ANOTHER attempted theft

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin, Rich196

Timbartlett

Re: ANOTHER attempted theft

Post by Timbartlett » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm

Just to clarify for everyone the below fits on the m140 steering wheel absolutley perfectly.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001

Ashley1992
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Ashley1992 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Timbartlett wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:31 pm
135i King wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:34 pm
What area of heywood are you in bud? I'm in heywood and I'm just waiting for the night to come...
Heap bridge matey.
sh*t I’m not far from you! I’m from bury, my 240 is never parked in front of my house as I can never park in front! Not got comfort access so think I’m safe there but As my house is rented I can even add better locks etc as not my house
Bmw M240i

Paul CS
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by Paul CS » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Nathan135i wrote:
Paul CS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm
I’m pretty much in East London. I have a stainless steel pull up bollard and a Ring door bell. Touch wood, no issues.

By the way, I think the Ring door bell is way better than CCTV because it tells you the second anyone comes on you land no matter where you are in the world and it is recorded. Within in a few seconds that footage and be sent to the police.

Glad all was well in the end.

Paul
I've looked into the Ring Doorbell system but not sure if it's worth it. You could wire a POE Camera that covers 100% Field of view of your front driveway and the road. With motion alerts to email, nas, cloud and view on any device. Installation and storage are the main issue that will take time and money.

Ring is simple but easily defeated with a hammer and the quality/fov looks poor. May not suit many people as it has to be mounted on the front door.

Wouldn't use it as a CCTV replacement but definitely fills a void for ease of installation. It's one of them that will be great for some but useless for others.
Yes I get the DIY approach but I just don’t have the time to do all that and integrate it better than Ring.

Anyway, here’s a screen shot from my Ring Pro.

By the way, if someone does smash it, the evidence is on the Ring server and Ring will replace it for free. For life.

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

chester
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chester » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:01 pm

Personally i would give the RING a wide birth. I've had their stick up cam some 18 months now and powered by their solar panel which works well and the cam is well made but the issue seems to be with their app which is poor along with the cams wifi connection. I always get a delay between it picking up movement and notifying so in most instances the person is caught walking away from the cam instead of towards it, known issue with these. My cam also seems to be stuck in permanent night mode as well now. the app is buggy, things such as the battery indicator in the app is hit and miss which often means you have to delete the cam and re add it for the battery indicator to show the correct level. Sound is also hit and miss and often doesn't work.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

daboss1975
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by daboss1975 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:59 am

N.M135i wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:03 pm
I've thought about getting a steering wheel lock before, but the M steering wheel seems delicate and those things look quite heavy and cumbersome. Having read some user reviews, some people have complained that it's damaged or left permanent marks on their steering wheel.

Having read this thread, I'm thinking again of ordering one though. To anyone who's got one: Have you had problems with damage to the steering wheel or advice to get around damaging it?
I have used a disklok for the last 12 months with no damage. It does however leave indentations on the top of the wheel when you first remove it because of the weight of It but these come out after an hour or so. I tried to glue some foam inside the disklok on the point were it contacts the steering wheel for added protection which has helped - great deterrent though

Paul CS

Post by Paul CS » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 am

chester wrote:Personally i would give the RING a wide birth. I've had their stick up cam some 18 months now and powered by their solar panel which works well and the cam is well made but the issue seems to be with their app which is poor along with the cams wifi connection. I always get a delay between it picking up movement and notifying so in most instances the person is caught walking away from the cam instead of towards it, known issue with these. My cam also seems to be stuck in permanent night mode as well now. the app is buggy, things such as the battery indicator in the app is hit and miss which often means you have to delete the cam and re add it for the battery indicator to show the correct level. Sound is also hit and miss and often doesn't work.

I guess because mine is hard wired and close to the Wi-Fi router, I don’t have those issues with the bell or app.

Anyway. One size does not fit all.

Hope the OP finds something so he can rest easy.

Paul
M140i MR Shadow Edition. MP springs. Under frame brace.

chester
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by chester » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:20 am

Paul CS wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:14 am
chester wrote:Personally i would give the RING a wide birth. I've had their stick up cam some 18 months now and powered by their solar panel which works well and the cam is well made but the issue seems to be with their app which is poor along with the cams wifi connection. I always get a delay between it picking up movement and notifying so in most instances the person is caught walking away from the cam instead of towards it, known issue with these. My cam also seems to be stuck in permanent night mode as well now. the app is buggy, things such as the battery indicator in the app is hit and miss which often means you have to delete the cam and re add it for the battery indicator to show the correct level. Sound is also hit and miss and often doesn't work.

I guess because mine is hard wired and close to the Wi-Fi router, I don’t have those issues with the bell or app.

Anyway. One size does not fit all.

Hope the OP finds something so he can rest easy.

Paul
Its a shame as the cam itself is very made and the video quality is decent but Ring need to sort their App out. I've just taken the cam down to charge it up as the solar panel isn't quite so good in winter but it will be charging all the day and the battery indicator will still be on red. If hard wired it would be better like the door bell.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

Stegosaurus
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Stegosaurus » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 am

Such a shame, I thought we were rid of these awful topics for a while :( hope you're ok OP and you get everything sorted for an easy night
Current: 2017 M140i F20 in Estoril Blue 'Lydia'
Many options

Gone: F20 118d M Sport in Estoril Blue 'Bex'
2 laps of the Nurburgring completed, 136mph achieved (autobahn), 48k miles covered

Mr.B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mr.B » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:06 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:32 pm
Mr.B wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm
Might be worth leaving some fake keys by the door. Maybe this will buy some extra time?

Just thinking how to rig these up to an alarm??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-M7-Car-K ... 2332507943
If you could link it's 'unlock' button to a panic feature, that would be priceless. :lol:
Was wondering if I could swap the internals from this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/S4-NEW-WIRELES ... B0058N51PI

Mr.B
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by Mr.B » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:07 pm

Nathan135i
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by Nathan135i » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:58 pm

Paul CS wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:50 pm
Nathan135i wrote:
Paul CS wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm
I’m pretty much in East London. I have a stainless steel pull up bollard and a Ring door bell. Touch wood, no issues.

By the way, I think the Ring door bell is way better than CCTV because it tells you the second anyone comes on you land no matter where you are in the world and it is recorded. Within in a few seconds that footage and be sent to the police.

Glad all was well in the end.

Paul
I've looked into the Ring Doorbell system but not sure if it's worth it. You could wire a POE Camera that covers 100% Field of view of your front driveway and the road. With motion alerts to email, nas, cloud and view on any device. Installation and storage are the main issue that will take time and money.

Ring is simple but easily defeated with a hammer and the quality/fov looks poor. May not suit many people as it has to be mounted on the front door.

Wouldn't use it as a CCTV replacement but definitely fills a void for ease of installation. It's one of them that will be great for some but useless for others.
Yes I get the DIY approach but I just don’t have the time to do all that and integrate it better than Ring.

Anyway, here’s a screen shot from my Ring Pro.

By the way, if someone does smash it, the evidence is on the Ring server and Ring will replace it for free. For life.

Paul
Yeh the installation part is a bit of a biatch. Infact the ring pro quality looks rather good. Plus you have a bollard too. On another note that Melbourne red is gorgeous.
M135i F20 | EB | Pro Media | HK Audio | Sun Protection | Visibility Pack | Comfort Pack | Black Panel Display | Heated Seats

new666uk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by new666uk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Jon P wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:22 am
Deadlysub wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 am
Really sorry to hear this. Just because your house is new don’t assume the locks are 3 star diamond rated. It will say on the lock, if it’s British standard get them changed ASAP.
Agreed. My new house had the most basic euro cylinders. Double check.
Most Euro locks are 'standard' which seems code for poor. Replace them with some 3 star ones. I just fitter ABS Avocet. Takes a matter of minutes. Make sure you have the shortest ones you can to increase mole grip attack resistance although these are anti snap barrels already.

Disklok adds complication to potential crims too.
F21 M135i 3dr auto. Estoril blue, black leather.

Previously:
e46 330Ci M-Sport. Coupe, Imola red with black leather
e36 325iA SE with Alpina trim. Coupe, Black (met) with black leather
e36 325iA SE. Coupe, Lagoon green (met) with cream leather.

new666uk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by new666uk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:31 pm

marco_polo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 am
Just a barrel change. Any decent local locksmith will have a stock. Or eBay if you don't mind waiting a few days for delivery.
Barnsley Locks will supply good euro locks. Fitting is a diy job. Took my under 5 mins per door.

Previously:

Paulhayes88

Post by Paulhayes88 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Timbartlett wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 am
Hi guys,

Sorry to report that it has happened again. Was awoken this morning at half 1 to my Mrs screaming out of our bedroom window (front facing) ‘what the **** are you doing’ 3 lads immediately sprinting away up the street and driving away at pace (their car was hidden round the corner)

I woke up and rand down stairs but they had gone, picked my m140i up on Monday (after a 4 series being on the drive for 18 months) and 4 days later there is thieves at the door. Footprints round to the back door and all round the side.

Mrs was woken up my the door handle rattling and then trying Force the door open. Luckily the house is just over 12 months old so I’m assuming that all the locks are of modern standard and quite secure.

Safe to say that my car will now be at the back of the drive every single night. I’m out first every morning but the hassle of swapping the cars round is insignificant to the hassle of having to ring the insurance to say it’s been Stolen!

Will be installing a collapsible bollard on the drive I think and probably a CCTV system. I know that won’t captire much but might work as an deterant.

Phoned the police who arrived shortly after, he had a look round and took some details, not much they could do or say I guess.

Baseball bat on the list of purchase for this weekend. Found a beautiful little place next to the bed for it!

Heywood/Manchester/OL10 area.

To add to this yesterday I was at home. 11month old daughter in the house with me. My m135i lci on the drive. Two guys smashed their way in through my back door window using some sort or metal bar. 14:15 this was. I presume they thought no one was in. I confronted them and they got away. Police again didn’t really do much they just said they know it’s a problem.
I live in Castleton so just round the corner from yourself.
This is the 4th time in 12 months they’ve gone after my car.
Also fitted a collapsible bollard today.
They are after our cars relentlessly
Be aware all be very aware.

Paul
M135i Lci 5 door manual alpine white coral red
Renault Clio 197, gone
Fiesta ST 150, gone

new666uk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by new666uk » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:02 pm

Paulhayes88 wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 pm
Timbartlett wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:46 am
Hi guys,

Sorry to report that it has happened again. Was awoken this morning at half 1 to my Mrs screaming out of our bedroom window (front facing) ‘what the **** are you doing’ 3 lads immediately sprinting away up the street and driving away at pace (their car was hidden round the corner)

I woke up and rand down stairs but they had gone, picked my m140i up on Monday (after a 4 series being on the drive for 18 months) and 4 days later there is thieves at the door. Footprints round to the back door and all round the side.

Mrs was woken up my the door handle rattling and then trying Force the door open. Luckily the house is just over 12 months old so I’m assuming that all the locks are of modern standard and quite secure.

Safe to say that my car will now be at the back of the drive every single night. I’m out first every morning but the hassle of swapping the cars round is insignificant to the hassle of having to ring the insurance to say it’s been Stolen!

Will be installing a collapsible bollard on the drive I think and probably a CCTV system. I know that won’t captire much but might work as an deterant.

Phoned the police who arrived shortly after, he had a look round and took some details, not much they could do or say I guess.

Baseball bat on the list of purchase for this weekend. Found a beautiful little place next to the bed for it!

Heywood/Manchester/OL10 area.

To add to this yesterday I was at home. 11month old daughter in the house with me. My m135i lci on the drive. Two guys smashed their way in through my back door window using some sort or metal bar. 14:15 this was. I presume they thought no one was in. I confronted them and they got away. Police again didn’t really do much they just said they know it’s a problem.
I live in Castleton so just round the corner from yourself.
This is the 4th time in 12 months they’ve gone after my car.
Also fitted a collapsible bollard today.
They are after our cars relentlessly
Be aware all be very aware.

Paul
Jeez - sorry to hear that pal. They must really want your car. Maybe next time get it in an awful colour combo to put them off ;)

Previously:

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”