Which Bilstein upgrade?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Which Bilstein upgrade?

Post by Peter.V » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:05 am

What are your experiences with the Bilstein B6 dampers vs the B12 pro kit on the m140i with passive suspension?
I’m seriously thinking about improving the handling and get rid of some of the bounciness, but I’d like to keep the comfort at slower speeds and I wouldn’t mind not changing the ride height a great deal.
Peter
M140i 5-door, Auto, MG with oyster and fineline + Bilstein B12 coilover kit

duderuud

Re: Which Bilstein upgrade?

Post by duderuud » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:33 am

Wondering the same. M140i arriving soon, also passive.

But hearing warranty issues also so hesitant to customize the car.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:15 am

Peter.V wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:05 am
What are your experiences with the Bilstein B6 dampers vs the B12 pro kit on the m140i with passive suspension?
I’m seriously thinking about improving the handling and get rid of some of the bounciness, but I’d like to keep the comfort at slower speeds and I wouldn’t mind not changing the ride height a great deal.
I think I'd be looking at the B12 Kit, as it's all been specifically designed and matched together.

B8's on their own would probably be an improvement, but wouldn't solve the issue of the (unusually high) rear spring rate.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 pm

I can only comment on B16 complete kit. Works brilliantly, and with 10 stage damper compression/rebound adjustment, there is a firmness level that will suit your needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:25 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 pm
I can only comment on B16 complete kit. Works brilliantly, and with 10 stage damper compression/rebound adjustment, there is a firmness level that will suit your needs.

What’s the cost of the b16 kit? I’m changing the car in 12 months, so don’t want to spend big money on it.
Peter

McTrucky
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by McTrucky » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:05 pm

Hi Pete,

I went through a similar thought process. This is pasted from an emain I recieved from a supplier:

"you have the Msport suspension being the M140i then you only have 1 option for damper which is the B8, however this does not work with any model with electronic suspension control.

The reason the B8 is your only choice of damper is because your car is lower then other variants of this chassis.

It is typically around 20% firmer but again this would be a general figure and against standard chassis vehicle being the M it would be more similar, but you should see an improvement in handling, a lot of people do look at this damper to help with it being more comfortable as they are better built and often reduce ‘crashy and bangy’ rides. It will be very much suited to track use and fast road set ups.

If your looking to go for the a kit,

Then the B12 would be ideal, this is the B8 damper but uses an Eibach spring you would not see much lowering most likely around 10-15mm, however Eibachs pro-kit are very specially designed springs which would allow for a more comfortable everyday ride, but does firm up nice when you put your foot down round a corner offering more stability and performance.

If your looking a very special set up then we do offer the B16 ride control coilover for your model.

This would allow you to retrofit a button into the vehicle to change the dampening rates from soft to firm. This is a coilover kit so would be firmer but the adjustability in dampening and height allows you to get it to exactly what you need.

We do offer B16’s which would be cheaper but without the button to change, you would have to do these manually."

I went for the b12 as i didn't want to retro fit any cabling or switches in the car, and didn't think I would be bothered with the phaff of adjusting each corner manually. Costwise, the b12 was about £700, and the b16 would have been about £1700. Plus fitting.

I have no regrets, car is much nicer on poor surfaces.
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Lots of bells and whistles; Could do with a wash;

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Which Bilstein upgrade?

Post by NISFAN » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:15 pm

Peter.V wrote:
NISFAN wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:33 pm

What’s the cost of the b16 kit? I’m changing the car in 12 months, so don’t want to spend big money on it.
About £1400-1500 delivered.

If only keeping for 12 months, I would think you’d get £750 back if you were to sell them then. Just fitting costs to cover.

M240i Auto

andydavy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andydavy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:04 pm

i have b12 kit - its brilliant. paid £560 direct from germany via ebay

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:19 pm

I think around £7-£800 fitted is acceptable for 12 months. Might get a few hundred back after I used the set too.
andydavy wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:04 pm
i have b12 kit - its brilliant. paid £560 direct from germany via ebay
How much was fitting?
Peter

JAJ

Post by JAJ » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:46 am

To people with the B12 kit, how do you find the front ride height? Most of the threads / pictures I have seen have a strong front rake which puts me off.

Like the OP I have a passive m240i which I would like to improve the ride with minimal lowering.

KR15
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by KR15 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:24 am

I've also been considering the B12 kit. I found this on eBay which seems a really good price. Not sure what I'd be looking at for fitting?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1377997400

However it doesn't specify which model of car it's for. Am I missing something here? It also says lowers by 30mm. Can I assume it's 30mm off non M Sport models which are 10mm higher standard?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Current - BMW M140i, BCS Powervalve Cat Back :twisted:
Prev - Focus ST-3 Mk3.5 :D

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:40 am

JAJ wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:46 am
Most of the threads / pictures I have seen have a strong front rake which puts me off.
Link please?

Mine is an M135i, so we're not comparing apples with apples, but it reduced the standard rake by 8mm:

Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

ant@apautomotive
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by ant@apautomotive » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:15 pm

If anyone is interested in any Bilstein products, we would be happy to provide quotes.

Feel free to drop us an email to sales@apautomotive.com

Ant
AP Automotive
Servicing - Diagnostics - Performance

T: 01952 794024
E: info@apautomotive.com
W: www.apautomotive.com / www.ap-performance.co.uk
F: www.facebook.com/apautomotivetelford

andydavy
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by andydavy » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:33 pm

no more than 10mm drop and about 1hr per corner fitting plus 4wheel alignment

Stueys

Post by Stueys » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:38 pm

How much difference would something like the B12 kit make?

I always had visions of chipping my M240 but, having had the car 3 months, I’ve worked out that there’s a lot of untapped potential from the existing power before I need to think about uplifting it. Does the car need an LSD to really hit it’s potential or would a kit make a step change?

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”