ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am

ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by Manc M135i » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:45 pm

Had my M140i a few weeks now and covered just over 1,200 miles.

My only gripe so far are the gear changes in Sport 'gear box' are a bit inconsistent.

Sometimes when blasting through the gears with 50-100% throttle the gear change is smooth and pins you back with each transitional gear change and others are more like a thud that seems to interrupt the power rather than continue to propel you forward.

I'm pretty sure it's not T/C as it's also done it in dry conditions with warm tyres.

Does anyone else get this?

bigfellas_dad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:31 am

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by bigfellas_dad » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:19 pm

mine changes a lot more aggressively at over 3k rpm in sport mode, a real strong thud!
bmw M140i Shadow Edition Auto/MG/COG/BLACK and Honda CBR1000RR fireblade for when i want to go REALLY fast!
bmw 330i E90 SE
loads of company cars
7 Impreza STi's and 2 Lexus Soarers

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by Manc M135i » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:25 pm

But does the thud seem to interupt the power delivery momenterally?

My gripe is the thud seems to break the acceleration which in term feels like a real flat spot in acceleration.

daztovey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:16 pm

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by daztovey » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 pm

i love the thud you get with a sport gearchange - feels like you are being shot

no loss of power, just an obvious gearchange

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 797
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:03 pm

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by wenklaw » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:31 am

Manc M135i wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:45 pm
Had my M140i a few weeks now and covered just over 1,200 miles.

My only gripe so far are the gear changes in Sport 'gear box' are a bit inconsistent.

Sometimes when blasting through the gears with 50-100% throttle the gear change is smooth and pins you back with each transitional gear change and others are more like a thud that seems to interrupt the power rather than continue to propel you forward.

I'm pretty sure it's not T/C as it's also done it in dry conditions with warm tyres.

Does anyone else get this?
Is this your first auto? or your first auto in a car with the M140i's power? When I got my M135i LCI auto it was my first real experience of an auto and experienced a similar feeling to you, sometimes I seemed to catch the box out or at least that was how it felt. Took a while for me to adapt my driving and become familiar with how the auto would react under certain conditions. Ive now changed to the M2 DCT and have found once again I have needed to adapt my driving to get the best out the DCT.

ScoobyChris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by ScoobyChris » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:31 am

daztovey wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 pm
i love the thud you get with a sport gearchange - feels like you are being shot

no loss of power, just an obvious gearchange
This is the most disappointing part for me as the change seems to have been made artificially rubbish (slow and jerky like a learner) rather than the silky smooth fast changes you get in manual mode or in non-sport.

Chris

User avatar
clarkeysntfc
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 191
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:25 am

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by clarkeysntfc » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:37 am

It's engineered in to make it feel more schporty.
M140i Shadow Edition. Sport Auto. Mineral Grey. Adaptive Suspension. Adaptive LED Lights. Electric Seats. Heated Seats. Front PDC. Pro Media.
Thanks TRL :-)

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by Manc M135i » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:08 am

ScoobyChris wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:31 am
daztovey wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 pm
i love the thud you get with a sport gearchange - feels like you are being shot

no loss of power, just an obvious gearchange
This is the most disappointing part for me as the change seems to have been made artificially rubbish (slow and jerky like a learner) rather than the silky smooth fast changes you get in manual mode or in non-sport.

Chris
Exactly how I feel, I'd much rather the sports gear change be quick, progressive and smooth rather than the engineered awkward jolt.

And yes, after a manual M135i & 235i this is my 1st ZF auto.

Wanted to see if what i was experiencing was normal before just getting used to it.

Thanks guys!

WannabeaQuandt
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by WannabeaQuandt » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:14 am

My first auto too, love it aside from the exaggerated changes in sport manual.
Feels like it's either going to shake the dash to bits or make the wheels break traction. Not many complaints with the drivetrain but really wish you could turn that feature off!
Previously - E87 118d M Sport in sapphire black
Current - F20 M140i SE in alpine white

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by Manc M135i » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:22 am

Could it be coded out?

Does the jolt also happen in Sport auto rather than manual? I've pretty much been using the paddles during the run in to ensure the revs don't max out.

Will try sport auto and see how I get on.

ScoobyChris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by ScoobyChris » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:25 am

I only notice it in sport auto. In manual mode you can keep the loud pedal pinned while changing and I don't notice the jerkiness, although now people are mentioning it I'm doubting myself :D

Chris

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by Manc M135i » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:31 am

I find it less jolty @ 100% throttle, worse around 75%.

User avatar
Jamie214
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by Jamie214 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:27 pm

If you want much more improved gear shifts, fit a tuning box. I also hated the artificial kick that it gave when stock.

Gearshifts become smooth and instant.
Current: M140i 17, AW + Oyster, Auto, HK, Comfort, Adaptive, Pro Nav, Hot Seats
Previous: 118i 65, M-Sport, AW, Auto, HK, Comfort, M Sport Brakes

Manc M135i
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1379
Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:05 am

Re: ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by Manc M135i » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:45 pm

Jamie214 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:27 pm
If you want much more improved gear shifts, fit a tuning box. I also hated the artificial kick that it gave when stock.

Gearshifts become smooth and instant.
Would a JB+ help?

If so how, I thought it only increased boost?

User avatar
Jamie214
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:55 pm

ZF Gear changes (Sport mode)

Post by Jamie214 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Manc M135i wrote:
Jamie214 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:27 pm
If you want much more improved gear shifts, fit a tuning box. I also hated the artificial kick that it gave when stock.

Gearshifts become smooth and instant.
Would a JB+ help?

If so how, I thought it only increased boost?
Can’t comment on a JB+ as I’ve only tried TMC and JB4 on the M140i and both give a similar feeling when shifting. Smooth quick shift followed by loads of boost shoving you in the back.

I ran standard on my way home from work today due to icy roads and was getting irritated by the kicks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: M140i 17, AW + Oyster, Auto, HK, Comfort, Adaptive, Pro Nav, Hot Seats
Previous: 118i 65, M-Sport, AW, Auto, HK, Comfort, M Sport Brakes

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”