Baby BMW Forum banner

M140i cold start

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Glund91 
#1 ·
I'm sure one of the more technical minded on here will know the answer.

Why when I press the throttle very lightly on the cold start , does it turn the exhaust volume back to its idle volume. You can actually hear something in the engine compartment move (egr perhaps?)

I've found it a very handy trick with the MPE and early starts. It helps with neighbour relations.

#2 ·
Not technically minded but something to do with waste gate. Something like it opens up for the cold start but closes when you press on the throttle and it is the open waste gate that gives the increased noise?

I am sure someone will be along with a proper explanation but that is what I have gathered atm.

#3 ·
Glund91 said:
Not technically minded but something to do with waste gate. Something like it opens up for the cold start but closes when you press on the throttle and it is the open waste gate that gives the increased noise?

I am sure someone will be along with a proper explanation but that is what I have gathered atm.
Yeah this^

Waste gate fully open to speed up warming the cat. Bit of throttle closes the wastegate.

I really wish bmws didnt have these OTT cold start sequences, with a performance exhaust they are just obnoxiously loud for 30s for minimal/zero benefit.

#4 ·
RDowson said:
I like the loud start but not at 7am when I'm heading out to work. I wish there was a way you could set it not to do it at certain times.

I know there is another car that lets you select a window for quiet starts. It was on an episode of the Grand Tour.
I might be wrong but was that the Mustang? Called Neighbour mode or something?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.