Who has points on their license?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Who has points on their license?

Post by Peter9588 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:41 pm

I believe i am going to be the lucky recipient of 4 points some time in the next 10 days.

Pulled onto a dual carriage way, thought the road was definitely 50. Went through a camera at i think around 43-45, got flashed. There were no speed limits displayed on the road, prior to the camera, which now i know means the road has be a 30. https://goo.gl/maps/RWvzyUHRetA2

It seems to be one of those awful cameras which doesnt slow people down, just catches a lot of people. 20k odd in 3 years.

Right now I'm gutted as I've only owned my 135 for about 3 months and I feel like i'll now be continually worrying every time i drive it. 11 years clean license up to now. One other really frustrating thing is the lack of road speed limit displayed on the bmw pro nav system. If i was in my old car, with my stand alone sat nav, i never would have been going over the limit.

Wondering how many others have points/ generally feeling sorry for myself.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by NISFAN » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Easily done, that’s why SLD is a must for me.

Hope the camera didn’t have film in it for your sake, as that is above the cut off for a speed awareness course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Octavius » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Film ?
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Octavius wrote:Film ?
Yes older Gatso types were all ‘wet film’ when introduced. Many have been upgraded to digital, but not all.

M240i Auto

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by McTrucky » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:12 pm

I specified the speed limit display, and reckon it is a waste of money. Not as accurate as I'd hoped for, and I tend not to have it in that display mode. However, I did buy a garmin dashcam that alerts you to speed cameras, stating what the limit is and what your actual speed is. I really like that and is probably why I am down on the BMW Speed Limit Display.
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Peter9588 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:24 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm
Octavius wrote:Film ?
Yes older Gatso types were all ‘wet film’ when introduced. Many have been upgraded to digital, but not all.

It’s a Truvelo, digital, I have heard that some of my other half’s family have been flashed by it and not received anything. However I don’t think it will be the case as it is such a prolific camera.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Peter9588 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:26 pm

McTrucky wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:12 pm
I specified the speed limit display, and reckon it is a waste of money. Not as accurate as I'd hoped for, and I tend not to have it in that display mode. However, I did buy a garmin dashcam that alerts you to speed cameras, stating what the limit is and what your actual speed is. I really like that and is probably why I am down on the BMW Speed Limit Display.
I don’t understand why Bmw don’t include speed limit display using the gps in the nav, like most other sat navs do. The £1000 pro nav is genuinely worse than my £100 garmin.

kylemacca01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by kylemacca01 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Why would it be 4pts? Realistically 43-45 on the Speedo is likely 41-43 which should see you on a speed awareness course. 3pts and £100 if not.

Gatsods

Post by Gatsods » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:27 pm

NISFAN wrote:Easily done, that’s why SLD is a must for me.

Hope the camera didn’t have film in it for your sake, as that is above the cut off for a speed awareness course.

I'd disagree - got waved into a layby by an officer with a radar gun 18 months ago with 5 years driving experience, clean license until then.

44mph in a 30 (they sat at the very bottom of a steep but brief hill concealed by a bush - I won't detail my thoughts on that tactic!) and I got the speed awareness course.

Fingers crossed for you OP! Happy New Year to all Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by NISFAN » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:47 pm

Gatsods wrote:

I'd disagree - got waved into a layby by an officer with a radar gun 18 months ago with 5 years driving experience, clean license until then.

44mph in a 30 (they sat at the very bottom of a steep but brief hill concealed by a bush - I won't detail my thoughts on that tactic!) and I got the speed awareness course.

Ok the speed awareness course speed eligibility might be different in different regions then? I was told that 42 / 30 was above the cut off limit for Derbyshire.

M240i Auto

Gatsods

Post by Gatsods » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:49 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Gatsods wrote:

Ok the speed awareness course speed eligibility might be different in different regions then? I was told that 42 / 30 was above the cut off limit for Derbyshire.

Ah fair, perhaps. To be honest I thought there was no way I was going to be offered it at the time as it felt like a pretty high margin.

Don't think I had much further to go though to be honest before it wouldn't have been an option.

ScoobyChris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by ScoobyChris » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:54 pm

Here's the guidelines:

FWIW, I currently have 3 points (received 2 weeks after my previous 3 points expired on my licence :lol: ) and it made pretty much zero difference come insurance renewal time.

Chris

moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by moulin12 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Next time, come to Coventry: we have no (active) speed cameras :spotman:
F22 M240i 8AT

Octavius

Post by Octavius » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:05 pm

So looking at the above table I can happily drive at 67 in a 60 and never get done for speeding. I doubt that very much in our area.
Why ? A friend of mine is just about to do the Speed Awareness Course for 34 in a 30.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Ezzra » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:06 pm

9 points.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”