Thinking of buying an M135i or M140i

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

Wilkinnn

Thinking of buying an M135i or M140i

Post by Wilkinnn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 am

Good morning all,

I thought I would introduce myself to the forums, my name is Neil and I am from Scotland and I've been thinking of getting an approved used M135i or M140i as my next car. I started my driving life in a 1.3 Fiesta Flight and have since moved on to have the following motors;

1.6 Fiesta Zetec S (2001)
2.5 Focus ST
2004 Impreza WRX STI
1.6 1.6 Fiesta Zetec S (2009)
2004 Impreza WRX STI (AGAIN!) - which is my current car

So I have gotten used to faster motors but have always loved the look of the M135i or M140i models recently. I've been doing my homework on here and around the web and I am fairly certain I want one but I don't know which haha.

So what's the general consensus on the differences? Am I right in saying the M140i is more powerful but also more planted in the corners? The thing is, for the same money, I can get a 135i with all the bells and whistles.

I am looking at grey, with the cruise control, parking sensors, sat-nav and I want the automatic gearbox as well. I hear its better to stay away from run flats?

I am just looking forward to having a car that not only has power but has all the gadgets as well, something I've never really had before :roll: .

Any suggestions would be excellent!

Thanks in advance

Cookiemk6

Re: Thinking of buying an M135i or M140i

Post by Cookiemk6 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:52 am

Welcome to the Forum!

The M140i is more powerful, and also is better on fuel! I was in the same boat and went for an M140i, it was nice to have a newer car!

Really depends on budget too!

Compactpete
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Compactpete » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:01 am

Hi, nothing will guide you more than an extended test drive.

Just be aware that compared to most on your list of previous cars the M135i/M140i is more GT cruiser than hot hatch, although either will be comfortably quicker than any of them...in a straight line.

The STI is in particular a very capable car with an amazing chassis as I'm sure you know, I had one new in 2003, it would leave an Mlite for dead on any road with bends lol.

So as I said take as long a test drive as you can on your choice of roads just to be sure.
Now - E92 M3, DCT, Comp Pack, Alpine White.

Gone - 2016 M135i

Tricky401
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tricky401 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:16 am

i agree with above you need to drive both

it also depends how your going to finance the car and then also how much you value the options

you could probably get a fully loaded 135 with minimal miles or a lighter spec 140 for roughly the same on the used market

there are also slightly more tuning options for the 135 although the 140market will catch up soon

either way you won’t be dissapointed
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

Peter.V
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Peter.V » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:44 am

If you’re financing, go for the 140, otherwise I wouldn’t stretch my budget too much to get the newer model. The 135i is every bit as great (and has the same problems) as the 140.
Peter
M140i 5-door, Auto, MG with oyster and fineline + Bilstein B12 kit

Peter9588
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Peter9588 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:00 am

Have you considered a fiesta or impreza?

in all seriousness, I had the same dilemma. Decided I would rather own a 135i outright, rather than pay finance on a 140. it also meant I could get all the options I wanted.
M135i, 64 plate, MG, Auto, Sunroof, Pro Nav, Electric Heated seats, Harman Kardon

Wilkinnn

Post by Wilkinnn » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks for the kind words and welcome guys!

I am dead cert on having one or the other for sure,

but I will definitely test drive both now and see what I prefer! With Approved Used does looking at other branches help? Like will they share amongst each other because none of the ones I've see would be up here in Aberdeen.

I think it will be entirely different from the Subaru but I'm keen to move on from them. Its on all the time if you know what I mean it doesn't have a 'civilised' mode. Always loud. Always brash. So a GT cruiser is up my street for sure especially with a lot of trips home.

I just ran a check and found a 140i that ticks all the boxes for me but I did notice the 10.9 APR. I've read on here that that's certainly negotiable?? so I think I could meet my target budget as well if I can get movement on the prices.

Not selling the Subaru until April but excited now!!

OneTwenty
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by OneTwenty » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:31 am

I've had a Focus ST and driven many many Impreza's in my old Scooby days and whilst AWD is amazing, the Mx40i's are just a brilliant all round car and you won't be disappointed. :)

My 240 would run rings round my old Focus ST in every way, and that was tuned up to 300bhp ish.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

Tricky401
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Tricky401 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:33 am

10.9% is negotiable but some dealers don’t budge. that’s when it sometimes makes sense to go new as you get a better rate, i think it’s 4.9 currently

alternatively take a low rate loan around 3% if your buying a used model
M135 5door, mineral Grey,black Dakota , auto, comfort pack + front Pdc, pro nav, adaptive sus, adaptive LEDs, reverse cam, sunroof, shadeband, sun protection, folding mirrors, load through, heated seats. First ever auto and BMW

balders

Post by balders » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of BMW having come from Alfa Romeo for the last 4 years. My mates Z4M helped me make the decision that I wanted some creamy smooth straight 6 action in my life! So rather than start a new thread I thought I'd tag onto this, so apologies to the OP if this thread goes on a tangent.

For my budget (approx. £16-17k) I am looking at the 135i. Having never owned a BMW before I am unsure of known 1 series issues or ay BMW'isms to look out for. I've had a quick search for a buying guide but not found anything. I quick search of other posts has led to one from 2016 which pointed out the water pump is liable to fail at about 75k miles (just like on Alfa's!).

Does anyone have any advice they could share?

Cheers in advance! :)

Wilkinnn

Post by Wilkinnn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:49 am

Thanks all,

That's me phoned up and booked a test drive for an M140i :)

I asked the question whether they share stock across the country. Seems they do if they are getting a sale! Looking forward to getting a shot in one. They were obviously searching for a sale off of me for the one that I am test driving but obvs need to make sure I test it before I buy!

The one they were offering is a red ex demo, I've not seen too many in red to be fair, but I'm not sure if it will suit. Used to thinking red only suits Ferrari's

balders

Post by balders » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:15 am

Wilkinnn wrote:Thanks all,

That's me phoned up and booked a test drive for an M140i :)

I asked the question whether they share stock across the country. Seems they do if they are getting a sale! Looking forward to getting a shot in one. They were obviously searching for a sale off of me for the one that I am test driving but obvs need to make sure I test it before I buy!

The one they were offering is a red ex demo, I've not seen too many in red to be fair, but I'm not sure if it will suit. Used to thinking red only suits Ferrari's
Esteril blue or carbon grey is what I'm looking for. Not sure the red is vivid enough!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 am

balders wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Hi everyone,

I am new to the world of BMW having come from Alfa Romeo for the last 4 years. My mates Z4M helped me make the decision that I wanted some creamy smooth straight 6 action in my life! So rather than start a new thread I thought I'd tag onto this, so apologies to the OP if this thread goes on a tangent.

For my budget (approx. £16-17k) I am looking at the 135i. Having never owned a BMW before I am unsure of known 1 series issues or ay BMW'isms to look out for. I've had a quick search for a buying guide but not found anything. I quick search of other posts has led to one from 2016 which pointed out the water pump is liable to fail at about 75k miles (just like on Alfa's!).

Does anyone have any advice they could share?

Cheers in advance! :)
If you're going Auto, listen out for any whining noises. Usually rears its head in 2nd gear initially, and gets worse from there. £8,000 for a replacement from BMW.

Otherwise they're generally pretty good, N55 is basically bulletproof if serviced correctly.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

Wilkinnn

Post by Wilkinnn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 am

marco_polo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:59 am

If you're going Auto, listen out for any whining noises. Usually rears its head in 2nd gear initially, and gets worse from there. £8,000 for a replacement from BMW.

Otherwise they're generally pretty good, N55 is basically bulletproof if serviced correctly.
I've read a little about the Whining issues, have any of them subsequently ended in a gearbox failure? So if it has a whine at all walk away from it?

Some of the posts people say they all have a small whine and some say its bearable. Approved used are a one year warranty so I assume if I pick it up and it develops get straight back to them.

But surely if looking at AU then if there is a whine it would have developed by 10-20k miles?

BobS61
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BobS61 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 am

Tricky401 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:33 am
10.9% is negotiable but some dealers don’t budge. that’s when it sometimes makes sense to go new as you get a better rate, i think it’s 4.9 currently

alternatively take a low rate loan around 3% if your buying a used model
That's what I did, went used and got a loan at 2.9%. I got a 9 month old 140i with the auto box, pro media and nav, heated seats, metalic paint, five door, sun protection glass, cruise control and rear parking sensors with 4900 miles on the clock for £25350, from a BMW dealer. The loan payments are £221 over 4 years and the total amount of interest I am paying is £600. At the end of that it will be fully paid for.
Last edited by BobS61 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”