bit naive , bit stupid

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Twenny
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: bit naive , bit stupid

Post by Twenny » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 pm

Octavius has had Michelin cross climates fitted to his work van and he was most impressed with them. So much so that he has fitted a second set. Got decent mileage out of them too I believe.

I’ll give him a nudge and you can hear his thoughts.

For a 220d x drive they sound spot on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by glen8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 pm

No wonder people get confused, I've been reading many contradictory posts regarding winter tyres and how best to setup the car.

Things like:

Put sand bags in the boot
Don't put sand bags in the boot

Use eco mode
Don't use eco mode

Turn off TC
Keep TC on

If someone doesn't want to buy a new set of alloys, what is the best winter tyre to pick? (ie, 18")

Twenny

bit naive , bit stupid

Post by Twenny » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:51 pm

glen8 wrote:If someone doesn't want to buy a new set of alloys, what is the best winter tyre to pick? (ie, 18")
Don’t bite me here please Glen, but why would you pay an extra £40 twice a year to have your summer tyres swapped for winter tyres onto your preferred alloys (I assume you want to keep the look of the car you have at the moment rather than something not so nice?)

You can buy a decent second hand set of OEM alloys AND winter tyres for around £400. Or even cheaper, a set of steelies and winters for around £250.

I have 18” Continental Winter Contact TS850P and they are very very good. Only tested in a couple inches of snow to be fair but performed well on a hill stop/start. And amazing in the wet too.

These cost me £400 off an awesome forum member - bargain of the year!!! However, plenty to be found if you have a look about.

Granted mine is the 3L E82 but I believe the same principle applies. I’m not overly keen on going back to black wheels but if it saves my novice ass in the snow I’ll be happy enough come Feb/March.

2010 125i E82 Coupe M Sport Black
P-Torqued 266bhp-BMWP exhaust+intake+skirts+gear knob+grilles---Rieger diffuser-Darklines-retrofit cruise control-130i front discs-VMR v710-Eibach ARB
My build thread - http://www.babybmw.net/viewtopic.php?t=60951

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by glen8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 pm

^ ahh, yep you're right. Totally forgot about the garage fees for swapping tyres.

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by glen8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:20 pm

are these any good? I have my original oem alloys in the garage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-New-245-4 ... SwGzhaK8uS

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm

glen8 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:20 pm
are these any good? I have my original oem alloys in the garage

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-New-245-4 ... SwGzhaK8uS
Err, they're almost tractor tyres! Massive! 245/45/18!
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by glen8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:31 pm

oops, ur right....I was ebaying 4 x 18 winter tyres

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Most people fit 225/40/18 92 fronts and 235/40/18 95 rears, or 225/40/18 92 all round.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

glen8
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by glen8 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:37 pm

Just trying to find a set for the coming months

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-MICHELIN- ... SwY~1aKmxq

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Yup, they'll do nicely.

binocular
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by binocular » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:15 pm

Matt wrote:Haha, I know that tunnel! Glad you got away without a scratch. Take it easy.
I also know that tunnel. I’ve lost count of the number of people I’ve heard of who have been nicked for speeding at the ends of the tunnel. Plod knows that the enthusiasts amongst us like to play through there. Glad the OP didn’t hit the tunnel sides tho!

Alpine White F20 M135i, auto, adaptive, MPE.

olda47
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by olda47 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:32 pm

RJW_1989 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 am
so i have had my MPE fitted for about a week now and as everyone says they get better with time so have been using any excuse to stick a few miles on the car , obviously it only takes a look outside the window to see that conditions are less than M140i favorable , but no matter! to the petrol station we went as i had a free afternoon. the weather was -1 on the computer and the surface was wet so naturally i was a bit tentative and wasnt out for a "hoon" as such , just a drive really .... anyway, i was heading towards grassington and that route takes me under the leeds bradford airport runway tunnel this introduced what is commonly described as a "brain fart " ... Sport+, Sport gearbox , windows down and a purposeful stamp on the loud one , its probably a 300metre run at best ..... the car did its thing and took off but going from 3rd into 4th it spat the back end out slightly and began to tank slap , before i knew it we were really licking on and the car felt so unstable i darent but any kind of major input into the car as i had no idea how it was going to behave the steering was light as a feather , the traction light was flashing and the weight was shifting from right to left and gathering momentum , there was no one else in the tunnel or anything so i was only worried about hitting the wall and possibly having the run way shut haha , but in the end i managed a cool head and eased off the throttle while paddling up the gears to try and get out of the power band.

sport mode OFF... Sport gearbox OFF... comfort mode ON.... i drove like miss daisy for the rest of the day , iv driven some quick motors and iv driven some quick motors in worse conditions but i have never been caught out like that before, i genuinely think the run flats didnt help , too hard , the lack of an lsd became very apparent and the rear set up is just too hard for conditions like that, i also think the 245's on the back isnt enough.... however saying all of that it was completely my fault a ridiculous thing to do and very nearly got bit ..... go steady in this weather!!!

cheers
Well, the same thing happen to me and it was just a straight piece of road and dry.....veeeeeery scary.....ufff
M140i man. 5dr, AW, CF roof

RJW_1989
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by RJW_1989 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:45 pm

binocular wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:15 pm
Matt wrote:Haha, I know that tunnel! Glad you got away without a scratch. Take it easy.
I also know that tunnel. I’ve lost count of the number of people I’ve heard of who have been nicked for speeding at the ends of the tunnel. Plod knows that the enthusiasts amongst us like to play through there. Glad the OP didn’t hit the tunnel sides tho!

i didnt know the plod waited there , thatd been all i needed hahah ..... it was genuinely just to hear the new MPE why i did it , the weather and everything didnt even cross my mind in the tunnel it was a typical " watch this " kind of moment and the car very nearly tore a few strips off me !

lesson learnt

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”