I would recommend getting this done to anyone! It's a cheap alternative to a branded product, and sounds just as good, only downside is that touch of drone, but you adjust your driving style to avoid it :)

#7 ·
duckson said:
BCS Cat Back, £1080 with ceramic black tailpipes inc fitting, noise is nothing intrusive when trundling about but omits a loud roar when full boost is engaged....perfect balance IMO. Also the tailpipes look great!
Similar to yours...

Make
BCS Turboback with Sports Cat (no MOT issues)

Cost
Lots...think it was 1500 with discount

Noise
EPIC - When valve is closed maybe 10-15% more than standard, fine on the motorway. Put your foot down and valve opens, makes epic music. Also when in sport/sport + mode the pops and gurgles are insane.

#8 ·
BCS cat back. I believe the standard forum price is about £950.

Sounds fantastic, especially on full throttle. Lots of cracks and pops in sport mode. Adds a lot of drama to the car.

Also, the tips look [emoji108] really fill the cut outs in the bumper.

BCS have a sub forum in the sponsor section.

#9 ·
Does anyone have any experience comparing these? I was just going to go for a factory fitted M Performance Exhaust for £926 fitted with carbon tips. If other exhaust are of a similar cost but sound much better I would obviously look around.

#15 ·
Glund91 said:
Stepho said:
I got quoted just under £600 for a cobra cat back system from the performance centre. BCS is just over the 1K so can't justify that cost. I'm looking at £600 max spend, don't want MPE.
Do you mind me asking where offered the cobra system for £600? And have you any idea how this sounds?
I don't mind you asking but it's in the origional post to where I was quoted this price for a Cobra cat back system. You tube for sound.

#16 ·
Make:
Custom job - single silencer delete
Cost:
£60
Noise:
Subtle difference mainly at start-up and in Sport mode, but also noticeable at higher revs in Comfort. Couple of people commented saying it sounds similar to MPE.
Recommended if you don't generally like the sound of aftermarket exhausts in real life.

#17 ·
Stepho said:
Glund91 said:
Stepho said:
I got quoted just under £600 for a cobra cat back system from the performance centre. BCS is just over the 1K so can't justify that cost. I'm looking at £600 max spend, don't want MPE.
Do you mind me asking where offered the cobra system for £600? And have you any idea how this sounds?
I don't mind you asking but it's in the origional post to where I was quoted this price for a Cobra cat back system. You tube for sound.
It might be in your original post bit it doesn't give much info. The only Performance Centre I can find is I Sunderland and only advertises remaps.

#18 ·
Peter.V said:
Make:
Custom job - single silencer delete
Cost:
£60
Noise:
Subtle difference mainly at start-up and in Sport mode, but also noticeable at higher revs in Comfort. Couple of people commented saying it sounds similar to MPE.
Recommended if you don't generally like the sound of aftermarket exhausts in real life.
Could be what il be trying first

Dean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
kylemacca01 said:
Glund91 said:
I was told today that the MPE should sound fairly similar to a stock M2. Not sure how much of this I believe though. Anyone had any experience with these two?
No chance. Maybe on the m135i but the m140i has a lot more mid pipe silencing than the m2.
See I feel it is far too quiet stock, but if the M Performance doesn't ramp it up considerably ill be disappointed. Especially on the interior.

#22 ·
Glund91 said:
kylemacca01 said:
Glund91 said:
I was told today that the MPE should sound fairly similar to a stock M2. Not sure how much of this I believe though. Anyone had any experience with these two?
No chance. Maybe on the m135i but the m140i has a lot more mid pipe silencing than the m2.
See I feel it is far too quiet stock, but if the M Performance doesn't ramp it up considerably ill be disappointed. Especially on the interior.
Prepare to be disappointed. The mpe is marginally louder but in the cabin almost zero difference. Its a bit of a deeper tone. All you can hear inside with a stock or mpe set up is the active sound.

If you want some proper noise the midpipe needs some work imo.

#23 ·
Argh you are killing me haha, I tried driving with the windows down but then the wind noise as well as other cars covers the noise. I had a Mini Cooper S with a Scorpion Exhaust which roared in the interior. Maybe I need to take it to get a Cobra exhaust or something like that.

#24 ·
Glund91 said:
Argh you are killing me haha, I tried driving with the windows down but then the wind noise as well as other cars covers the noise. I had a Mini Cooper S with a Scorpion Exhaust which roared in the interior. Maybe I need to take it to get a Cobra exhaust or something like that.
Yeah the cobra would be a big jump up in terms of volume from the mpe.

I have mpe with custom straight through midpipe and its bang on for me. Sounds glorious and isnt silly loud, start up aside...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.