Baby BMW Forum banner

Other drivers 'trying it on' - is it a car colour thing?

7K views 83 replies 48 participants last post by  Np01 
#1 ·
I've noticed this a lot more than I did in my last car (blue Focus ST), other drivers trying to push me to go faster (tailgating) when I'm already at the speed limit. Is this a 'red car' thing or do the other colours suffer the same thing?

Most enjoyable when they try it just before an NSL road though ;)

#27 ·
Shadak said:
I have a feeling that the faster car I have the less people want to race ... I guess it has a certain intimidation factor (at least around here, Ive only seen 2 140s in the last year, and maybe 1 135).
This. I constantly got bullied/tailgated in the 116i but never in the A5. Only had the M2 for just under a week but have yet to experience anything like what I did in the 116. All cars are white so nothing to do with the colour I think.

#28 ·
I experienced it for the first time when I had a dark blue lotus Elise. It's really bizzare - guys would come up and tailgate me on a quiet motorway and try and force me to pull away. If I did, they'd just catch me up again and repeat the whole process. So I quickly learnt to slow down, if anything. After a while on an open motorway at 60mph they invariably gave up and raced off to hassle someone else. But it was fairly rare.

What really annoymed me was driving cross-country to our HQ office and going through villages at 30mph. Some drivers thought that because it was a Lotus I should be breaking the speed limit - why? It's to do with not running people over; driving into the back of horses; school crossings etc. You just have to ignore it.

#29 ·
msej449 said:
I experienced it for the first time when I had a dark blue lotus Elise. It's really bizzare - guys would come up and tailgate me on a quiet motorway and try and force me to pull away. If I did, they'd just catch me up again and repeat the whole process. So I quickly learnt to slow down, if anything. After a while on an open motorway at 60mph they invariably gave up and raced off to hassle someone else. But it was fairly rare.

What really annoymed me was driving cross-country to our HQ office and going through villages at 30mph. Some drivers thought that because it was a Lotus I should be breaking the speed limit - why? It's to do with not running people over; driving into the back of horses; school crossings etc. You just have to ignore it.
I expect they are just that significant number of people that think all roads are driven at 40mph, regardless of the actual limit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
I like taking the bait, especially from Golf R's etc but only when the conditions and roads are safe to do so and never in 30 zones or built up areas - I do like a little fun away from lights on dual carriageways though in Sport+. ;)

However, I seem to get little attention in the 240 which is fine by me, I like that it's relatively speaking a Q-Car - even a lot of petrolhead I know don't seem to realise what it is! :lol2:

#31 ·
OneTwenty said:
I like taking the bait, especially from Golf R's etc but only when the conditions and roads are safe to do so and never in 30 zones or built up areas - I do like a little fun away from lights on dual carriageways though in Sport+. ;)

However, I seem to get little attention in the 240 which is fine by me, I like that it's relatively speaking a Q-Car - even a lot of petrolhead I know don't seem to realise what it is! :lol2:
I was waiting for this comment, I too enjoy the bait. Obviously only in safe areas, so my favorite is when they are right up my backside and we get onto a slip road for the motorway. I embarrass the hell out of them and then I am happy to cruise at 70 when they eventually sail on by at god knows what speed.

Like others my slower cars got more attention and even though the M140i is relatively subtle people somehow know not to try it on.

Funnily enough I find that the most common car I have had a bit of fun with is other M140 owners in which case it's evenly matched and just having a laugh rather than trying to prove who is Billy big bollocks.

#32 ·
josedebardi said:
msej449 said:

I expect they are just that significant number of people that think all roads are driven at 40mph, regardless of the actual limit!

These people need to be banned....from life

#33 ·
Glund91 said:
OneTwenty said:

I was waiting for this comment, I too enjoy the bait. Obviously only in safe areas, so my favorite is when they are right up my backside and we get onto a slip road for the motorway. I embarrass the hell out of them and then I am happy to cruise at 70 when they eventually sail on by at god knows what speed.

Like others my slower cars got more attention and even though the M140i is relatively subtle people somehow know not to try it on.

Funnily enough I find that the most common car I have had a bit of fun with is other M140 owners in which case it's evenly matched and just having a laugh rather than trying to prove who is Billy big bollocks.
Best one I had was last year leaving the BTCC at Oulton Park. We were heading for the M56 from Warrington and going round the roundabout to pull onto the two lane slip road (near B&Q for anyone local to there).

Guy in an Octavia VRS who had been driving normally in front of us, suddenly spotted that we were in a 240 behind him and started getting all racy and preparing himself to "slaughter us" I imagine. ;)

So we pull onto the slip road and as expected he goes mental and boots it. Needless to say I floored it in Sport+ and just left him for dead, it was just no contest even though it looks modded/mapped (he was a fellow BTCC day tripper).

Good fun and as we hit the motorway I chilled out at 75 and he flew past at higher speeds.

Childish, but enjoyable!! :lol2:

#34 ·
I've noticed that since becoming a BMW driver that I constantly have people driving just 2 inches from my front bumper, it does get annoying sometimes.

#37 ·
I think its a younger driver thing, there is money where I live so there are plenty of Golf R's and A45 AMG's and a particular S5 being driven by lads half my age (on looks alone). They will be driving along normally, until they see a "worthy" opponent of which my black 140i seems to be deemed and goes nuts, sitting up your chuff, multiple car overtakes into oncoming traffic, really silly stuff... I do get to play with some more sensible spirited drivers but for me, 9/10 in my neck of the woods if its a Golf R or A45 I turn the defensive driving level up to 12.... reminds me of spanking around on 400/600cc bikes as a teenager.... The old me, would think the young me was a twat and have nothing to do with it i'm sure :)

#38 ·
Nah, I see plenty of 'mature' men and women driving the usual Insignia/Mondeo/Passat CC right up my arse, overtaking me only to pull in right in front of me because they wanted to come off anyway but just had to get in front of me, or 'racing' off from the lights. It happens regardless of age.

I'm all for a bit of fun (where it's safe enough) and if I'm in the mood I'll have a play back. It's fine until things get dangerous! I'm mature enough to know when to back off.

Having said that, I notice a lot of people on here almost making out that they don't break the speed limit. Give it some in 2nd and 3rd and you're already getting close to 100mph! You can't leave any of the modern diesel motorway cars behind without breaking the speed limit. They've all got well in excess of 200lb/ft and you'd be hitting somewhere near 100mph to really open up any sort of a gap in most cases. If you're going to try and 'put someone in their place' but then stop accelerating at 70mph, what's the point?

We've all got to have a bit of fun, perhaps exceed the speed limit a little from time to time (using your judgement as long as it doesn't get silly). If not, the only place you're ever going to have any fun in your M Performance vehicle is at the track. I personally use my M140i to get to work and back every single day so it's more than just a toy for me. I have to try and enjoy it on the public roads, otherwise I might as well have bought a 118d.

Going off topic slightly from the OP's original point - no it's nothing to do with the colour of your car.

#39 ·
scov1984 said:
Nah, I see plenty of 'mature' men and women driving the usual Insignia/Mondeo/Passat CC right up my arse, overtaking me only to pull in right in front of me because they wanted to come off anyway but just had to get in front of me, or 'racing' off from the lights. It happens regardless of age.

I'm all for a bit of fun (where it's safe enough) and if I'm in the mood I'll have a play back. It's fine until things get dangerous! I'm mature enough to know when to back off.

Having said that, I notice a lot of people on here almost making out that they don't break the speed limit. Give it some in 2nd and 3rd and you're already getting close to 100mph! You can't leave any of the modern diesel motorway cars behind without breaking the speed limit. They've all got well in excess of 200lb/ft and you'd be hitting somewhere near 100mph to really open up any sort of a gap in most cases. If you're going to try and 'put someone in their place' but then stop accelerating at 70mph, what's the point?

We've all got to have a bit of fun, perhaps exceed the speed limit a little from time to time (using your judgement as long as it doesn't get silly). If not, the only place you're ever going to have any fun in your M Performance vehicle is at the track. I personally use my M140i to get to work and back every single day so it's more than just a toy for me. I have to try and enjoy it on the public roads, otherwise I might as well have bought a 118d.

Going off topic slightly from the OP's original point - no it's nothing to do with the colour of your car.
^^ this.

I'm not going to pretend to be an angel, i have penalty points for speeding so won't be a hypocrite.

TBH there's only been a handful of times when other drivers have tried it on and its usually when my 4 year old son is in the car so i don't bother. If I'm alone in the car and the conditions permit ill have a bit of fun providing its safe to do so. Its suprising how many cars can not keep up with the 30-70 pull at full chat these Mx40is torque is awesome.

Before the 140i i had a white scirocco and nearly every journey i had someone try to race me.

#41 ·
Bingers said:
scov1984 said:

^^ this.

I'm not going to pretend to be an angel, i have penalty points for speeding so won't be a hypocrite.

TBH there's only been a handful of times when other drivers have tried it on and its usually when my 4 year old son is in the car so i don't bother. If I'm alone in the car and the conditions permit ill have a bit of fun providing its safe to do so. Its suprising how many cars can not keep up with the 30-70 pull at full chat these Mx40is torque is awesome.

Before the 140i i had a white scirocco and nearly every journey i had someone try to race me.
It's about not incriminating yourself on a forum in public. :wink:

Police have used forums to prosecute people before. So yes officer, I never went over 70. :lol2:

#42 ·
Boosted_Six said:
Boils my p*ss actually
Red m235i - constant tailgating is a big issue for me down residential streets oddly. Never on the open road.

I stick to 30 rigidly in built up areas as you never know when a cat / dog / child will jump into the road.

Had to politely explain the danger of this situation to a middle aged woman in a VW UP two weeks ago, she appeared to be sat in my back seats.
It's obvious what your problem is. You've stupidly chosen to be a law abiding caring driver instead of being a complete toolbag in a 30 limit. Clearly your fault [emoji6]. Glad to hear I'm not the only one driving at 30 with cars tailgating me. Good job sir.

Must admit I love a good meat measuring contest on the right roads though (the risks I've seen some people take are ridiculous). Shocked an E92 M3 a month ago by proving the 240i is marginally quicker in a straight line.

Super mini's almost immediately back off as soon as the foot hits the go pedal and they realise it's not going to look good if they commit. It really comes down to the situation for whether I get annoyed or have a smile on my face. As for the number of times it must be a location thing. I'm in the north west and can normally find at least 1 car pulling out the tape measure per week.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

#43 ·
This all baffles me a bit! I've had M3s, M5s and my current m135. I do around 300 miles per week and in the 12 years I've been driving, not once has anyone tried to 'race' me! I'm not a slow driver however have had idiots come right up behind me in 20/30 limits but they soon back off once they pay attention and see the speed limit.

#44 ·
OneTwenty said:
It's about not incriminating yourself on a forum in public. :wink:

Police have used forums to prosecute people before. So yes officer, I never went over 70. :lol2:
Seriously, is that where our freedoms have got us, to the point where people are scared to type on the internet incase of self incrimination. Have i just been transported to post war Russia...

In which case, can i just make a disclaimer, everything i type is probably utter bollocks.

#45 ·
Stegosaurus said:
josedebardi said:
msej449 said:

These people need to be banned....from life
Would you mind ****ing off for a minute.

Lets be honest, we don't all drive glued to the speedo, the only time you really watch it is when your at risk of getting a fine, or to not crash. Not because you want to save the kids or someones granny. You're out to save your own skin as much as all of us. Get down off your horse.

99% of normal people just drive to the conditions. Maybe start banning members of your own family first.

#46 ·
No its because you're driving to bloody slow. Thats fine if you want to, more power to you and well done.

last time I was driving at 70mph down the motorway, i was in the slow lane, that's even with smart motorways, so lets not pretend everyone's an angel or should be.

#48 ·
The only person that has wanted to race me was a white M140i driver ... I don't do that but quite why he wanted to have a go when I have an M240i convertible is beyond me !! He was a total idiot driving too ... I just let him go ... His car looked absolutely brand new as well so either he was totally mad, it was a lease car, not his or he simply didn't care !

Mine is black btw :D

#49 ·
I was having a very short "play" with a 3 series touring on a fast open A road a couple of weeks back, he was relatively close to me but not too close to be of any real danger but I was cruising at just under 70mph until I came to a long dip in the road which rises around a nice long bend. I planted it briefly to about 85mph to make some distance but he kept right up so I thought I'd better back off as I'm not prepared to do silly speeds or get into some kind of race. I slowed back down to about 60ish and the touring overtook me quite sensibly and pulled back in...then the blue flashing lights came on!! Fortunately he was just keeping me in check and once happy he knew I'd seen him he swithched his lights off and carried on.

Disclaimer: if the Police read this then this story is bollox, I don't even own a car or even drive for that matter.

#50 ·
I've got some 'Pull me over' stickers on the back of my car, (JB4 sticker & **************) I get A LOT of people trying to race me, although I enjoy slowing right down to 10-15mph in a 30 (if there is no-one else around) and pretend to look for a house or something :lol2: pisses them right off, also my car is obnoxiously loud so sometimes at the lights if someone is revving trying to get me to race, I give them a rev, deafen them and then let them boot it and look like an idiot doing it on their own :lol2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.