Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Re: ANOTHER attempted theft

Post by Thrash » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 am

Barney McGrew wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:53 am
Mad_Mac wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:42 am
Shocking but how many attempts we don’t know about... ?
I don't know why people think it's shocking.

Car theft isn't new. Go on any car forum for any decent/performance car and they are full of threads like these. Nice cars have always attracted thieves. I don't wish it on anyone and sorry to hear about this incident, but people seem a bit naive to this fact and don't take any precautions regarding security, even when they've been on forums like this and seen all the posts about thefts and security devices etc.

It's just something we unfortunately have to accept I'm afraid, so get some decent security and something as a visual deterrent.
I think it's shocking, when I first joined you hardly ever saw people talking about it on here. Now, every time I visit someone reports an attempt.
It isn't new but it was generally seen that these cars aren't as desirable to thieves as a Golf R, Audi S3, etc. and I think that's made people complacent.
I dread to think what insurance renewals will be like, people are already seeing huge increases.
2018 Mercedes-Benz C200 AMG Line Coupe Polar White
2017 BMW M140i Alpine White, Coral leather - 5 door, sports automatic, driver comfort pack, front & rear PDC, sun protection pack, heated front seats - gone!

Stueys

Post by Stueys » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 am

rydale13 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:02 am
Same advice I give to everyone.

Disklok is the most cost effective deterrent

3-star locks are the most cost effective preventative fix.

Edit: Removing and replacing a disklok twice a day would be far less of a pain than constantly shuffling around cars

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
This. Everyone should fit anti-snap locks (its cheap and standard euro profile is a joke) but if people are trying to snap a lock they've already decided to try to get in. You want to make it look like a tough target before it gets to that point - immobilised car, well lit areas, clearly visible alarm, no easy access to the side or back of property, etc, etc. Making it look as if you've thought about it will keep some of them walking by and looking somewhere else.

ChrisOllie
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by ChrisOllie » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:32 am

Stueys wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:23 am
rydale13 wrote:

Edit: Removing and replacing a disklok twice a day would be far less of a pain than constantly shuffling around cars

This. Everyone should fit anti-snap locks (its cheap and standard euro profile is a joke) but if people are trying to snap a lock they've already decided to try to get in. You want to make it look like a tough target before it gets to that point - immobilised car, well lit areas, clearly visible alarm, no easy access to the side or back of property, etc, etc. Making it look as if you've thought about it will keep some of them walking by and looking somewhere else.
This^
Unfortunately, there is a level of scum out there for which no amount of installed security will be a deterrent, jail isn't even a deterrent to them they probably enjoy it.
The best you can do really is make your situation as much of a PITA for them as possible to deter the 'casual' thiefs which are probably more common, and ensure your home as safe as possible for your family, the car can be replaced ultimately.
Lock barrels are literally a 2 min job and well worth doing
I did this and fitted an alarm, padlocks, spotlights etc - also have a baseball bat, with baseball.

Sadly/worryingly I think it's just going to get worse the way the country is heading. Not to get political or anything but it does seem from general every day sources of info (reddit/internet, tv, etc etc etc) - even generally walking about day to day that people are just getting nastier to each other. All the tone from the top seems to be screw those at the bottom and one way or another this won't be helping the rise in crimes such as this IMO.

Glad they didn't succeed in OP's case and everyone is ok
Mercedes E Class / Previously - M135 Manual / Alfa 159 Ti

Timbartlett

Post by Timbartlett » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 am

BillTheButcher wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:00 am
Sorry to read this. :(
Deadlysub wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:03 am
Really sorry to hear this. Just because your house is new don’t assume the locks are 3 star diamond rated. It will say on the lock, if it’s British standard get them changed ASAP.
^ This. Our new build is a year old. Our doors have got solid metal handles but all the locks were single star rubbish. I changed them recently to 3 Star TS2007:2014 barrels. I'm a complete DIY numpty and I managed to do them all in a matter of minutes.
Uncle Tupelo wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:58 am
Octavius wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:34 am
I can see the insurance costs of these cars rising significantly.
Is it the cars, or is it the areas?
I was surprised to find that my 140 is significantly more expensive to insure than my old RS3 and RS4, which I thought were proper thief magnets. :shock:
Thanks Bill! Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to pick up some of these better locks/barrels? I’m assuming it’s just the barrel you change?

marco_polo
Too Much Time To Waste Member

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:36 am

Just a barrel change. Any decent local locksmith will have a stock. Or eBay if you don't mind waiting a few days for delivery.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

BillTheButcher
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BillTheButcher » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 am

Timbartlett wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:34 am
Thanks Bill! Can anyone point me in the right direction of where to pick up some of these better locks/barrels? I’m assuming it’s just the barrel you change?
Yes, just the barrels. If your doors have got hollow plastic handles I'd consider replacing them with solid metal ones as well.

I took out the existing barrels, measured them and ordered replacements from Amazon. There are loads of useful guides on Youtube about how to measure and fit them. :) The anti-snap barrels come with a sacrificial external section (handily marked EXT on the barrels I bought). Just make sure you put them in the right way round. :lol:

OneTwenty

Post by OneTwenty » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 am

Sorry to hear this. :(

Just try your local locksmith place and ask for anti snap locks, ABS and Ultion are the best. Also ask them about PAS24 anti snap handles which then gives you a 5 star rating. A good mate of mine runs https://www.euro-secure.com which also sells everything you would need.

Look at buying sash jammers as well where possible.

However, for people worrying on the forum, we know about these thefts because we are on this forum. My Police mate deals with the car theft side of things round here and says that high performance car thefts, however they are reported on the news/TV, are much lower down than thefts of normal cars so we shouldn't worry as much as we do about it.
66 M240i Coupe, MW, Coral, Auto, Vis/Comfort/Sun, Pro Nav, Heated Wheel/Seats, Elec Seats/Lumbar, Adaptive, Camera/Park Assist, Speed Lim, HK, Split/Fold, WiFi/EBT, F/M

09 320d E91, Silver, Pro Nav, BT, Auto L/W, Ht/Leather, SPG, Cruise

BobS61
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by BobS61 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:08 am

rydale13 wrote:

Stop Lock Pro is even more cost effective than the Disklok and both are Thatcham approved.

Stueys

Post by Stueys » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 am

Pro tip is to get the replacement locks keyed alike so you only have one key for all your doors....

marco_polo

Post by marco_polo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:15 am

....assuming you need an external lock for your back door at all.
Silver F21 M135i - ManBox - HK - Adaptive + Eibach Pro's - BBS CH-R's - BMWP Drexler LSD - TMC Piggyback - M4 LCA's - aFe Dry Filter

Please help the Mod's by using the report [ ! ] button where appropriate

R1cey
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by R1cey » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:26 am

Stueys wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 am
Pro tip is to get the replacement locks keyed alike so you only have one key for all your doors....
Unless someone in the family loses a key, then expensive change, particularly if you have patio doors keyed alike as well!
R1cey
------------------------------------------------------
Current: F20 M140i Auto in Valencia Orange
Gone: F30 320i Auto X-Drive M-Sport in MG

Uncle Tupelo
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by Uncle Tupelo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:56 am

R1cey wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:26 am
Stueys wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 am
Unless someone in the family loses a key, then expensive change, particularly if you have patio doors keyed alike as well!
Yes, I was quite keen on buying my snap-proof barrels keyed alike, but thought better of it when I realised I'd have to change three barrels rather than one if and when a key got lost.
2016 220d Sport xDrive auto.

KR15
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by KR15 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:58 am

Octavius wrote:I can see the insurance costs of these cars rising significantly.
They already have. There were a few threads a while back full of people seeing big increases at renewal.

I had to put a lot of effort in a few months ago to try and get my premium in line with with the previous year.

Thefts + amateurs with Sport+ syndrome seem to have had an effect.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Current - BMW M140i, BCS Powervalve Cat Back :twisted:
Prev - Focus ST-3 Mk3.5 :D

Timbartlett

Post by Timbartlett » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 pm

Thanks for the support everyone.

Avocet ABS locks being picked up after work and will be fitted tonight! Let’s hope the scruffy little rats are deterred by that!

Also going to pick up some sort of steering wheel lock and put up with looking like a fool.

rydale13
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by rydale13 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:31 pm

After a week, you'll be a pro at putting it on and removing it.

It's always a shitter doing it in the rain but needs must.

Just don't get lazy as sods law means that'll be when they have another bite.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”