Baby BMW Forum banner

Big Traction issues

4K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  NISFAN 
#1 ·
Hi All,

The last few days ive had massive traction issues on my m135i, i know this time of year isnt the best but its alot worse than normal, to the point now that the car slides around roundabouts when driving normal speeds. Under low acceleration the traction light is flickering like mad while the back axle squirms around.

Ive got my winter tyres on so i dont see that as an issue, pressures are exactly the same as what they have aleays been. Ive driven it on loads of different roads and its the same on all surfaces.

Has anyone else experianced this before? Any help is apricated :)

#27 ·
Didn't someone post a video recently comparing the stopping distance of summer vs winter at low temps and winter lost?

They are definately more slippy from my experience but for that 1 day of snow they're so much fun. Hard to justify the expense for 1 day though

#29 ·
m20b25 said:
Didn't someone post a video recently comparing the stopping distance of summer vs winter at low temps and winter lost?

They are definately more slippy from my experience but for that 1 day of snow they're so much fun. Hard to justify the expense for 1 day though
Yes, summers completely destroyed winters on everything except ice/slush/snow, and noise.

#30 ·
NISFAN said:
I don't understand this thread, in my experience winter tyres generally bring on the yellow DSC light much easier. I put it down to the floppy tread blocks that mimic 'wheelspin' at the best of times.
It's simply because winter tyres have less rubber on the road than summers. They should never be looked at as a performance tyre for the cold weather.

On dry roads, even in freezing conditions summers will outperform winter tyres. The guy on Engineering Explained posted a YouTube video recently showing this in Canada in freezing conditions. On a dry road the summers still out braked the winter tyres.

They spin up easily with high torque cars, just something you have to accept, but they will get you out of trouble on ice and snow where summer tyres wont.

As said above, this is the problem with our climate, it's too variable in winter, especially in the south. A winter tyre will reduce performance generally over a summer tyre, but will get you out of issues should it snow or be icy.

#31 ·

Good video that

Provides good evidence that winter tyres are really just for snow and ice ... which is exactly what I thought and felt when tested a set , he is testing in minus conditions as things warm up I'm sure the results from the winters would get worst and worst.

#32 ·
Mines (Dunlop Winter Sport5) certainly tend to perform more poorly the warmer it is but with the snow we've had up here in Scotland they've certainly proved their usefulness. I drove past a stuck M140i in my estate yesterday much to his horror lol! I can live with the poor performance for the peace of mind I need on my long commute over hilly country roads which regularly see snow until spring arrives...

#35 ·
Boosted_Six said:
Winters are pretty horrible in anything less than negative temps / snow / ice. I really don't like the bloody things at all.
Got to disagree. They *can* be used all year but yes, performance in the warmer months is poorer. In <10 degree weather they provide better overall performance but should never be considered a performance tyre. If it's cold and potentially icy it might be better to not drive about like your arse is on fire anyway.

YMMV but for as my M is my daily driver and I do 100 miles a day I'd rather have some confidence in the cooler weather than be able to race.

#36 ·
Barney McGrew said:
NISFAN said:
I don't understand this thread, in my experience winter tyres generally bring on the yellow DSC light much easier. I put it down to the floppy tread blocks that mimic 'wheelspin' at the best of times.
It's simply because winter tyres have less rubber on the road than summers. They should never be looked at as a performance tyre for the cold weather.

On dry roads, even in freezing conditions summers will outperform winter tyres. The guy on Engineering Explained posted a YouTube video recently showing this in Canada in freezing conditions. On a dry road the summers still out braked the winter tyres.

They spin up easily with high torque cars, just something you have to accept, but they will get you out of trouble on ice and snow where summer tyres wont.

As said above, this is the problem with our climate, it's too variable in winter, especially in the south. A winter tyre will reduce performance generally over a summer tyre, but will get you out of issues should it snow or be icy.

This is why the subject of winter tyres is such a grey area.

For me, I live in the lower part of England, where we don't get much snow and ice. So for me to put winters on, I'm in effect taking a 10/10 grip tyre off (MPSS) and fitting 7/10 grip tyres (winters), in the off chance we get some snow which renders the 10/10 grip MPSS a 2/10 instead of 5/10.

About a month ago, I landed back at stansted near midnight, drove home in sleet, -2.5 on the dash. I was worried it might turn to snow, but I'll continue. I come round a slight bend on the brow of a hill to be greeted by some ****** overtaking and on my side of the road. So in an instant I'm pointing downhill, doing around 60mph, on wet icy sleet covered road, -2.5, wearing MPSS, car coming at me at god knows what speed, and closing fast.
In my mind I thought this is going to end badly considering the above. Slammed on the brakes, abs in full chatter, but surprisingly the tyres generating really good grip, which stopped me way quicker than I expected. ****** boy dives into his lane about 3 meters from where I have almost stopped, collision avoided. I honestly don't think winters would have performed any better, or perhaps even matched that performance.
That has reinforced my view that winters are not required by me, yes I will have to leave the car at home sometimes when it does snow, but it's hardly a regular event.

Someone in the Welsh valleys or Scotland or even Brighton will think differently, and I respect that. Freedom of choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.