Which Bilstein upgrade?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, babybmwadmin, Lambster, Rich196

Goon
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Which Bilstein upgrade?

Post by Goon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:55 pm

I have searched the net for a B12 kit for my m240 and can see nothing listed anywhere, whats up.

hasser
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by hasser » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Goon wrote:I have searched the net for a B12 kit for my m240 and can see nothing listed anywhere, whats up.
For m235 part is

Check that for m240

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:22 pm

Goon wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:55 pm
I have searched the net for a B12 kit for my m240 and can see nothing listed anywhere, whats up.
Is it not the same as M140i?
Peter
M140i 5-door, Auto, MG with oyster and fineline + Bilstein B12 coilover kit

Fitzy2008

Re: Which Bilstein upgrade? NOW FITTED

Post by Fitzy2008 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Peter.V wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:36 pm
Bilstein B12 kit was fitted on Monday. All I can say is WOW!!!

Only tested it around town due to the weather, but the car no longer crashes into potholes, it now glides over them. Even my wife noticed how we used to slam the rear down coming off speed bumps, I’m guessing due to the extremely stiff rear springs. Now, the car just glides down, amazing!

Overall, the Mlite finally feels like it’s no longer bouncing along the road. With the B12 kit it feels like the wheels are following the imperfections of the road, not the whole chassis.

Here is a link I found comparing the F30 shocks to the Bilstein ones:

https://youtu.be/TxE0qZKF4wE

My car has only done 18k miles, but upon performing this test in the garage, I found the results were exactly the same... Best money I’ve spent on a car so far!
Now the b12 has been on the car for a while how do you find it now? Also did you fit the kit yourself? I’m really interested in this kit and would be interested in your opinion! Also what is the drop on the car now it’s settled?

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:54 pm

I had the first proper run out last Friday over the hills. It was amazing, so much confidence in the car, even on winter tyres... :roll: What I can feel already is how quickly the car settles itself after a bump on the road. Got rid of all the floatiness and even turn in seems to have improved, although that could be just placebo. Very happy so far!

Rented a car lift and an “apprentice” at my local, friendly mechanic’s place and we fitted it together. Took about 4 hours. I wish I had it done as soon as I got the car, really...
Peter

Fitzy2008

Post by Fitzy2008 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm

Sounds like money well spent and looks like it gets rid of the cars slight handling issues. Was it tricky to fit or easy enough?

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:35 am

This thread is very interesting. I've been very disappointed with my m240i from a ride/handling/steering feel perspective and it seems like the B12 kit may address some of these issues, and at a sensible cost.

Few questions for those who've had it done:-
1. Does it improve steering at all?
2. Do you have to add some negative camber to get that improvement? Worried about additional tyre wear as I do a high mileage
3. I understand it lowers the car slightly by about 10-20mm. Any problems with usability, such as speed humps, car park ramps etc?
4. If I wanted to revert to standard system, there would be no visability of the change?
5. Which Bilstein system is the Birds suspension based on? I understand it is a tweaked Bilstein kit, but at much more money.

Thanks
Last edited by zabba1 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAJ

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:45 am

This thread inspired me to order the B12 kit for my 240. Kit arrives tomorrow and I plan to fit it this weekend.
I will be back with my review :drive:

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:29 am

zabba1 wrote:This thread is very interesting. I've been very disappointed with my m240i from a ride/handling/steering feel perspective and it seems like the B12 kit may address some of these issues, and at a sensible cost.

Few questions for those who've had it done:-
1. Does it improve steering at all?
2. Do you have to add some negative camber to get that improvement? Worried about additional tyre wear as I do a high mileage
3. I understand it lowers the car slightly by about 10-20mm. Any problems with usability, such as speed humps, car park ramps etc?
4. If I wanted to revert to standard system, there would be no visability of the change?
5. Which Bilstein system is the Birds suspension based on? I understand it is a tweaked Bilstein kit, but at much more money.

Thanks
1. Yes, the car is more direct, less floaty.
2. No, you can run stock alignment.
3. Unless you have a splitter, should be no different in most cases.
4. Can revert with no tell tale signs.
5. Avoid Birds, the standard B12 is great by all accounts, if you want more then B16.
6. Do it.....Now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

zabba1
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by zabba1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:49 am

NISFAN wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:29 am

5. Avoid Birds, the standard B12 is great by all accounts, if you want more then B16.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wasn't intending to pay their prices! just interested to know which of the bilstein systems theirs is based on.

KR15
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by KR15 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 pm

Peter.V wrote:I had the first proper run out last Friday over the hills. It was amazing, so much confidence in the car, even on winter tyres... :roll: What I can feel already is how quickly the car settles itself after a bump on the road. Got rid of all the floatiness and even turn in seems to have improved, although that could be just placebo. Very happy so far!

Rented a car lift and an “apprentice” at my local, friendly mechanic’s place and we fitted it together. Took about 4 hours. I wish I had it done as soon as I got the car, really...
Peter do you have a link to where you bought these from? It's bonus month soon... :)

Apologies if you've already shared and I've missed it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Current - BMW M140i, BCS Powervalve Cat Back :twisted:
Prev - Focus ST-3 Mk3.5 :D

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:30 pm

Fitzy2008 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm
Sounds like money well spent and looks like it gets rid of the cars slight handling issues. Was it tricky to fit or easy enough?
Fitting is relative... the mechanic I worked with was positively bored when we weren’t talking, but I found the front ones tricky.
Peter

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:31 pm

KR15 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:29 pm
Peter.V wrote:I had the first proper run out last Friday over the hills. It was amazing, so much confidence in the car, even on winter tyres... :roll: What I can feel already is how quickly the car settles itself after a bump on the road. Got rid of all the floatiness and even turn in seems to have improved, although that could be just placebo. Very happy so far!

Peter do you have a link to where you bought these from? It's bonus month soon... :)

I bought the set second hand from someone on this forum, but Demon Tweeks was the best offer I got.
Peter

KR15
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by KR15 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm

Peter.V wrote:
KR15 wrote:

I bought the set second hand from someone on this forum, but Demon Tweeks was the best offer I got.
Thanks.

Did you call Demon Tweens? Their website suggests 0 Bilstein kits available when selecting either M135i or M140i.

I assume the kit is the same. Does anyone know the part no?

Current - BMW M140i, BCS Powervalve Cat Back :twisted:
Prev - Focus ST-3 Mk3.5 :D

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:34 pm

KR15 wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 pm
Peter.V wrote:
KR15 wrote:

Thanks.

Did you call Demon Tweens? Their website suggests 0 Bilstein kits available when selecting either M135i or M140i.

I assume the kit is the same. Does anyone know the part no?

I emailed them. They’ll send you everything over and can also quote fitted prices if you’re near Wrexham.
Peter

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”