Track day tyre temps MPSS

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

conwajc33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Track day tyre temps MPSS

Post by conwajc33 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:50 am

Tracking car for first time next week, loads of good info and advice in threads and track day sticky ( good work MP)

Whilst found good info around optimum tyre pressures interested in optimum tyre temperatures. Think I've seen 50 degrees on spirited mountain run hence the query. 3 questions really

- what is optimum operating range for MPSS
- at what temp do they pass this range
- is the temperature gauge in car accurate or any allowance required.

I don't plan to change tyres on this visit, may do for next time, already noted the semi's recomended.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

git-r2
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Track day tyre temps MPSS

Post by git-r2 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:05 am

conwajc33 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:50 am
Tracking car for first time next week, loads of good info and advice in threads and track day sticky ( good work MP)

Whilst found good info around optimum tyre pressures interested in optimum tyre temperatures. Think I've seen 50 degrees on spirited mountain run hence the query. 3 questions really

- what is optimum operating range for MPSS
- at what temp do they pass this range
- is the temperature gauge in car accurate or any allowance required.

I don't plan to change tyres on this visit, may do for next time, already noted the semi's recomended.

Cheers

That’s a good question, if you go onto the Michelin website they have a chat feature and will be able to tell you.

Interested to see replies for this, please report back if you contact them.

Pressures are a pain with the MPSS in my experience, shoulder wear is bad so you have to keep them high meaning higher temps, less run time etc.

If you’re doing it properly get a temp gun for about a tenner and check inner/middle/outer temps - a nicely set up Car will be show the same temps across the whole tyre in theory. Doesn’t work like this in practice.
'13 M135i standard.. and will remain so.. I promise... really.. will not modify... or abuse on track..
'91 R32 GTR... basically standard and unmolested... 497 @ rear hubs... never raced nor rallied : https://youtu.be/jhsX0elVG2k
+ some dullness

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:33 am

MPSS are ok for short stints on track, but stay out too long and you'll simply destroy them. Especially if you're running the skinny, soft 225mm 88Y fronts.

They'll melt around 60+°C, but the tyre temps update so slowly they'll be a molten mess long before the dash display catches up.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

conwajc33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by conwajc33 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:07 pm

Thanks for replies.

MP - operating temp 45°C to 60°C seems to be concensus on track sites also. Interesting that proper track tyres are 71°c to 105°c really shows the difference.

Take your point around sensor update in car, presume sensor within wheel therefore heat will need to absorb through tyre before accurate, I guess running hot brakes will also impact reading, take as a guide only and a proper tyre temp tool a good investment.

Advice that a variance of 10°c across tyre is best (inner / middle / outer) .

I will email Michelin also.

I ask as I want to be sensible around track impacts to car, I've had previous cars that have literally been wrecked on track days and clearly there is a common sense approach to this. Most of which is covered in sticky section.

Will update once Michelin reply, although another thread has a Michelin response which avoids the question and outlines tyre pressue management instead, we'll see what comes.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:19 pm

If you do get into a live chat with Michelin, could you also ask about temps for their Cup 2 tyre for me please? I think they should be good for about 90°.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

conwajc33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by conwajc33 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:31 pm

Will do , if can't get live chat will be emailing today. They have a 48hr service level for reply (worst case)

conwajc33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by conwajc33 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:59 pm

No live chat, have emailed them via their webform on page.

If you would like a copy of email PM me your email add . No worries if not will post their reply anyway.

Those Cup 2 look like a decent bit of kit.

conwajc33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by conwajc33 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:59 pm

No live chat, have emailed them via their webform on page.

If you would like a copy of email PM me your email add . No worries if not will post their reply anyway.

Those Cup 2 look like a decent bit of kit.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Yeah, I'm hoping Cup 2's will be a fair compromise for Summer road/track use. They're releasing them in 245/35/18 92Y this Spring.

Quadrapete

Post by Quadrapete » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:06 pm

Mine got really hot (I know there’s too much pressure in) but they never felt like they dropped off...it was more the brakes that were the limiting factor - the pedal was long pretty much all day, however it was a very hot day too
M135i white 5 door, coral leather, manual, HK sound, driver comfort pack, pro nav

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Cup2's are fantastic tyres , ive done 4 track days on mine now and they will have about 4.8mm tread across the whole tyre , bear in mind these only come with 5.5mm tread from new.
They can be a bit sketchy from cold but once they have a bit of heat in them they switch on and are very impressive
Also they are whisper quite compared to mpss.
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

conwajc33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by conwajc33 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:35 pm

So what's the smart play here, on the basis will do 3 track days between now and end of year. Knockhill is a short track (60 secs) probably do 4 runs of 10 laps per session 40 - 50 mins running time.

Do you guys buy track tyres and swap over from road tyres on each visit, hold a second set of wheels and tyres and completely change wheels, or run track tyres (i.e cup2) all the time ?

Obviously will work out economics once track day complete but just interested how other people approach it.

conwajc33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by conwajc33 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:39 pm

Quadrapete wrote:Image

Mine got really hot (I know there’s too much pressure in) but they never felt like they dropped off...it was more the brakes that were the limiting factor - the pedal was long pretty much all day, however it was a very hot day too
Interesting when looking at pressures advice to consider the loaded tyre and reduce pressure further, your pic a good example of that take it was a clockwise track !!

How was the wear on tyre ? How long were you running for ?

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm planning on running Cup 2's all next summer, and then swapping to my winter wheels a little earlier than usual.

Cup 2's April through October, Winters from Nov - March approx, depending on temps. (Historically I only run Winters from Dec to Feb.)

conwajc33
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by conwajc33 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Defo worth thinking about

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”