Baby BMW Forum banner

OBD Protector - Sky Insurance - Update from Insurance!

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Sie 
#1 ·
Hi all

I've been in touch with a few insurance companies, one being sky insurance, they told me that I need to fit OBD Protector, I've read up about the tech and my only concern is how it'll respond to the JB4!? Does anyone know how they'll react toegther!?

Sky Insurance can fit it for £230 not £329

Thanks
Neil

#5 ·
Interesting that you haven't got one, I'll tell them that Tricky!! Thanks!

Well they, its required for insurance so I guess they won't insure me without it, I was with Adrian Flux so I've still got options! Still curious about it and the JB4 interface!?

#8 ·
Update -

Hi Neil,

Thank you for your email.

With regards to the tuning box it wont effect it in any way. I have a couple of short videos that show how it all works which I will send over to you. You get a card to use with the system.

All of our customers that have keyless entry or start cars will all have to have this fitted to be insured with us. Its now a requirement that all of our insurers are asking for. This has only come into effect since October / November last year due to the increase of thefts.

Please find below links to 3 short videos about Portector which I recommend that you watch prior to installation.

Portector explainer video

Portector operation (what happens when system is armed and unauthorised access attempted)

Portector arm and disarm operation (how to use your security authorisation cards)

Please be aware that the Portector once disarmed, will by default, re-arm itself after 8hrs should you or a technician forget to do so manually (this is a Thatcham Quality Assurance Requirement)

Before disarming after a default re-arm please ensure the toggle switch is set to the correct position see video above.

So its now a requirement from Oct/Nov onwards!!!

#9 ·
Am I missing something here, what has obd2 protection got to do with keyless entry or start. Yes it will prevent coding a new key through the obd2 port but things have moved on and now thefts are more common from stealing keys or relaying the key.

#10 ·
un1eash said:
Am I missing something here, what has obd2 protection got to do with keyless entry or start. Yes it will prevent coding a new key through the obd2 port but things have moved on and now thefts are more common from stealing keys or relaying the key.
Yeah it's to stop them making a key from the OBD port and yes they are behind the times, but it is still a major flaw in the security that is widely used so a valid protection.

This is why I liked the AW Ghost, as even with a coded / stolen key it wont start (lets not get into a debate on implications as usual though).

I'd look for a different insurer unless you don't mind the protector being imposed on you.

#13 ·
I still think its a protection worth doing, they may be better ones out there but I'm getting a good deal on this and if its one more thing to **** off would-be thieves then I'm all for it!!

#14 ·
BMWNeil said:
I still think its a protection worth doing, they may be better ones out there but I'm getting a good deal on this and if its one more thing to p*ss off would-be thieves then I'm all for it!!
It's ok, but it only stops access to the OBD though. Any other attempt such as relaying or stealing the keys wont protect the car.

A proper immobilisor system (whether Ghost or something else) would be much better as it covers all those.

#18 ·
They asked me those questions but no I don't have comfort access, I had it on my VXR and wasn't a particular fan. Like I said, I don't mind going with Sky Insurance, even if I have to fit some addition security, Its hardly a bad thing is it!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.