Baby BMW Forum banner

Bugger, pot hole

3K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  mouse140i 
#1 ·
A420, Oxfordshire, boom, flat spot so noticeable didn't really need to measure it, on the inside edge.
Rights, where's best to get another front wheel, Cotswolds?

#5 ·
I hit a horrific one on Thursday... worst I've ever hit and made a horrible noise. Can't notice anything wrong with the front of the car but what should I be looking for? What's a flat spot as the OP says?

#8 ·
The council will only give you money if the pot hole has been previously reported. If not, and you are the first to report it, they give nothing.

Which is a bit insane given the level of workmanship around most drainage covers is pretty awful. I am no expert but they always just seems to cave in.

#9 ·
I've claimed twice in recent years and had success both times. Neither road was the council's responsibility.

One was a sunken manhole cover on Riverside Drive in Aberdeen. The council instantly put me on to the water company and deemed that was their responsibility.

The second was the A90 and that road is maintained by BEAR.

Both cases took quite a while to settle. BEAR were especially slow to respond.

The solicitor acting on behalf of the water board wasn't easy to deal with either. They were fighting over the cost of having a wheel repaired as it would be subject to "wear and tear anyway". They were trying to account what the lifetime of a wheel would be and factor that in.

You've got to make an effort to keep costs down. Prove you've asked for a couple of quotes to repair or replace the damaged items.

Don't expect the cheque to come soon, but that road is impossible to justify.

#11 ·
As a Highway Engineer who works for a council... nothing will happen quickly. Depending on the circumstances,you may get a pay out. As mentioned above if it's been reported, deemed unsafe and requiring repair and no completed within the allotted time window.

With regards to replacements around ironwork. The reason is, due to the small amount of material put around ironwork, the metal cools the material too quickly thus undermining it. If iron work replacements / adjustments are made during a full resurface, then there shouldn't be any problems. Although, over time with larger heavier vehicles, the vibrations from the iron work will break the carriageway up around said cover. And repair works are only ever temporary from that point, although large companies are testing new materials out to improve the longevity.

Tl;dr - claim! There's always a good chance.

Also, be aware. Due to the wet weather, pot holes iin lol be abundant at the moment (more than usual)

#13 ·
marco_polo said:
M--O--L--E said:
Think I've just answered my own question [emoji36][emoji36][emoji36][emoji36]

Letter to the council incoming!
Technically that's known as an 'egg', often leads to a blow-out so please take it slow until replaced.
Thank you for the warning; bit scared tbh as I only noticed it this morning and since hitting the pothole on thurs I've been up to over a ton on two occasions. Will take it easy for sure until the new tyre is here!

#14 ·
RJW_1989 said:
Makes you glad you pay your road tax doesn't it ...... happened to my leon cupra , sent a crack the full diameter of the alloy council couldnt care less ended up copping the bill myself
"Road tax" doesn't go directly towards paying for the roads though. It's vehicle excise duty, but everyone does call it road tax although it isn't.

The roads are a mess this year. A fortune has to be spent.

#15 ·
Kerr said:
RJW_1989 said:
Makes you glad you pay your road tax doesn't it ...... happened to my leon cupra , sent a crack the full diameter of the alloy council couldnt care less ended up copping the bill myself
"Road tax" doesn't go directly towards paying for the roads though. It's vehicle excise duty, but everyone does call it road tax although it isn't.

The roads are a mess this year. A fortune has to be spent.
i know its not ring fenced as such for just the roads but still.... if you could see where it went it would be nice.... i know it goes into the NHS and stuff but thats knackered too .... then all of a sudden they sling millions into a cycle super highway for 3 people a week to use while poor lads like the OP is getting is wheels smashed to bits on the roads that he has contributed towards through his " tax " dont want to turn this all political haha but the taxing set up in this country really grates on me

#17 ·
Octavius said:
We should all pay an extra £100 per year RFL to help maintain our roads. Could work out cheaper than replacing tyres and wheels.
Sorry, I pay car tax buying the car. Vat on the car and on the car tax. Tax on the petrol I burn. Vat on tyres and consumables. And the money spent is about half what I earn because I already pay 40% of my income in tax.

Another £100 a year would disappear into the same hole that the rest of my hard earned is shovelled into by incompetant bureacrats and free loaders.

I pay all my taxes, make no attempt to avoid and would never considering evading, but lordy I dont want to pay any more.

#18 ·
Same happened to me early December but my tyre exploded and had to crawl 1 mile to Kwik fit

No damage to wheel luckily but council fobbed me off saying road was inspected in November and no defects found and I was first to report it. When they fixed it though they left all the other potholes. :rollseyes:

Still appealing now!

Good luck

#20 ·
The roads are an absolute disgrace at the moment, like a third world country. Very difficult to enjoy the driving experience when you're constantly looking for potholes. And that thing you do when you see one and it's too late to avoid it...lifting your arse out the seat...what's all that about!

#21 ·
ellingtj said:
Looks like the hole was reported on the 10th of Jan, still there today. They can get their cheque book out.
The Council have a number of weeks to repair a pot hole once it has been reported, not sure but something like 4-6 weeks. I had pot hole damage to two wheels on a previous car, two separate occasions and each time I tried to go after the Council but they got away with it.

#22 ·
Tony444 said:
ellingtj said:
Looks like the hole was reported on the 10th of Jan, still there today. They can get their cheque book out.
The Council have a number of weeks to repair a pot hole once it has been reported, not sure but something like 4-6 weeks. I had pot hole damage to two wheels on a previous car, two separate occasions and each time I tried to go after the Council but they got away with it.
I would argue it shouldn't be up to Joe Bloggs to report problems with their own roads that they should be actively repairing.

The roads are in the worst state at the moment. I have never seen them worse, in any country I have been to.

#23 ·
same happened to me this week, humped a pothole (looks more like a bloody trench) at 30-40. couldn't see it as it was coming out of a big sweeping bend in the dark. Blown tyre wall and misshaped alloy - £600 invoice to replace both and sort the alignment and tracking... safe to say i'm compiling my evidence to slap on the councils desk come Monday morning.

oh and the cars only done 900 miles.... :redface:

Attachments

#25 ·
McTrucky said:
Octavius said:
We should all pay an extra £100 per year RFL to help maintain our roads. Could work out cheaper than replacing tyres and wheels.
Sorry, I pay car tax buying the car. Vat on the car and on the car tax. Tax on the petrol I burn. Vat on tyres and consumables. And the money spent is about half what I earn because I already pay 40% of my income in tax.

Another £100 a year would disappear into the same hole that the rest of my hard earned is shovelled into by incompetant bureacrats and free loaders.

I pay all my taxes, make no attempt to avoid and would never considering evading, but lordy I dont want to pay any more.
Don't forget council tax, also I pay company car tax too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.