Thinking of buying an M135i or M140i

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

Superlevure
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Re: Thinking of buying an M135i or M140i

Post by Superlevure » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:44 am

None of the gearbox whining ever resulted in a failure, but BMW will change it under the warranty. Mine was fine until 45k miles, then it started whining. I only had it replaced because of the resale value, otherwise frankly I wouldn't be bothered. Nit-picking.

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 am

Wilkinnn wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 am
I've read a little about the Whining issues, have any of them subsequently ended in a gearbox failure? So if it has a whine at all walk away from it?

Some of the posts people say they all have a small whine and some say its bearable. Approved used are a one year warranty so I assume if I pick it up and it develops get straight back to them.

But surely if looking at AU then if there is a whine it would have developed by 10-20k miles?
Faulty boxes usually rear their head fairly early on, so easy to spot. Much more of a lottery if buying brand new.

I don't think a box has catastrophically failed, but re-selling a car with an uncomfortably loud cockpit could prove tricky.

I'd walk away from a whiny car, there are far more problem-free cars than problematic ones, plenty of good ones to chose from.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Wilkinnn

Post by Wilkinnn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:08 pm

Thanks for that info bro.

Would anyone know if there is a fee if I order a car from another branch at my local one or is it best to liaise with them direct and get it sent up?

Fair to say I am very much looking forward to getting one.

I have heard a lot about snow tyres and that they are a must for the winter. Not having owned a RWD car ever, I hear they are much better in the snow with the winter tread.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:17 pm

Most dealerships are independent franchises, although some owners do have more than site.

Cooper BMW won't ship a car to an Arden BMW dealership, for example.

Winter wheels and tyres can be a sensible idea if you need to stay mobile in Scotland, read the FAQ Sticky thread.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

BobS61
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BobS61 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 pm

I would liaise with them direct and see what they can do. The dealers are independent, although there are some chains with multiple branches. You could ask them to do a video for you of the car to take a look at it from a distance, which is what the dealer did for me with my car.

balders

Post by balders » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:45 pm

BobS61 wrote:I would liaise with them direct and see what they can do. The dealers are independent, although there are some chains with multiple branches. You could ask them to do a video for you of the car to take a look at it from a distance, which is what the dealer did for me with my car.
I went to look at am approved used from Williams BMW last year and they sent me a video before viewing. Helps both sides know that they are interested and not wasting time.

I'd definitely ask for one.

I'm definitely going for an auto so thanks guys for the advice. I'll keep my beady little ears listening out for any whining!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

ReGenesis
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ReGenesis » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:41 pm

They changed my box with a decision that didn't see them leaving the forecourt.
Tech was outside as I pulled in and authorised it there and then!
Keep an ear out for brake disk clicking too - getting more common now and only on the M-Sport brakes.
Its due to corrosion between the disk and hub throwing the disc out under load.
Only happens cornering though - not usually loud enough to be heard at all if the windows are closed so make sure.
There is a factory fix for it on a chassis basis from germany.
F21 135i pre-lci, AW, 3dr, CR, HK and an ever increasing toy list :D
For sale.

danr

Post by danr » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:41 pm

m135i with high spec then.

N55 sounds miles better than the b58 in the m140i, even though thats also a great engine it's proving to have some teething issues whereas the n55 in the m135i is solid and extremely reliable. M140i is more powerful but not by much at all and rolling pulls show there really is nothing in it between the models anyway.

BigWill

Post by BigWill » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:13 am

M140i with auto box, you'll not regret it.

Wilkinnn

Post by Wilkinnn » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:44 pm

Cheers again everyone, was meant to be called back for a test drive but not heard back yet!

Hoping still to test drive both cars but we shall see, after I test drive the 140i I might not want to test the 135i haha.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”