Who has points on their license?

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Who has points on their license?

Post by Peter9588 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:41 pm

I believe i am going to be the lucky recipient of 4 points some time in the next 10 days.

Pulled onto a dual carriage way, thought the road was definitely 50. Went through a camera at i think around 43-45, got flashed. There were no speed limits displayed on the road, prior to the camera, which now i know means the road has be a 30. https://goo.gl/maps/RWvzyUHRetA2

It seems to be one of those awful cameras which doesnt slow people down, just catches a lot of people. 20k odd in 3 years.

Right now I'm gutted as I've only owned my 135 for about 3 months and I feel like i'll now be continually worrying every time i drive it. 11 years clean license up to now. One other really frustrating thing is the lack of road speed limit displayed on the bmw pro nav system. If i was in my old car, with my stand alone sat nav, i never would have been going over the limit.

Wondering how many others have points/ generally feeling sorry for myself.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by NISFAN » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Easily done, that’s why SLD is a must for me.

Hope the camera didn’t have film in it for your sake, as that is above the cut off for a speed awareness course.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

User avatar
Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 19414
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: In The Land Of The Romps

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by Octavius » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:17 pm

Film ?
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by NISFAN » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm

Octavius wrote:Film ?
Yes older Gatso types were all ‘wet film’ when introduced. Many have been upgraded to digital, but not all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

McTrucky
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 592
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm
Location: Surrey

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by McTrucky » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:12 pm

I specified the speed limit display, and reckon it is a waste of money. Not as accurate as I'd hoped for, and I tend not to have it in that display mode. However, I did buy a garmin dashcam that alerts you to speed cameras, stating what the limit is and what your actual speed is. I really like that and is probably why I am down on the BMW Speed Limit Display.
M140i Auto; Met Grey with Black Interior; MPower LSD; Bilstein B12; Underbody Brace; Lots of bells and whistles; Shinier than a new pin since I caught the cleaning bug... Give it a month...

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by Peter9588 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:24 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm
Octavius wrote:Film ?
Yes older Gatso types were all ‘wet film’ when introduced. Many have been upgraded to digital, but not all.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s a Truvelo, digital, I have heard that some of my other half’s family have been flashed by it and not received anything. However I don’t think it will be the case as it is such a prolific camera.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member
Posts: 162
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:57 pm

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by Peter9588 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:26 pm

McTrucky wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:12 pm
I specified the speed limit display, and reckon it is a waste of money. Not as accurate as I'd hoped for, and I tend not to have it in that display mode. However, I did buy a garmin dashcam that alerts you to speed cameras, stating what the limit is and what your actual speed is. I really like that and is probably why I am down on the BMW Speed Limit Display.
I don’t understand why Bmw don’t include speed limit display using the gps in the nav, like most other sat navs do. The £1000 pro nav is genuinely worse than my £100 garmin.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon

kylemacca01
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 908
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:21 pm

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by kylemacca01 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Why would it be 4pts? Realistically 43-45 on the Speedo is likely 41-43 which should see you on a speed awareness course. 3pts and £100 if not.

Gatsods
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by Gatsods » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:27 pm

NISFAN wrote:Easily done, that’s why SLD is a must for me.

Hope the camera didn’t have film in it for your sake, as that is above the cut off for a speed awareness course.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd disagree - got waved into a layby by an officer with a radar gun 18 months ago with 5 years driving experience, clean license until then.

44mph in a 30 (they sat at the very bottom of a steep but brief hill concealed by a bush - I won't detail my thoughts on that tactic!) and I got the speed awareness course.

Fingers crossed for you OP! Happy New Year to all Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


User avatar
NISFAN
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:46 pm
Location: Bedfordshire

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by NISFAN » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:47 pm

Gatsods wrote:
NISFAN wrote:Easily done, that’s why SLD is a must for me.

Hope the camera didn’t have film in it for your sake, as that is above the cut off for a speed awareness course.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd disagree - got waved into a layby by an officer with a radar gun 18 months ago with 5 years driving experience, clean license until then.

44mph in a 30 (they sat at the very bottom of a steep but brief hill concealed by a bush - I won't detail my thoughts on that tactic!) and I got the speed awareness course.

Fingers crossed for you OP! Happy New Year to all Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Ok the speed awareness course speed eligibility might be different in different regions then? I was told that 42 / 30 was above the cut off limit for Derbyshire.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M240i Auto

Gatsods
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by Gatsods » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:49 pm

NISFAN wrote:
Gatsods wrote:
NISFAN wrote:Easily done, that’s why SLD is a must for me.

Hope the camera didn’t have film in it for your sake, as that is above the cut off for a speed awareness course.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd disagree - got waved into a layby by an officer with a radar gun 18 months ago with 5 years driving experience, clean license until then.

44mph in a 30 (they sat at the very bottom of a steep but brief hill concealed by a bush - I won't detail my thoughts on that tactic!) and I got the speed awareness course.

Fingers crossed for you OP! Happy New Year to all Image

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Ok the speed awareness course speed eligibility might be different in different regions then? I was told that 42 / 30 was above the cut off limit for Derbyshire.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah fair, perhaps. To be honest I thought there was no way I was going to be offered it at the time as it felt like a pretty high margin.

Don't think I had much further to go though to be honest before it wouldn't have been an option.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk


ScoobyChris
Experienced Member
Experienced Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:23 pm

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by ScoobyChris » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:54 pm

Here's the guidelines:

Image

FWIW, I currently have 3 points (received 2 weeks after my previous 3 points expired on my licence :lol: ) and it made pretty much zero difference come insurance renewal time.

Chris

User avatar
moulin12
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 1375
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:05 pm

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by moulin12 » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:59 pm

Next time, come to Coventry: we have no (active) speed cameras :spotman:
F22 M240i 8AT

User avatar
Octavius
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Too Much Time To Waste Member
Posts: 19414
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:51 pm
Location: In The Land Of The Romps

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by Octavius » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:05 pm

So looking at the above table I can happily drive at 67 in a 60 and never get done for speeding. I doubt that very much in our area.
Why ? A friend of mine is just about to do the Speed Awareness Course for 34 in a 30.
DEFECTED TO SKODA.

User avatar
Ezzra
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:54 pm

Re: Who has points on their license?

Post by Ezzra » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:06 pm

9 points.
"You cannot sedate, all that you hate".

Post Reply

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”