Baby BMW Forum banner

mpss vs mps4?

2K views 35 replies 9 participants last post by  NISFAN 
#1 ·
I have a full set of MPSS tyres, front 7mm and back 4mm and I must admit I am not impressed, they slip quite a bit from hardly any force in the wet? I am coming for Goodyear AS3's on my old car and they were much better? Why is it BMW want these tires on over what seems to be much better tires?

I don't know if I should just get some MPS4's for the rear or some GAS3's? Eitherway the MPSS are pretty bad tires so far imo.

If I was to change the rear tires to MPS4 am I best to change the fronts (even though they have 7mm) to them as well? Or can I get away with just changing the rears?

Cheers

#2 ·
MPSS are great on hot sunny blasts, and will even tolerate a few track days as long as you don't stay out for way too many laps.

Not so great on cold wet roads though, you can't have it all. I'm on Asym 3's, and they are better in the wet (like a PS4), no way I could use them on track though.

It's a shame we can't fit anything wider than a skinny 245/35/18 on the back, maybe consider some decent wider wheels (especially if you're thinking of remapping).

#3 ·
marco_polo said:
MPSS are great on hot sunny blasts, and will even tolerate a few track days as long as you don't stay out for way too many laps.

Not so great on cold wet roads though, you can't have it all. I'm on Asym 3's, and they are better in the wet (like a PS4), no way I could use them on track though.

It's a shame we can't fit anything wider than a 245 on the back, maybe consider some decent wheels (especially if you're thinking of remapping).
Hmmm maybe I should blast the 4mm of tread that is left on these rears on the track then and then replace? Why could you not use PS4's and Asym's on a track? Is the grip that much better on the MPSS's?

Any recommendations on wheels? I have the stock 18's on at the mo, but woulod be happen to love to some 19's?

#4 ·
19's are for show only, worse ride / road holding, and more expensive too. I often wish I'd gone for 17's instead of my 18" BBS.

Asym 3's would melt too quickly on track, they're too comfort/rain oriented. Good all round road tyre though, nice & quiet.

What style wheels do you like?

#5 ·
marco_polo said:
19's are for show only, worse ride / road holding, and more expensive too. I often wish I'd gone for 17's instead of my 18" BBS.

Asym 3's would melt too quickly on track, they're too comfort/rain oriented. Good all round road tyre though, nice & quiet.

Are asym3's better the ps4's in the wet? I want whatever tires are best the rain because of the country we live in.

I like CSL's

#6 ·
marco_polo said:

Would you take MPS4's on a track? Do you think I should chnage the front set of MPSS on the front as well?

#7 ·
Uniroyal Rainsport 3's are the best in the rain, quite a floppy tyre wall though, won't feel anywhere near as direct/precise as the MPSS.

No, I wouldn't take PS4 on track personally.

Yes, swap all 4 tyres at the same time if you're going to. Stiff MPSS on the nose plus floppy rears will result in unstable handling.

These wheels might suit you?

#8 ·
marco_polo said:
Uniroyal Rainsport 3's are the best in the rain, quite a floppy tyre wall though, won't feel anywhere near as direct/precise as the MPSS.

No, I wouldn't take PS4 on track personally.

Yes, swap all 4 tyres at the same time if you're going to. Stiff MPSS on the nose plus floppy rears will result in unstable handling.

These wheels might suit you?
Floppy rears as in the ps4s are floppy? what tires od you track with?

I do like them good shout. Why would they be better then the 18s I already have though?

#9 ·
Because your rear alloys are skinny at 8" wide, those will alloy you to run a 255/35/18 rear for more traction. I thought you were struggling for traction??

For a track set you want something R spec like Yoko AD08R's, Toyo R888's, Michelin Cup 2's, Dunlop DZ's, etc.

#10 ·
marco_polo said:
Because your rear alloys are skinny at 8" wide, those will alloy you to run a 255/35/18 rear for more traction. I thought you were struggling for traction??

For a track set you want something R spec like Yoko AD08R's, Toyo R888's, Michelin Cup 2's, Dunlop DZ's, etc.
I am mate so thanks for that. I may keep the MPSS for tracking then. I am surprised that MPS4's wont be decent for a track as well though

#12 ·
marco_polo said:
Jay1er said:
I am surprised that MPS4's wont be decent for a track as well though
Why's that? They're designed with wet weather in mind.
Just the reviews I have seen on them on tyre reviews, they got first places on a a lot of tests for on the dry. I will just have to try my MPSS's out on the track then I guess

#14 ·
#16 ·
marco_polo said:
Jay1er said:
Marco, what do you reckon to these?
I'm not a fan of 19's, or cheapo Chinese replicas. They're always total garbage, soft as puppy sh*te.

MPS4-S are good boot though.
Okay well as long as I find some genuine 19s will the tyres be good for tracking and normal driving? As in will these be better on the wet then asyem3s?

Also why don't you like 19s?

#17 ·
19's are purely for show only, worse ride / road holding, and more expensive too. I often wish I'd gone for 17's instead of my 18".

Shame Michelin don't make MPS4-S in 17" or 18". :(

BMW 624m are really good 19's, very light and as tough as your granny's fanny.

#18 ·
I was only after the 19s for the tires really as like you said they don't come in 18s. So the car will not handle as good round the track with 19s on?

#19 ·
As long as they're nice and lightweight (like those 624m's I mentioned earlier), they should be ok. You'll have less tyre wall to absorb any lumps and bumps, which can mean more NVH and more chance of rim damage. I'd go with forged wheels (rather than cast crap) if you want 19's, so much stronger.

#22 ·
marco_polo said:
Yup, PS4 or Asym 3 for road use. I'm on 3's currently, but will probably try PS4 next time for a change. I get through tyres pretty quickly, so if I don't like them the problem will be short-lived.
haha, Sorry Marco, it was a question. Which of them would you choose?

they are both much cheaper for a set of 4 than the MPSS...

James

#24 ·
marco_polo said:
marco_polo said:
I'll probably be trying PS4 (for the road) next time around.
marco_polo said:
I will probably try PS4 next time for a change.
Not sure how else I can say this?! Next time I fit new tyres, they'll probably be PS4's.

I haven't tried them yet, so can't give you a comparison currently.
that's all well and good Marco... but which ones should I choose? ;)

Sorry, i must have been skim reading. Thanks for the input anyway

James

#26 ·
by Kyleralph078 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:19 pm

Ive currently got the runcraps on mine is there much of a difference between those and the mps4? Really want the mpss but is the price difference worth the grip difference in the dry....
I am a month into swapping from Runcraps to the PS4 tyres (M140i), I could not recommend you do it quick enough, night and day difference in feel, better grip, much much better cold and wet weather performance, crucially they remain predictable unlike the runcraps. The dry grip is improved to the point where the body roll is much more noticeable and I am considering suspension mods !

Whatever your poison, get of the runcraps, for me they really stunted the car....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.