dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: babybmwadmin, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, Rich196

Spenn

Re: dreadful exhaust flap rattle .

Post by Spenn » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:13 pm

KieranD1988 wrote:I have no idea what your dealers are doing. But after having mine booked in today the head tech for a well known car dealership of all makes told me that BMW have a fix issued for this and that it was implemented in the exhausts on the "facelift" models. They ll be fitting one of these new back boxes on my own car when it goes in. He said theyve fitted a few of these recently and had 0 recalls about the issue reoccuring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What dealership is this? What report/ diagnostics was sent to BMW? As mentioned I saw my report and it clearly states 'no issue, no action needed' so I'm interested what your dealership has done differently in order for BMW to go ahead with replacing the back box as I know a few cars at my dealership had this fix processed and then had their back boxes cancelled from being on back order and their still waiting, this has been going on since June for them and the dealership is still waiting on a response from BMW.

Lambster
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Lambster » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:23 pm

KieranD1988 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:04 pm
I have no idea what your dealers are doing. But after having mine booked in today the head tech for a well known car dealership of all makes told me that BMW have a fix issued for this and that it was implemented in the exhausts on the "facelift" models. They ll be fitting one of these new back boxes on my own car when it goes in. He said theyve fitted a few of these recently and had 0 recalls about the issue reoccuring.

Someone is telling you porkies. If by 'facelift' models you mean Shadow Edition, then no it's not fixed. Shadow Editions suffer the same issue.
There's no fix yet. BMW are cancelling the back box being replaced with the same one because they know the issue will likely reoccur, costing them more money down the line. They're likely coming up with a solution hence why they've gone quiet.
M140i: Man., 3 door, EB, HK, Adaptive Suspension, Adaptive LED w/ HB assist, Privacy Glass, Heated Seats, Driver Comfort pack, Media Pro, Folding mirrors

Please help the Mods by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

KieranD1988

Post by KieranD1988 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Lambster wrote:
KieranD1988 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:04 pm
I have no idea what your dealers are doing. But after having mine booked in today the head tech for a well known car dealership of all makes told me that BMW have a fix issued for this and that it was implemented in the exhausts on the "facelift" models. They ll be fitting one of these new back boxes on my own car when it goes in. He said theyve fitted a few of these recently and had 0 recalls about the issue reoccuring.

Someone is telling you porkies. If by 'facelift' models you mean Shadow Edition, then no it's not fixed. Shadow Editions suffer the same issue.
There's no fix yet. BMW are cancelling the back box being replaced with the same one because they know the issue will likely reoccur, costing them more money down the line. They're likely coming up with a solution hence why they've gone quiet.
Shadow edition is a pack thats available on facelift (LCI 2) models.

Either way my backbox is due to be fitted next week.

Imtootall
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Imtootall » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Mine is a Shadow and has the issue, seem my videos on the last page.

KieranD1988

Post by KieranD1988 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:43 pm

Imtootall wrote:Mine is a Shadow and has the issue, seem my videos on the last page.
Ahh toss!! Haha might aswell fix it myself then.

B8sy86

Post by B8sy86 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:17 pm

KieranD1988 wrote:I have no idea what your dealers are doing. But after having mine booked in today the head tech for a well known car dealership of all makes told me that BMW have a fix issued for this and that it was implemented in the exhausts on the "facelift" models. They ll be fitting one of these new back boxes on my own car when it goes in. He said theyve fitted a few of these recently and had 0 recalls about the issue reoccuring.

Hi, sorry to say I have the facelift and a terrible exhaust rattle so that info isn't correct. Got mine going in Thursday.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

B8sy86

Post by B8sy86 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:19 pm

B8sy86 wrote:

Hi, sorry to say I have the facelift and a terrible exhaust rattle so that info isn't correct. Got mine going in Thursday.

Just spotted I'm late to the responses and people have already said this. Apologies for harping on as such!

KieranD1988

Post by KieranD1988 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:21 pm

B8sy86 wrote:
B8sy86 wrote:

Just spotted I'm late to the responses and people have already said this. Apologies for harping on as such!

Has anyone actually attempted the suggested self fix to this mentioned in a few other related threads? Tightening a spring or something?

El pollo diablo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by El pollo diablo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:30 pm

I had the rattle 2-3 times in my first week of ownership at around June time. It hasn't done it ever since, until this morning when it came back with a vengeance. What an awful metallic vibration noise... Truly appalling. Still hoping that BMW will recognise it at some point and there will be a proper fix...
If only M-performance exhaust for M140i had a flap in it. It would have been such an easy choice then...
M140i - 5 Door Auto, Estoril Blue, Oyster Leather, Driver Comfort Pack, Adaptive Suspension, Pro Media, HK Sound, Heated Seats

B8sy86

Post by B8sy86 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:38 pm

I've got mine booked in tomorrow to be looked at.

Imtootall
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Imtootall » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:40 pm

Having made a complaint to BMW UK and a PuMA case raised it looks like I am being offered an M Performance exhaust. Are these much louder than stock?

B8sy86

Post by B8sy86 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:19 pm

Imtootall wrote:Having made a complaint to BMW UK and a PuMA case raised it looks like I am being offered an M Performance exhaust. Are these much louder than stock?
Based on YouTube I would say yes, you could always swap with someone not having the problem with a stock exhaust and make some money for doing it. I'm trying to get the same outcome as I would prefer the more aggressive exhaust.

Imtootall
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Imtootall » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm not in the business of fraud... I just want my car to be without fault.

B8sy86

Post by B8sy86 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:47 pm

Imtootall wrote:I'm not in the business of fraud... I just want my car to be without fault.
Who said fraud, they change your faulty exhaust for an MPE, then someone pays you to swap their standard non faulty exhaust with your MPE so you end up with original part working and cash and a happy owner has an MPE. Nothing about that is fraud I can assure you.

R88ory
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by R88ory » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:45 am

Mine had a new back box yesterday.

Needs a few miles put through it as its mega quiet now, It had got to a nice level for me.

No rattles yet but I have to be honest, I'll surprised if it does not come back..

So yes they are still replacing back boxes, they tried a different actuator first but it rattled two days later so had to have the box done.

They also replaced both exhaust trims too. So nice new shiny ones on mine now.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”