dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

ggm140

Re: dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

Post by ggm140 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:34 pm

salmani01 wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:54 am
GGM140 brace yourself for the standard quote of "this is a production noise" or "it’s the characteristic of the car".

These 2 are the 2 standard quotes when they come back to you. I would be amazed if they actually turn round and do something about it. if they do, it will give me a bit more faith in the BMW brand and would actually say a lot for the dealers that I am using.

I hope it’s the later and you don’t get mugged off with the old famous saying of "BMW actually design their cars to do this, why did you not know that"...

Good luck mate and let us all know what your results are?

I know what you mean mate, it's just a waiting game to see what they are gonna say. Cheers, I'll keep you updated when they get back to me.
Current ✔️
M140i Auto
Previous ❌
ST-3 Estate
EP3 Civic
EJ9 Civic

clio200pat

Post by clio200pat » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:19 pm

Well the rattle on mine got worse and worse, until it was rattling all the time. Took it in today and they fitted another spring which has sorted the constant rattle, but not the cold start rattle.

I was told that the technician looking at my car mentioned that this was a known fault with this model. Apparently BMW were looking into a permanent fix but didn't know when this would be.

Tom314
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Tom314 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 am

Interestingly mine's booked in for a replacement back box at the end of this month, I guess it'll be interesting to see what happens when they try to get the fix cleared with BMW, I'm going with their suggestions at the moment. If BMW run out of suggestions then I'll ask BMW to confirm whether disconnecting the actuator is an acceptable solution which won't negatively effect the car.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

March 2017 F20 M140i 5dr Estoril Blue & Oyster

teehabmw

Post by teehabmw » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:26 am

Long time lurker, first time posting.

Just to give an Australian perspective. I developed this rattle on my exhaust which I showed the dealer. At no time did they say this was a characteristic of the car!

Service manager told the the process will be to replace the actuator if that didn't fix it the back box would be replaced. I did try to wrangle an M performance exhaust but it hasn't been approved for the M135 in Australia.

First attempt to fix was to replace the actuator - they tested for 24hrs and on the last test rattle returned and then back box replace. Rattle has since disappeared - all of 4 days from handing the car in and back. Told me the mechanism for the valve was different so shouldn't have this issue again. All replaced under warranty.
2015 M135i LCI - alpine white

Fidiman
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Fidiman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:36 am

I saw this subject such a time ago and thought: beh, I'm not concerned ... Till my car start to rattle on cold start yesterday.

As I'm in France and bought the car in Luxembourg, it might be different than the responses you get here, such as it's a normal noise for these cars.

I will mail my dealer today and keep you updated with this.

The blog - News for 1 and 2 Series

Lambster
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lambster » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:00 am

Latest on mine after starting the process to reject the car was that BMW agreed to fit the MPE under warranty and gave the dealer a part number. Dealer called me a couple of hours later and said the MPE doesn’t fit my car (it’s a manual).
Nice work BMW 👍
M140i: Man., 3 door, EB, HK, Adaptive Suspension, Adaptive LED w/ HB assist, Privacy Glass, Heated Seats, Driver Comfort pack, Media Pro, Folding mirrors

Please help the Mods by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Imtootall
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Imtootall » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:38 am

Took mine in yesterday to look at this, car is three weeks old. Dealer initially said that it's normal, then said they had replaced parts on other cars (actuators, springs, backbox) but didn't fix the fault or it came back. They have told me that as far as BMW are concerned there is no fault with the car.

I informed them that this is unacceptable to me as the customer, hinted toward the fact that I am still in the rejection window. They are now contacting BMW UK to escalate the issue and hopefully we can find a solution - whether that be replacement parts, new backbox, disconnecting the valve or an MPE.

Gaz-hem

Post by Gaz-hem » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:44 am

hi, I got my car last Friday on a 67 plate and Wednesday I went to start the car up to show a friend and the exhaust rattle happened. It also happened this morning so I'll be contacting the dealership to see what they can do. Really not happy with it doing this to say that the car is only a week old.

Javaman

Post by Javaman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi All,

this is my first post on this forum. I have an M140i which I purchased a year ago and which has been making the rattle pretty much from the get go. My dealer is being most unhelpful. I rang them just over a week ago and all I got over the phone was that the noise is normal but when I insisted, the agreed to have the car in and video the noise and send to BMW. On collection the following morning, they insisted there was nothing wrong and ALL M CARS make the same noise . . .errh, no they don't actually. Still, they are refusing to play ball in any way, shape or form. Clearly BMW have an issue here as there is no point replacing the back box with an identical unit which will inevitably make the same noise. Rather than fess up and concede that they need to work on a redesign before "repairing" our cars, it seems the standard patter is either to deny hearing the noise, as in the case of my dealer or suggest that it is there by design. Clearly if this was the case, they wouldn't have started out replacing the back boxes under warranty.
After the cracking alloy wheels fiasco, you would have thought BMW would have learned the hard way to look after their customers but . . apparently not.
I am taking my complaint to Trading Standards but have also contacted BBC Watchdog who originally took BMW to task over their cracking alloy wheels and I suspect they would welcome the chance to have another pop at them. Whilst I remain a lone voice of dissent, there is perhaps less chance of them taking action but the more the merrier. . . . .
I would encourage each of you who has this problem and is being given the runaround by BMW to contact Watchdog and register your complaint. Here's the link if you wish to do likewise
https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

Incidentally, as I have sent my youtube link to Watchdog, the more folks who comment on my exhaust noise the better and so please feel free to make suitable comments . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGSdF9xOwKE&t=15s

Spenn

Post by Spenn » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:11 pm

Cars currently with the dealer so will find out what's been done or what hasn't been done tomorrow. Here's a link on what my exhaust makes on start up https://youtu.be/OE7qZTOXuDY not sure how it compares to others but I wouldn't say it's normal or the characteristics of the car. Cross fingers I'll have a positive outcome tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassi
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by jassi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:41 pm

Just a question - can the rattle be heard from inside the car? Reason I ask is I don't have the rattle on my m140i (still running in), but then again I can't keep getting out of the car at cold start and checking for it every other day :-)
Aussie M140i 5 door - no mods yet, warranty friendly
Aussie NZ M135i/M140i/M235i/M240i Owners Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

Jahjaman
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Jahjaman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:14 am

jassi wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:41 pm
Just a question - can the rattle be heard from inside the car? Reason I ask is I don't have the rattle on my m140i (still running in), but then again I can't keep getting out of the car at cold start and checking for it every other day :-)
Can be heard from 10 metres away. So yes, can be heard from inside the car. You will think "WTF IS THAT NOISE" as soon as you hear it. You won't miss it dw. Lol
Aussie M140i 5 door
Underbody brace - Quaife LSD - Eibach Pro springs - SuperPro camber bushes - BCS cat back

Aussie NZ M135i/M140i/M235i/M240i Owners Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

jassi
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by jassi » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 am

^^ alright phew - i will stop hanging around the outside of the car after starting on these cold mornings to see if i have a rattle :-P
Aussie M140i 5 door - no mods yet, warranty friendly
Aussie NZ M135i/M140i/M235i/M240i Owners Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/248993522276877/

garysan
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by garysan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:54 am

^ What he said. I heard a little something a couple of mornings and mentioned it to my dealer, they put a puma case forward but since then I'd heard very little from them despite a chase. THEN I saw a video (I think posted earlier in this thread) of someone's exhaust doing it and realised mine was nothing really so emailed my dealer to drop it.
Current: 2016 M135i Alpine White, ProNav, Adaptive Suspension.
Previous: 2013 E70 X5 40d Carbon Black, ProNav | 2011 E92 335d, 2004 CLK55 AMG

Spenn

Post by Spenn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:11 am

jassi wrote:Just a question - can the rattle be heard from inside the car? Reason I ask is I don't have the rattle on my m140i (still running in), but then again I can't keep getting out of the car at cold start and checking for it every other day :-)
Definitely, the rattle can be heard inside the car. That's how I noticed it. If you think how loud the exhaust is on a cold start but the rattle is still very noticeable over it, it must be loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”