All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

How many men does it take to push a car up a hill

Post by glen8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 am

4 :lol:

Spent 3 hours yesterday morning pushing my friends 135i up a snowy hill to the M25.

Damn these cars don't like the snow do they. Times like this I wish I'd bought an R :roll:

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: How many men does it take to push a car up a hill

Post by marco_polo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:02 am

glen8 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:00 am
4 :lol:

Spent 3 hours yesterday morning pushing my friends 135i up a snowy hill to the M25.

Damn these cars don't like the snow do they. Times like this I wish I'd bought an R :roll:
What Winter tyres is he running? Mine romps up snowy hills, no bother.

I can outbrake an R by a massive margin too, 4x4 doesn't make your car safe in the snow!! Getting going isn't the trick, it's stopping and steering that is most important.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Stegosaurus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 am

My 140 was fine yesterday going up my girlfriends road and that's rather steep. No winter tyres, just Eco-mode, gearbox in manual and traction control off then let the car pull itself up with the torque
Current: 2017 M140i F20 in Estoril Blue 'Lydia'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 160mph achieved (autobahn)

Gone: F20 118d M Sport in Estoril Blue 'Bex'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 136mph achieved (autobahn), 48k miles covered

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by glen8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:50 am

I have to admit, I'm not sure what tyres he's running. Tried all the usual traction control stuff and manual/auto and the thing wouldn't move. It did a fair amount, but there were areas of the road it just constantly spun on.

Tricky one, as I was going to get the toyos but then decided against it as we never 'usually' get a decent amount of snow. Typical.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:54 am

Winters are worse in the dry (especially if you fit skinny rears), but much safer on ice, slush, snow, mud, & deep puddles. It's a misnomer that they're 'snow-only' tyres.

UK Ambulances run them all year round, iirc.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

AJRFulton
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by AJRFulton » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:28 am

marco_polo wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:54 am
Winters are worse in the dry (especially if you fit skinny rears), but much safer on ice, slush, snow, mud, & deep puddles. It's a misnomer that they're 'snow-only' tyres.

UK Ambulances run them all year round, iirc.
In my experience, living about as far North as is possible on the UK mainland, winters work better (225/40/17 all round) as soon as temperatures fall below 3 or 4°c. Rarely see the traction control light at all on the cold, wet or salt covered roads during regular > brisk driving. The car feels a lot more composed, even on dry roads. (I am running Michelin Cross Climates), and only when really pushing on do the limits become apparant - but in wintery conditions in Caithness.... I'm not pushing on.

The MPSS on standard alloys, have the traction control light flashing a lot in the same conditions. It is a brilliant tyre until temperatures drop below 5°C, then IMO they rapidly fall off a thermal cliff. On a cold dry day you can work temperature into the tyre, but it needs pushed. On cold days, where the salted road gets damp , I don't have confidence at all in the MPSS.
'14 M135i Auto

docwra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by docwra » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:28 pm

If youre that stuck letting air out of tyres can sometimes do the trick. My personal pro tip - dont even bother trying to drive a BMW in snow, walk/horse/sledge/stay in bed are all better options :D

Japper69
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Japper69 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:52 pm

As a nation we have a serious issue with winter and how we think about cars. If only it were mandatory like other countries to run winter tyres! Having had front wheel / four wheel ( haldex and Torsen ) and rear wheel drive cars over the years, the only car that got me everywhere without any issue at all was a 1 series BMW fitted with winter tyres. All others were on summers and failed miserably at some point.

It’s not the car, the tyres contact the road!.

Luckily I now work from home and don’t have to bother venturing out so opted not to change but if still living up north I for sure would be on winters and having a hoot at the same time.
M140i 5dr Manual, white - 'The van'
M2 DCT Mineral Grey - 'The beast'

Jonnybravo
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Jonnybravo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:54 pm

#Allofthem
M140i SE: BBS CH-R Wheels, KW V2 coilovers, M4 LCA + TS, subframe inserts, BMW LSD, JB4 + FF & EWG wires, BMS meth kit, 3.5" exhaust + decat, Maxton splitter, side blades, M foils, carbon spoiler, carbon500 alcantara steering & M2 paddles

Barney McGrew
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Barney McGrew » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:21 pm

Japper69 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:52 pm
As a nation we have a serious issue with winter and how we think about cars.
The problem is that we generally have mild winters here and snowfalls that actually cause issues for driving are so rare in this country (at least the lower half of the country anyway) that putting winters on isn't really needed. I live in the South East and put them on about 5 years ago and the first winter with them was a week of snow like this weekend. The tyres were great and as people say, a 2WD car with winters will easily outperform a 4x4 on summers. After that we had mild winters for the next 2 years, and while I still used them (just because I had them) I felt they weren't needed at all and it put me off bothering to get them since (and I haven't needed them since either).

So maybe in the last 10 years, I'd say I only would have benefited from winter tyres on 3 occasions.

Due to this, no one bothers in general and then get caught out when really they should just acknowledge the car should stay at home. If they desperately need the car, then winters are worth it for peace of mind in case the worst happens though.

Now I stick with the summers and have a pair of snow socks in the boot to get me out of trouble if needed.

Johnnyo
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Johnnyo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Winter tyres, job done. I have used them each winter for last 7yrs. Currently have on the 140 and the audi (4x4). They just give the better grip, handling and braking (but can’t defy physics!). Poor Golf R (7.5 version) thought he boot it off a left hander out of a 30 limit (to national limit), wet and 0.5c - he didn’t have the traction and was suitably perplexed..
2017 Petrol - many galloping horses.. Intergalactic miles....
2014 Dirty White 120d sport auto - brilliant but gone to help save the planet from diesel....

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”