Winter Tyres - not so impressive! (Added a couple of short videos)

Fed up with your run flats? Fancy a change of rubber?
Looking a new set of wheels? Get all your tyre/alloys info in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Winter Tyres - not so impressive! (Added a couple of short videos)

Post by alexdm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:34 am

Needed to go out in the snow this morning but thought hey winter tyres should be ok?

No!

Got further than some, but still needed digging out and a good push to get going... perhaps in expecting too much but my old manual 118d had the Bridgestone Blizzak fitted and I drove many many times in similar conditions no problem. I now have Pirelli Sottozero, but a 235i with automatic transmission. Useless!! The snow is only just at freezing point so the weight of the car instantly compresses it into a solid lump of ice, meaning even winters just sit there spinning.

Likely I am expecting too much (we have 3-4” of snow cover on the roads) and also it is my first shot in an auto in the snow (inexperience here I’m sure doesn’t help) but I was extremely gentle with the controls.

So where have I gone wrong (skipping the trying to go out in the first place part!)...!

Added a couple of short videos from my cctv (sorry not great quality):

https://youtu.be/Cn456eWWJok
https://youtu.be/IRFtCBYc38I
Last edited by alexdm on Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
White m235i Auto with black grilles, pro nav, adaptive, HK, voodoo headlights + some other bits & bobs! :)

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: Winter Tyres - not so impressive!

Post by marco_polo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:41 am

Traction Control turned off, per the manual? Are you trying to pull away in 1st gear like normal, or in a taller ratio?

A 25kg sack of salt/grit in the boot (and a full tank of course) will help you.

How much tread is on them?
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

SkyJawa
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by SkyJawa » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:55 am

Winter tyres should work on ice as well as snow.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GlYEMH10Z4s

msej449
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by msej449 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:11 am

Not sure what the source of your problem may be..... I had Sottozero Serie-II on my 330d xDrive, and have Sottozero S3 on my M235i and both have been fine in Alpine snow, including some hill starts. I have been more thorough in always engaging TRACTION on the M-Lite when on snow. And the tread depth has always been 5mm+ - the recommendation is not to let them fall below 4mm if you are going to use them for snow. Both cars had the Sports Auto. Both cars also had a separate square winter wheel set: the M235i is on 7.5Jx17 with 225/45-17 tyres.
Last edited by msej449 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
2016 M235i Convertible Estoril Blue, Oyster & High Gloss Black

MartyB
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by MartyB » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:13 am

Mine were brilliant this morning. As Marco has said need the traction control completely off and set off in 2nd not 1st. Even from a standstill on a hill was no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootyvrs

Post by sootyvrs » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:23 am

Used to have Sotto Zero tyres on my previous 130i and they were excellent in the snow...

You mention compacted ice... Although winter tyres are excellent in most wintry conditions, in certain situation where it's solid ice even winter tyres will struggle and only snow chains or studded tyres will help..

I have Conti TS830 this time around and they have been excellent so far when it's been snowing but I'm also realistic that on sheet ice where there is near no friction on an incline, I don't expect miracles
My BabyBMW's with some Pork inbetween :D
2017 F21 BMW M140i Auto
2015 F56 Mini Cooper S Man
2013 F20 BMW M135i Auto
2010 R56 Mini Cooper D Man
2007 E87 BMW 130i Man

sgb27
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sgb27 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:36 am

M140i with Dunlop Wintersport 5's here. No problem at all in the snow this morning, passed a few FWDs and an X1 stuck on the hill getting out of our village. This was with TC totally off (long hold of the button) and with the auto box in manual mode. Starting in 1st on hills was fine, just had to be gentle releasing the brake and feeding in throttle until moving.
M140i Shadow - EB/Auto

Tricky401
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tricky401 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 am

Just helped push 3 bmws at the end of my road as they all got stuck. None had winters fitted.

Mine hasn't either so it won't be leaving the drive until it's gone.

Unless it's an emergency or you really NEED to go out why not just stay in. Imo there's too many inexperienced/unprepared people driving in the snow so it's not worth any risk
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:44 am

Thanks guys. Yep in traction mode, very gentle on throttle (mainly trying to use the brake/creep where possible. Also put the box in manual 2nd gear starts and literally just had slowly spinning wheels. Once compacted it is literally like a block of ice under the wheels with no traction whatsoever.

Tyres have 7mm so not a tire wear issue.
White m235i Auto with black grilles, pro nav, adaptive, HK, voodoo headlights + some other bits & bobs! :)

sgb27
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sgb27 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 pm

How old are the tyres?
M140i Shadow - EB/Auto

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:42 pm

sgb27 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:00 pm
How old are the tyres?
24 months old

chester
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chester » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:54 pm

Tricky401 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 am
Just helped push 3 bmws at the end of my road as they all got stuck. None had winters fitted.

Mine hasn't either so it won't be leaving the drive until it's gone.

Unless it's an emergency or you really NEED to go out why not just stay in. Imo there's too many inexperienced/unprepared people driving in the snow so it's not worth any risk
You can fit th best tyres in the world but it won't stop someone smacking into you.

Mines tucked safely away until spring :)

2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

kylemacca01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by kylemacca01 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:58 pm

Don't understand why anyone goes out in this weather, especially on a Sunday morning. My car is in the garage where it will be staying

alexdm
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by alexdm » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:36 pm

kylemacca01 wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:58 pm
Don't understand why anyone goes out in this weather, especially on a Sunday morning. My car is in the garage where it will be staying
I do agree with this, but my other half is stuck at a friends house 8 miles up the road... and walking from there isn’t really an option. I did think if I made it to the main road I’d be ok from there, but they were just as bad. Perhaps I’ll take a walk up there later and see if it has improved at all...

Or open a bottle of wine and enjoy a quiet night to myself lol

sgb27
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by sgb27 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Am I the only one who finds it fun to drive in the snow? Early Sunday morning is the perfect time as there was virtually zero traffic. Roundabout after roundabout, freshly covered in snow with nobody else about, what should an M140i owner do??? :D
M140i Shadow - EB/Auto

Return to “Tyres/Wheels”