Too Much Time To Waste Member

Re: ANOTHER attempted theft

Post by Paul CS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:31 pm

Timbartlett wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:40 pm
Paul CS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm
I’m pretty much in East London. I have a stainless steel pull up bollard and a Ring door bell. Touch wood, no issues.

By the way, I think the Ring door bell is way better than CCTV because it tells you the second anyone comes on you land no matter where you are in the world and it is recorded. Within in a few seconds that footage and be sent to the police.

Glad all was well in the end.

Paul
Paul mate, can I ask how much the bollard cost you? I’ve been looking into them but the ones that lay flat, obviously the pull out ones are better but would probably need a pro to fit it?
Sure, I have exactly this https://www.bollardsdirect.co.uk/collec ... ic-bollard. Shop around. I think I paid £350.

I had it fitted when I had the drive done (when I got my first M135i in Sept 2014), before the hardcore, cement and blocks went down so it is totally rock solid.

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

Two's Company
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Two's Company » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 am

I had an attempted theft when I had an M135i a couple of years ago. I upped security on the house after it. I prefer physical security to act as a deterrent rather than CCTV that just needs a balaclava to overcome.

Out of interest I just checked how much it would be to insure an M140i now and it’s 2.5x more than 2 years ago. The stats have caught up with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

135i King
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by 135i King » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:34 pm

What area of heywood are you in bud? I'm in heywood and I'm just waiting for the night to come...

BobS61
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BobS61 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Two's Company wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 am
I had an attempted theft when I had an M135i a couple of years ago. I upped security on the house after it. I prefer physical security to act as a deterrent rather than CCTV that just needs a balaclava to overcome.

Out of interest I just checked how much it would be to insure an M140i now and it’s 2.5x more than 2 years ago. The stats have caught up with them.

My annual premium for my M140i is £441 with a £250 excess. It's double what I was paying one my previous car (Seat Leon 1.4TSi) but oh so worth it :D

dape90
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

ANOTHER attempted theft

Post by dape90 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:18 pm

I know I am coming to this thread a little late. A friend of mine from South Africa told me that he had a lot of cars stollen. And in the end he went out a purchased two motorcycle chains (the ones with the plastic sleeve that covers the metal) and put them through his back wheels with the mother of all pad locks.
The beauty of this solution is that if you place the padlock on the inside of the wheel it’s very unlikely anyone will see this in the middle of the night.
So inevitably someone did have a crack at stealing his car and let’s just say the didn’t get very far down the road
Yes it cause a bit of damage but I believe he got quite a bit of satisfaction when he grab the s#%t trying to nick the car.
Obviously we don’t all live in South Africa. And we don’t have fire arms in the draw next to our beds like he does . However, the chain idea through the back wheels is not to bad at all.

M135i

Timbartlett

Post by Timbartlett » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:31 pm

135i King wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:34 pm
What area of heywood are you in bud? I'm in heywood and I'm just waiting for the night to come...
Heap bridge matey.

Nathan135i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nathan135i » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Paul CS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm
I’m pretty much in East London. I have a stainless steel pull up bollard and a Ring door bell. Touch wood, no issues.

By the way, I think the Ring door bell is way better than CCTV because it tells you the second anyone comes on you land no matter where you are in the world and it is recorded. Within in a few seconds that footage and be sent to the police.

Glad all was well in the end.

Paul
I've looked into the Ring Doorbell system but not sure if it's worth it. You could wire a POE Camera that covers 100% Field of view of your front driveway and the road. With motion alerts to email, nas, cloud and view on any device. Installation and storage are the main issue that will take time and money.

Ring is simple but easily defeated with a hammer and the quality/fov looks poor. May not suit many people as it has to be mounted on the front door.

Wouldn't use it as a CCTV replacement but definitely fills a void for ease of installation. It's one of them that will be great for some but useless for others.
M135i F20 | EB | Pro Media | HK Audio | Sun Protection | Visibility Pack | Comfort Pack | Black Panel Display | Heated Seats

Two's Company
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

ANOTHER attempted theft

Post by Two's Company » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:21 pm

BobS61 wrote:
Two's Company wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:34 am

My annual premium for my M140i is £441 with a £250 excess. It's double what I was paying one my previous car (Seat Leon 1.4TSi) but oh so worth it :D
I’m comparing apples with apples though. You’re comparing an apple and a grape. Image

Difference is 400 in 2016 then and 1000 now. My circumstances are the same or slightly better.

Current Leon Cupra 290 Black Edition is half what the m140i would be to insure now.

My point is only that they are now a lot more to insure than in 2014 even though insurance in general has increased across the board since then.

N.M135i

Post by N.M135i » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:03 pm

I've thought about getting a steering wheel lock before, but the M steering wheel seems delicate and those things look quite heavy and cumbersome. Having read some user reviews, some people have complained that it's damaged or left permanent marks on their steering wheel.

Having read this thread, I'm thinking again of ordering one though. To anyone who's got one: Have you had problems with damage to the steering wheel or advice to get around damaging it?

Locoblade
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Locoblade » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Another attempted in Halifax, this time a 235 :/
https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1718030

Menace
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Menace » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:13 pm

N.M135i wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:03 pm
I've thought about getting a steering wheel lock before, but the M steering wheel seems delicate and those things look quite heavy and cumbersome. Having read some user reviews, some people have complained that it's damaged or left permanent marks on their steering wheel.

Having read this thread, I'm thinking again of ordering one though. To anyone who's got one: Have you had problems with damage to the steering wheel or advice to get around damaging it?
My Disklok has been on every night for the last 2.5yrs - no damage to steering wheel at all. Yes you get some imprints when you first use it but it soon goes. You can order a sock type thingy that covers the wheel before the lock goes on which helps a bit. If getting one for your knee ten you'll need the size: small.
65 plate F20 M135i / MG / auto / well spec’ed with: Eibach Pro's / F21 tension strut / black grilles, splitter, side blades & diffuser / full de-badge

Mr.B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mr.B » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Might be worth leaving some fake keys by the door. Maybe this will buy some extra time?

Just thinking how to rig these up to an alarm??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M7-Car-K ... 2332507943

wenklaw
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by wenklaw » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Menace wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:13 pm
N.M135i wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:03 pm

My Disklok has been on every night for the last 2.5yrs - no damage to steering wheel at all. Yes you get some imprints when you first use it but it soon goes. You can order a sock type thingy that covers the wheel before the lock goes on which helps a bit. If getting one for your knee ten you'll need the size: small.
I’ve used a disklock with the sock for years on numerous cars including my m135i and m2 and never has it damaged it.

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Mr.B wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm
Might be worth leaving some fake keys by the door. Maybe this will buy some extra time?

Just thinking how to rig these up to an alarm??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M7-Car-K ... 2332507943
If you could link it's 'unlock' button to a panic feature, that would be priceless. :lol:
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

BillTheButcher
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BillTheButcher » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:52 pm

Locoblade wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:18 pm
SimonRob wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:57 pm
Sorry to hear this mate!

Does anyone know what to look for on the locks? Mine have one star above a little heart, does that mean mine are sh*t?

If so, do I just take it out of the door, measure and order a new one? Assuming they are all the same fitment just different lengths
1 star locks like yours can be improved to the equivalent of 3 star security with suitable 2 star handles so they're certainly better than el cheapo no name cylinders you get free with a door, but from what I understand without the 2 star handles they're usually still susceptible to being snapped which is the way most are attacked.

If you want to upgrade then yeh, just open the door, undo the screw in the door shut that holds the cylinder into the door then turn the key a bit and withdraw the cylinder from the door, takes 2 minutes. Have a read of this on how to measure up properly..
http://www.upgrademylock.com/upgrade-my-lock/how/
Without upgrading to solid metal handles it's easier for them to get at the lock (by snapping off the hollow plastic handle) but the sacrificial section of a 3 star lock should still do its job even if the door's only got a plastic handle.

Upgrading the locks is easy, as described. If I can do it, anyone can. :) The only slight complication is if you've got French doors. One of our doors had a metal plate bolted across where the lock retaining screw was. I couldn't remove the plate because the door fitter had glued PVC panels over the ends of the doors. After Googling it I drilled a small hole through the metal plate to allow me to remove the screw. Job done. :)

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”