Big Traction issues

All things M135i related can be found in here

Moderators: Rich196, marco_polo, Producethis, Lambster, babybmwadmin

duckson
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Re: Big Traction issues

Post by duckson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:24 am

No problems on my Conti 850p (225 fronts, 235 rears) in the few hundred miles they’ve done.
M135i LCI; AW, Coral, 5dr, Auto, Pro Nav Media, BMW Advanced Audio, Adaptive Suspension, Comfort Pack, Heated Seats, Sun Protection Glass.

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 pm

9mm tread blocks ain’t nice for any driving apart from the ice and snow which is what they are designed for ! (Ironically once below 5mm they are rendered useless) Tyre manufacturers will say these tyres work up to temp’s of 7 degrees etc etc let’s face it they are trying to sell a product.
I tried conti 850p’s which get great reviews however my review of them was... below freezing they were good and work how they were supposed to ( never got to try them in snow or ice as we didn’t get any )
Temps around the 10 degree mark in the rain of damp they were lethal ! I took them off because they was just dangerous
So don’t be surprised when things warm up they will get wobbly.
I don’t want to sound like I’m putting these tyres down this is just my honest opinion , im sure they give people who use there car to commute a get deal of pleasure that they will be in a better position if the weather turns.
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

Aubergine_Joe

Post by Aubergine_Joe » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05 pm

I read this post shortly before a trip to the shops and didn't have an answer. Driving to the shops, my back end stepped out on a roundabout and I saw a VW Passat having trouble joining it too. Perhaps just greasy roads as others have said.

Oct 16 M140i. MPSS all round. Nearly 16k on clock. Good treads.

bigfellas_dad
Knowledgeable Member
Knowledgeable Member

Post by bigfellas_dad » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm

square setup nokian 225/17's here, nothing to report here, all good!
bmw M140i Shadow Edition Auto/MG/COG/BLACK and Honda CBR1000RR fireblade for when i want to go REALLY fast!
bmw 330i E90 SE
loads of company cars
7 Impreza STi's and 2 Lexus Soarers

BillTheButcher

Post by BillTheButcher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:28 pm

Aubergine_Joe wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05 pm
I read this post shortly before a trip to the shops and didn't have an answer. Driving to the shops, my back end stepped out on a roundabout and I saw a VW Passat having trouble joining it too. Perhaps just greasy roads as others have said.

Oct 16 M140i. MPSS all round. Nearly 16k on clock. Good treads.
Diesel or something equally slippery on the roundabout? I did a 180 on a roundabout in a loan Bora at very low speed. A Vauxhall of some description did exactly the same thing in the lane next to me. Fortunately we didn't hit each other or anything else. No warning at all, the car just snapped suddenly and I ended up facing the wrong way. It wasn't raining and the roads were otherwise fine. I can only guess that we both hit a patch of something.

alackofspeed
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by alackofspeed » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:50 pm

Nankangs are a fairly cheap tyre, so probably are like some Kumho winters I had on a previous car - worked brilliantly when very cold / snow on the ground, but above 2-3 degrees C they were significantly worse for grip than the Eagle Asym 2s I had on summer wheels.

GeeDee
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by GeeDee » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm

Diesel tends to be a sudden snap followed with a little slipperiness until it wears off. It won't continue being slippery for a whole journey - at least it hasn't on the 3 or 4 times I've hit it.

Always tends to be on corners which makes things interesting. :D
64 plate F20 M135i-Auto used in M :drive:-LSD-Sunroof-Bells & whistles-OBDII Reader-No dipstick-Jack in boot-Tesco 99-Can be driven off without key-Bluetack on mirror sensor-Handbrake bedded in-No obvious difference between Comfort & Sports

BillTheButcher

Post by BillTheButcher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:07 pm

GeeDee wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:10 pm
Diesel tends to be a sudden snap followed with a little slipperiness until it wears off. It won't continue being slippery for a whole journey - at least it hasn't on the 3 or 4 times I've hit it.

Always tends to be on corners which makes things interesting. :D
That was it exactly. I'm sure you can imagine how gentle I was with the throttle after finding myself facing the oncoming traffic. :shock: :mrgreen:

markhurley
Enthusiastic Member
Enthusiastic Member

Post by markhurley » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:20 pm

No tyre will help you on a diesel spill unfortunately, amazing how many spins are blamed on “it must of been diesel” lol
130i Birds B1 suspension,M3 front arms,M3 rear arms,Powerflex inserts ,BMWP strut brace,M135i front brake's,BMWP rear brake's, 28mm M3 front roll bar,20mm white line rear roll bar ,Quaife LSD,MPSCup2tyre's.

BillTheButcher

Post by BillTheButcher » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 pm

markhurley wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:20 pm
No tyre will help you on a diesel spill unfortunately, amazing how many spins are blamed on “it must of been diesel” lol
:lol:

If it had just been me I'd have put it down to incompetence/lack of talent.

new666uk
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post by new666uk » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:21 pm

No more issue than normal on my Goodyear winters. This it the 3rd and last winter I'll use them as down to around 5mm now. TC lights up a lot easier with these but different rubber and narrower than normal summers so just expect that.

As for temperature, last year I ran them Nov to about May so they saw plenty of days in the high teens and 20+ but I wouldn't say the performance was notably poorer. Admittedly I did have an Astra VRX push me on some country lanes but winter tyres aren't for racing.
F21 M135i 3dr auto. Estoril blue, black leather.

Previously:
e46 330Ci M-Sport. Coupe, Imola red with black leather
e36 325iA SE with Alpina trim. Coupe, Black (met) with black leather
e36 325iA SE. Coupe, Lagoon green (met) with cream leather.

Return to “M135i/M235i/M140i/M240i”